╌>

CNN: IF TRUMP IS KILLED DURING INAUGURATION, OBAMA APPOINTEE WOULD BE PRESIDENT

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  release-the-kraken  •  7 years ago  •  43 comments

Network slammed for encouraging violence with bizarre report.

CNN has been criticized for airing a report which revealed that an Obama appointee would become president if Donald Trump was killed during an attack on the inauguration tomorrow.

Entitled  Disaster could put Obama cabinet member in Oval Office , the report admits that there is no specific threat targeting the inauguration, but goes on to speculate about “who would be in charge if an attack hit the incoming president….just as the transfer of power is underway”.

An individual named the “designated presidential successor” will not attend the inauguration as a security precaution, “but it won’t be a Trump cabinet secretary….it will be an Obama appointee,” reports CNN.

The report emphasizes that “a president from the prior administration” will take power if there is an attack due to the fact that none of Trump’s cabinet secretaries have been confirmed yet.

According to CNN, the designated presidential successor is likely to be Tom Shannon, the Under Secretary For Political Affairs, and an Obama appointee.

The report teases the potential for an attack on the inauguration by asserting it would create “chaos” and “high theater,” before airing clips from ABC’s  Designated Survivor  show in which Kiefer Sutherland plays an obscure cabinet secretary who is “unexpectedly thrust into the presidency after an attack at the capitol during a State of the Union address.”

Given the huge number of death threats leveled at Trump – including one family friend of Hillary Clinton who was  arrested  after he threatened to assassinate Trump at the inauguration – is CNN irresponsible in drawing attention to this issue?

Respondents to the video on YouTube, which was heavily thumbed down, slammed CNN for almost encouraging a violent attack against Trump.

“Totally not suggesting anything here, huh CNN?” commented one.

“So leftist terrorists know who they need to take out, so that dems can stay in power? This is irresponsible journalism,” added another.

“I flagged this video as dangerous to the president elect, and that it might foment violence,” wrote another.

The charges are not without precedent. After Thomas DiMassimo tried to rush the stage to violently confront Trump during an event in Ohio last year,  CNN gave him a platform  to denounce Trump as a “bully”.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

I'm thinking that they would have to get Pence also, as he was elected to the term of Vice President, succession rules would suggest he would be next.  Of course, if someone blew everyone up, President Obama and Joe Biden would likely be killed also.  I agree, CNN is certainly scraping the barrel here.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I don't why I waste my time, but since the nefarious Infowars is involved, I will briefly. 

I think CNN got a little carried away with sensationalism, but, as always Infowars misrepresents the situation. 

The video starts out by mentioning all the security precautions for the inauguration. And then goes into what if a terrorist attack (or an attack by a US enemy) succeeded anyway. What would happen if all these people were killed before any of Trump's cabinet choices are confirmed? Obama, Biden, Kerry , and all the rest of the Obama cabinet (presidential line of succession) and Trump and Pence. 

Because Trump has not yet officially nominated and had his cabinet confirmed, the "designated survivor" , by default a current Undersecretary of State,  would become president . 

The Infowars headline

implies that there is a motive for Obama to encourage Trump's assassination (that he would then get to name the next president , skipping over Pence. )  In reality the CNN report supposes that Obama and Pence would both be dead, along with every other high government official. 

In the Infowars story, it is not even directly mentioned that Obama and Biden would have also been killed in the attack. The Infowars story leaves its low information audience with the impression that Obama might be rooting for trump to be killed. 

Just another low life story, yes, but moreso by Infowars than by CNN. 

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

The whole thing just sounds like the plot of a poor TV show.

CNN: IF TRUMP IS KILLED DURING INAUGURATION,   OBAMA APPOINTEE WOULD BE PRESIDENT Related image

Of course, ( since we're dealing in the dark fantasies of info wars ), lets assume that Obama survives and the wipe-out takes place before Trump is officially sworn in, wouldn't that leave open the option for President Obama to declare Martial Law and that he would continue as President until the "War on Terror" is won?

