╌>

Trump decides to skip White House press dinner

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  41 comments

7 / 18

By Mike Stone and Andy Sullivan 16 mins ago

President Donald Trump points to the media up as he walks on the South Lawn upon his return to the White House in Washington, U.S., February 24, 2017. © REUTERS/Yuri Gripas President Donald Trump points to the media up as he walks on the South Lawn upon his return to the White House in Washington, U.S., February 24, 2017.

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he would not attend the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner, a high-profile event that draws celebrities, politicians and journalists.

"I will not be attending the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner this year. Please wish everyone well and have a great evening!," Trump wrote on Twitter.

On the campaign trail and in the White House, Trump has had a strained relationship with the press, calling journalists "the enemy of the people" and frequently criticizing outlets and individual reporters whose coverage he does not like.

The reporters' group said it would go ahead with its April 29 dinner despite Trump's absence. The Washington event typically draws movie stars, politicians and business leaders to hear a humorous speech by the sitting president.

The dinner "has been and will continue to be a celebration of the First Amendment and the important role played by an independent news media in a healthy republic," said Jeff Mason, a Reuters White House correspondent who heads the association this year.

Ronald Reagan was the last president to sit out the event after he was shot in 1981.

Some news outlets such as Bloomberg News and the New Yorker have said they will not host the lavish after-parties that have been a fixture of past events.

On Friday, the White House excluded several major U.S. news organizations, including some it has criticized, from an off-camera briefing held by the White House press secretary.

Reporters for CNN, The New York Times, Politico, The Los Angeles Times and BuzzFeed were not allowed into the session in the office of press secretary Sean Spicer, a decision that drew strong protests.

The event occasionally makes news: in 2011, President Barack Obama delivered a scathing evisceration of Trump, joking that the mogul, who sat stone-faced in the audience, would move on from questioning Obama's citizenship to figuring out "did we fake the moon landing."

Critics say the event encourages journalists to cozy up to politicians they should cover aggressively.

(Reporting by Mike Stone and Andy Sullivan in Washington; Editing by Mary Milliken and Andrew Hay)

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

At least Ronnie had a good excuse.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

I still can't believe it.  This is a huge step backwards for Trump.  He'll spin it to his liking, but any intelligent person knows what his absence will really mean.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

It means that he's a coward.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Bring on Alex Baldwin...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Bring on Alex Baldwin...

Now that is a good idea.  It will be just like Hollywood in their make believe world where there are no homeless, no middle class families trying to make ends meet, no criticism of their egos and they can fill right at home.  I expect Obama will be there and it will be like old times.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Just like the world Trump lives in! Perfect!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Obama isn't president any long Six. I hope that your aware of that fact. Or any fact for that matter.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

It means he won't give the liberal media an opportunity to attack for their own partisan motivations. Good decision.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

He is sinking. 

Trump knows the dinner's host will make fun of him. 

But worse, he would be called upon to tell jokes too, and he knows he sucks at it. Trump is a horrible public speaker.

It is a mirage and a hoax that he is a good speaker. He has a tiny vocabulary that he butchers every day. 

The White House Correspondent's Dinner would not be his type of thing. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

How terrible. Trump won't participate in a partisan sideshow./s

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

The White House Correspondent's Dinner would not be his type of thing.

I don't blame him.  I never did care to hangout with a bunch of smug Democrats.  Pretty smart actually.  His ratings will probably go up after they lambast him all night when the dummies put it all over the TV and the public sees it.

200.gif#3

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

"Since Donald Trump is refusing to take part in the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, one actor wants Alec Baldwin to host the event as Trump.

On Saturday evening, Trump tweeted that wouldn’t be taking part in the annual tradition that involves the President of the United States laughing at jokes told at his expense, while telling jokes of his own in front of the White House Press Corps. No president has skipped the annual correspondents’ dinner  in three decades .

