╌>

Gabbard won't disclose who's paying for secret trip to Syria

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  aeonpax  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

Gabbard won't disclose who's paying for secret trip to Syria

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s office won’t say who is paying for the Hawaii Democrat’s controversial trip to Syria and Lebanon this week.

Gabbard spokeswoman Emily Latimer said the trip wasn’t funded using taxpayer dollars and was approved by the House Ethics Committee but wouldn’t provide further information when pressed by POLITICO. The lawmaker is currently on the trip, though it's not clear exactly when she'll be returning. “For security reasons, we will not be releasing additional details or comments until she returns,” Latimer said in an email.

Congressional leaders were blindsided by Gabbard’s trip to war-ravaged Syria with staffers saying she didn’t give the customary advanced warning to Democratic or Republican leadership offices. Latimer wouldn’t say whether Gabbard met with Syrian President Bashar Assad. Lebanese officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the trip.

source; http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/tulsi-gabbard-secret-syria-trip-233762

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Aeonpax    7 years ago

`

Tulsi Gabbard first came on my radar when she supported Sanders. I like her. She's a maverick and doesn't blindly follow anyone.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

If I remember correctly she basically told the dem establishment to stuff it along with Wasserman-Shultz. I like her.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

No one knows anything about her trip, but praise it anyway. That makes a lot of sense. confused

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I hope it's coming out of her own pocket and not mine. Wink

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

I like her positions on Syria. However, Syria is unstable and extremely dangerous. I don't see how she's traveling there without the protection of Assad and/or the Russians. She doesn't disclose who's paying for her trip but negotiating with the Syrian government (on her own) may be a violation of the Logan Act. I assume that she knows what she's doing.