Get your panties in a wad over that scenario Alex Jones! (ha)

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

`

I cannot find any link or source from CNN that can verify, validate or authenticate that they indeed made this claim, other than infowars and they do not even will not provide source. Until then, this story is false.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent

My point still remains, there is the link to this video from a CNN source? As I stated before, I cannot verify it back to CNN. A video has a source. Could you direct me to it? Thanks.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent

My point still remains, where is the link to this video from a CNN source? As I stated before, I cannot verify it back to CNN. A video has a source. Could you direct me to it? Thanks.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

I cannot find any link or source from CNN that can verify, validate or authenticate that they indeed made this claim, other than infowars and they do not even will not provide source. Until then, this story is false.

The real question is since Trump won the election, would the Republicans in the Senate choose the President to replace him even if Trump, Obama and several Cabinet members were killed?

The video is misleading even without Infowar's misleading title in the first place. 

It was, in my opinion, to be misleading by CNN.  Why is it important to have a video talking about Obama and some of his cabinet members getting killed before the inauguration, when most people who don't care for him will be thrilled to see him leave and why spoil that for themselves?

CNN's objective was to be misleading and Infowar's title was right on with what CNN was trying to make people think.

CNN  Obama Cabinet member to take over.JPG

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

It was, in my opinion, to be misleading by CNN.  Why is it important to have a video talking about Obama and some of his cabinet members getting killed before the inauguration, when most people who don't care for him will be thrilled to see him leave and why spoil that for themselves.

What a bizarre comment. Some of the thought processes on this site are horrendous. The Infowars article misrepresents the video. The Infowars article does not even mention that Obama would also be killed in this hypothetical attack. The headline implies that Obama would choose the successor. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

CNN is misleading the people by putting up a useless video talking about who in Obama's Cabinet would become President if he were killed, when he is leaving office anyway.  They were trying to mislead the people by centering their attention on something like that instead of centering their attention on who what the future held for the incoming President.  They didn't mention anything about that, which should be the important aspect of this scenario.

Look, I can't help it if you've been conditioned for so long you are unable to think things through to its logical conclusion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
(deleted)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
(deleted)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago
(deleted)

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

To me, CNN is simply educating the public on how the line of succession works because it's certainly not common knowledge. In this case, both the president and Vice President have been designated by the electoral college and the election has been certified by congress. 

Succession is determined by the 20th and 25th Amanedments and the presidential succession act. To get down to the designated survivor, the president, Vice President, ranking officials in the congress, and the entire line of succession through the cabinet would have to either be dead or ineligible to be acting president. In that unlikely event, then the designated survivor becomes president until congress elects a new speaker of the house who is third in line for succession to the presidency. The speaker becomes acting president to serve out the rest of the term. The House is firmly in Republican hands so the next acting president would be a republican. 

The designated survivor may be an obama appointee but there would hardly be any point to killing off the entire line of succession just to have him serve as acting president for a hot minute and then be replaced.  Infowars is spinning an innocuous story into something nefarious. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

The designated survivor may be an obama appointee but there would hardly be any point to killing off the entire line of succession just to have him serve as acting president for a hot minute and then be replaced.  Infowars is spinning an innocuous story into something nefarious.

That is my point, why even educate the people about what would happen to Obama's people if you're not going to continue the story and tell what the final outcome would be?  Since when has CNN become the glorious educator of the people, I might ask.  They had an agenda in my opinion, to center the attention on leaving the people to think Obama's people would be left in charge and never touched on the the final result.

I agree Infowars title was off, but the objective of CNN was exactly what I said, center attention on Obama and Company and neglect discussing the final result of such action.  And I can see how it could lead some to think Obama and Company would maintain control.  You and I may realize this isn't the case, but without fully discussing it from start to finish, I'm afraid some would not.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

That is my point, why even educate the people about what would happen to Obama's people if you're not going to continue the story and tell what the final outcome would be? 

Even so, I don't see anything nefarious about it. CNN didn't need to finish it because I doubt it ever occurred to them that anyone would take that gap and fill it with speculation that CNN was encouraging someone to assassinate anybody (let alone the entire line of succession) so an obscure Democratic official could be acting president until immediately replaced by a Republican. If Infowars wanted to help, then it should have provided the final outcome itself rather than speculative nonsense. . . but then, if they did that, their story would fall apart.