Zach Braff came up with a brilliant idea. The Scrubs  actor tweeted his hopes that Baldwin would bring his legendary SNL impersonation of Trump to the stage."

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Brilliant idea! Must see TV!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Maybe Alex can castrate the Supreme Court Justices like Obama did.  Now that would be funny, wouldn't it?

Kavika
Professor Principal

I think that Alex Baldwin would be a perfect stand in for Trump...

Just thinking about draws gales of laughter.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

Even George W Bush had pretty good stand-up riffs at those dinners. Trump shows no evidence of having a genuine sense of humor. There's millions of pics with him smiling (bigly) but I don't believe I've ever heard him actually laugh out loud in natural way. Kinda odd.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

His smiles always look phony. I agree with you, it doesn't seem as if he has any sense of humor at all.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

It certainly is a difference from Obama, who was a joke.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k8TwRmX6zs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

He was a better comedian than a president.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

He is a better everything then the thing pretending to be the President now. He was and is a source of real pride. Trump is nothing more then a cause for embarrassment.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Obama was an embarrassment. The first affirmative action president. He certainly did not earn his position. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

The first affirmative action president. He certainly did not earn his position.

Now that is a fact!!!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

That's a joke.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Six wouldn't know a fact if it hit him in the head.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Do tell if he received the necessary number of electoral votes how he didn't earn the presidency?

With Trump earning even less electoral votes than Obama, he didn't earn the presidency either.

Kavika
Professor Principal

(CNN) Alec Baldwin has two Emmys and an Oscar nomination. But a newspaper in the Dominican Republic may have given the actor his highest praise yet.

The Dominican Republic&#39;s El Nacional confused actor Alec Baldwin with his spoof target, President Donald Trump.

&lt;img alt="The Dominican Republic&amp;amp;#39;s El Nacional confused actor Alec Baldwin with his spoof target, President Donald Trump." class="media__image" src="http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170212094301-dominican-republic-paper-baldwin-trump-0210-large-169.jpg"&gt;
El Nacional apologized Saturday after identifying Baldwin as President Donald Trump, whom the actor impersonates regularly on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" to critical praise and Trump's oft-tweeted displeasure.
On Friday the newspaper published a photo of the actor along with a caption calling him, "Donald Trump, president of the USA." The photo accompanied a news article about Israeli settlements which also had a photo of (the actual) Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu.
Oops.
"The situation went unnoticed by those who revised page 19," the newspaper said in a statement Saturday. "El Nacional apologizes to its readers and anyone who felt affected" by the error, it said.
Is it Baldwin on the left, or Trump on the right...?

&lt;img alt="Is it Baldwin on the left, or Trump on the right...? " class="media__image" src="http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170210190441-alec-baldwin-donald-trump-split-restricted-large-169.jpg"&gt;

Baldwin, sporting a blond wig, orange makeup and a constant pucker, has been lampooning Trump on "SNL" since October. His impersonation has apparently not gone unnoticed by Trump, who tweeted last month, "NBC News is bad but Saturday Night Live is the worst of NBC. Not funny, cast is terrible, always a complete hit job. Really bad television!"

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

He actually does a pretty good impersonation of Trump.  I'd like to see them use him for the event.  I think it would be funny and be a boost for Trump all at the same time.

And being the nice guy I am I feel it could be therapeutic for them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Speaking of therapeutic Six, you should follow your own advice.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

It's impossible for Donald Trump to be funny, or human for that matter.  Good for him to stay away and let the professionals handle it.  I'm sure he'll cover it on twitter, in the most moronic terms possible.

Kavika
Professor Principal

A 10 MINUTE ''TIME OUT'' FOR EVERYONE COMMENTING HERE.

NO MORE PERSONAL INSULTS.

AFTER 10 MINUTES PUT DOWN YOUR COLORING BOOKS, WIPE THE SAND OFF YOU BUTTS AND COMMENT WITHOUT INSULTS...LOL IF THAT'S POSSIBLE. (I'm included in this time out)