╌>

Waitress Left IN SHOCK After She Sees Note “Cowboys” Left Her on Receipt

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  7 years ago  •  67 comments

Waitress Left IN SHOCK After She Sees Note “Cowboys” Left Her on Receipt

Source

Most of us take a few moments to decide whether to tip 15 or 20 percent when we receive the bill at a restaurant. But one group of customers at Busboys & Poets in Washington D.C. scrapped those usual numbers and, instead, aimed much, much higher.

Waitress Rosalynd Harris, who is black, found herself waiting on a table of white Texan men wearing cowboy hats. Just a few days earlier, Rosalynd had participated in the Women’s March; the men were in town for Donald Trump’s inauguration.

Seeing as they were coming from very different perspectives during such a contentious political season, their interactions could have been uncomfortable, to say the least. However, everything turned out to be quite the opposite.

After the men left, Rosalynd was shocked to see the numbers on the receipt: a $450 tip for a “subtotal” of $72.60. Along with this amazing tip, came a note.

The handwritten note read: “We may come from different cultures and may disagree on certain issues, but if everyone would share their smile and kindness like your beautiful smile, our country will come together as one people. Not race. Not gender. Just American. God Bless!”

“You automatically assume if someone supports Trump that they have ideas about you,” Rosalyn shared. “But (these men are) more embracing than even some of my more liberal friends, and there was a real authenticity in our exchange. This definitely reshaped my perspective. Republican, Democrat, liberal are all subcategories to what we are experiencing. It instills a lot of hope.”

Busboys and Poets is a socially progressive restaurant and artist’s lounge, designed to help “inspire social change and begin to transform our community and the world,” as written on their Facebook page. What their cowboy customers did for one of their waitresses is in keeping with this restaurant’s goal to foster harmony in our society.

“We all have the American spirit,” said Jason White, the man who left the tip , “And it’s really our duty to make America great ourselves—not one person. And that’s by respecting and loving one another, no matter how much we disagree with them.”

Rosalynd, a professional dancer, needs to move to a new apartment soon, and was worried about being able to afford the initial fees. She shared that the tip is “a huge weight off my shoulders.

The act of kindness has become an inspiration to many Americans, as well as a source of hope. When it seems like the world is too short on charity and generosity, we can find some comfort by remembering this story instead.

Gratuity.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary    7 years ago

A very nice story.  I hope you enjoy and can see the good in this story.  Maybe this is something we can think about instead of telling each other how wrong they are?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Sadly it didn't get much traction.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Surely you don't expect the ultra-liberals on this site to acknowledge that conservatives, or those who support Trump, could possibly be good, kind, loyal Americans.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, when did you become so partisan? crying

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Since some members accused him and others of being Russian partisans. Repeatedly.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

And vice versa on the name calling with Obama (I feel I have to give a Jonathan disclaimer, LOL), but Buzz is a Canadian living in China and I have known him for a very long time. He was always a moderate kind of fellow. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Yes, he has.  And Cerenkov, I just published an article a couple of weeks ago that said the republicans were kind, loving, normal people, and you gave me flack for it.  What do you want?  

I certainly acknowledge that we're all just people, and we all have our faults and strengths, AND we have to work together to fix our problems.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

The article you posted was condescending. That was the only flack I provided. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

It was not my intention to be condescending, for sure.  I thought it was a good article, for it's point of view, because it acknowledged what I truly believe-- that most people are good and decent.  It did offer a different point of view.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I feel the same way as you do, Perrie. Circumtances  change things, I guess

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

C.... But I did not see any denials from B. and others. Just more contradiction and insults, rather than moderation and explanation. We are all not as smart as some of us think they are.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  deepwaterdon   7 years ago

Okay, Stop It.  Go re-read the article if you need to and try to stick with it.  I've watched the comments and discussion on this article go the full range of moonbatism and it needs to stop.  This is about reaching across the imaginary aisle and taking the hand of someone that disagrees with you, it's not a forum for people's personal hates (this statement is meant for everyone) to be expounded on.  Let me let you know something.  We already know how you feel about ____________.  You don't need to endlessly repeat it, especially on an article that is searching out middle ground. (Sorry Don, this is just where this comment ended up).

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Spikegary.... You are 100% correct, I am 100% guilty of intolerance, and I apologize to you, those who may have been offended, and to the members of NT as a whole. It won't happen again!

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Okay, let me reach across the aisle and try and  connect with the average trump supporter by thinking like one.

I think this white guy (clearly race was important since they needed to point out the recipient was a black girl) thinks by giving a black person a big tip it shows that trump supporters aren't racists.

Whew!  Now we all can move on because this guy over tipped a black girl and it wipes away all the other racist, misogynist, bigoted comments and actions by trump and his supporters.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I'm glad you are able to think in at least one dimension.  The story also pointed out the that the restaurant they were eating in was a bastion of liberalism, but they all found a way to get along-far more than I see here on Newstalkers by some members.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I've had lunch at this very restaurant several times.  It's very eclectic and artsy so you're probably right to say it's a liberal area and diverse.  

I'm not sure what the problem is here.  I thought we just agreed this one act has proven trump and his supporters aren't racists.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I never thought they were. Just a bunch of liberal haters that were trying to smear him. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

So it's partisan to acknowledge that many Trump voters could well be good loyal kind Americans?  Do you question when other moderates veer to the left in a partisan way? Is it possible to be a moderate with right leanings or is the definition of moderate to side with the left most of the time?  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/173/164/nailed_it_RE_20th_Century_fox_theme_on_flute-s240x320-227191.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

"Buzz, when did you become so partisan?"

Well, I could say the devil made me do it, but I won't. I just published an article called "The Divided States of America", and I have to say that although it's relatively farcical, it does IMO describe the direction that the USA is heading. Over the years I have seen the two parties turn from being somewhat co-operative to now trying to cut each others' throats, in other words heading in extreme opposite directions. Certain members of NT seem to be trying to be at the forefront of those extremes, so it's hard to try to stay centrist but I do try. Because of the comments and articles that have been applying those extremes I will take shots at them, as I just have which is why you made your comment, and frankly I think the word "liberal" should represent NOT being extreme, so if I lean somewhat in the other direction as a counterbalance, so be it. However, how can you say I'm being partisan if in fact I'm very much like left-leaning Dershowitz in that I support gun control (my comments that everyone should be armed becasue of the creeping caliphate or the impending civil war are obviously exaggerated), Pro-choice, free speech, environmental controls, but I'll swing right wing, as does Dershowitz, when it comes to supporting and defending Israel, and concern about what is happening to Europe and even more concerned about the same infection seemingly starting in North America. 

I agree with what XX just wrote above my comment.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Buzz, when did you become so partisan?

I don't think his statement is partisan.  Haven't you read all the comments on here and watched the News?  Anyone who supports Trump is deplorable.  Hillary herself said that.  This site is full of comments how Trump supporters are greedy, selfish and any number of other things that make Trump supporters ignorant, backward according to many comments on here and the MSM.

I don't think it is partisan to acknowledge the truth.  I know, bad things have been said on both sides, but this article is evidently about some Trump supporters who prove not all Trump supporters fit into a box no more than all Hillary supporters fit into a box.

I don't think what Buzz said was partisan.

Now let me see if I can come up with one from another perspective.

Some Liberals stopped at a restaurant and a white guy with a Trump cap waited on them.  Well...... I better stop here.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

A very nice story.  I hope you enjoy and can see the good in this story.

I agree. Very nice story. Refreshing for this site. Thanks for posting it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

It ruins the impression of us that progressives want to portray.  This reality is interfering with their desired stereotypes of us

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Why does it have to always be 'them against us' on every issue, XX? How about merits, pro or con, on individual issues. Not blanket, vitriolic opposition against everything a progressive may support.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

A Wonderful story, Spikegary!  I can see from some of the comments that some on here didn't "get" it...  

BAsically, we're all just humans.  We have to help each other to survive.  thumbs up

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Maybe you don't get it?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Maybe he don't?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Wonderful story Gary. 

I am disheartened by some of the responses here. Very different from the message that the article was trying to portray. The bottom line to these Trump supporters was that we are one nation, no matter who we vote for. And obviously, this woman felt the same, or she wouldn't have shared it with the press. We are not as divided as some partisans would like you to believe. Both of these parties seem to get that message. Good for them!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

The cynic in me says that on the other hand, it was a small price to pay for national recognition.  I bet his dental practice enjoyed a nice boost.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Hal,

Have to disagree. I've been to Austin, which is Texas' most liberal city, with my mom for heart surgery and it was "Super Tuesday", and the whole hospital waiting room was voting Republican, so I doubt it had any effect on his business. Also he had to bank on the idea that the story would end up in the press.

Sometimes people are just good.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

It was just a thought.  I've never had the kind of disposable income required to leave $500 tips, so my cynicism is perhaps misguided.  You have to admit though, it's gotta be bringing him some good cred.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

What surprises and disheartens me is that some people would think that liberals and progressives would not also think this was a great story and be glad it was posted? I honestly don't have any idea why anyone would think that?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Persons who think that doing such a graceful thing is for the purpose of earning themselves good Karma are mistaken, because really good Karma goes to those who shy away from expecting any credit for their actions. It always bothered me to see the donor's name shown on facilities that they donated towards. Unfortunately many good facilities and charities would not exist if they did not cater to that kind of egotism.

877104.png

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I don't really believe in Karma. It's just that when I do something good I always try my best to do it anonymously, because my mom always said if you do something good and if someone finds out that you did it, then it doesn't count. She never said what it didn't count for. Just that it doesn't count. I still hear her in my head saying it. I wish I had thought to ask her what it didn't count for before she passed away a little over a year ago. It's funny how you think of the little things and questions like that when it's too late.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Also true Buzz!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Thanks Randy.  That was the point, but some are so busy sticking to their positions, they cannot (or will not) see anything else.  It's a sad and disheartening thing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

It's called paying it forward. I think it can make a person feel good. (can you tell that I am not a cynic?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

"Paying it Forward" was a good movie - wish it were more of a reality.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Too sad....I got choked up.....I hate it when I get choked up at a movie....or TV show....I feel manipulated somehow....