╌>

WD 40 Ad from 1964 .....it would be a test of humor in this day and age.....

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  41 comments

WD 40 Ad from 1964 .....it would be a test of humor in this day and age.....

This is a genuine Ad from 1964 when WD-40 was first released.

cid:000801d26fa3$e43cd4f0$0202a8c0@AGLAssoc

I'm aware of the many uses of WD 40, but the ''man sized pressure pack'' is a new one on me.

Please feel free to have a good time commenting on this. I know some of our members can come up with some good one.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

I use WD in fishing.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Image result for WD-40 Old Advertisement

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you, Kavika!

Now that's a good ad!  Oh for those days of relative innocence and peace!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

You call that innocence? winking LOL

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I was a kid in the 1960s, and no, I wouldn't have thought it to be anything other than a WD40 ad.  It's kind of like the 1930's song, I Like Bananas 'Cause They Have No Bones. ..  Today, we immediately see the double entendre and laugh about it-- but back then, no one would have thought anything about it-- it was a song about FRUITS.   LINK

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

hahahahaha - somehow I think they new exactly what they were doing.  :0)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Then again.....lol

I have got to find that in poster size!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I use WD in fishing.

Umm...fishing for what, exactly?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Do I really have to say sister...LOL

Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Do I really have to say sister...LOL

Well, no.  But an autographed pictorial would be just dandy. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

LMAO.....you'll have to use your imagination, sister.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

I use WD in fishing.

Umm...fishing for what, exactly?

Believe it or not, FISH!

It's a fish attractant, spray it on your lures and fish will strike them without thinking almost....

One intrepid fisherman almost 70 years ago decided to use it to keep his expensive lures from rusting during the off season. Next season he was the talk of the area cause it seemed like he never failed to get his limits. Until he started using another product to protect his lures that was recommended to him by a friend. His apparent fish whispering skills went back to normal yelling and screaming at non-biting fish.

When one of his lures picked up a bit of rust, he went back to his WD to protect them, and his innate mental communications with the fish, convincing them to bite his hook returned...

After a couple of sessions of fishing, one intrepid fisherman realized that everyone's catch totals went up when this guy was in the water. Of course anything or anyone that catches more fish than anyone else is analyzed to kingdom come. one of the other fishers put two and two together and the secret was out.

WD40 is a powerful, almost irresistable fish attractant.

Illegal to use in many sportfishing jurisdictions.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     7 years ago

LOL I use to use it  fishing as well , was told it was made of fish oil , that's why it worked , but that's a myth, it works because its a water displacement agent and creates little air bubbles behind the lure, a good spat of chewing tobacco on a worm does the same thing.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

I use it to take the human smell off the lure...it works.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Smart!  So, THAT's why Daddy kept his lures in packages in the fridge, like the meat keeper...

Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Smart!  So, THAT's why Daddy kept his lures in packages in the fridge, like the meat keeper...

I've only been familiar with the can that has the self-extending...nozzle.  The repeated squeezing action would give the user full...extension...control.

Kavika
Professor Principal

LMAO, not going there.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

My Urologist gave me a promotional pen once from a salesman for some ED drug (I forget which one). The upshot was that it was an ink pen folded in half and when you pushed a tiny button near the end it very slowly opened into a full sized pen. I loved it!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

... a good spat of chewing tobacco on a worm does the same thing.

Gross.  So glad I'm a city boy.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I used to chew, but my wife at the time refused to kiss me and thought having a spit cup while at the bar drinking beer was gross. Eventually I had to quit or quit my wife. In the end I ended up quitting chewing and then later quitting my wife.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Ugh ... I agree with her.  I work with a serious hayseed hick, who will just drain a mouthful of chew spit into a mug, while maintaining eye contact and in conversation.  And his breath smells like a trash compactor because of it, which isn't good because he tends to lean into your face when he talks to you.  This is in a professional office setting too.  He's totally xenophobic (shocker), and I once overheard him say middle easterners have bad breath.  Lol.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

And you didn't even have to kiss him! LOL!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I'd sooner eat a plate of maggot covered snails.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

How about chick fil a.....?  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Tomato, tomahto 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I really don't like Chick-fil-a. I know some people swear by them, but to me they are just flavorless.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I started chewing in the military ( no smoking in the weapons storage area), found out it worked well while hunting waterfowl and deer back east, eventually stopped except for hunting season over the years til now I don't chew at all,even stopped smoking cigarettes , now its a nightly pipe and its been that way since I got divorced a few years ago( funny how I dropped the stress of the marriage , and the desire to smoke cigarettes went with it).

LOL and yes I have had escargot both in new England, and in Europe , both in the field and in high end restaraunts, just make sure they boil the snot out of them and they are passable for a meal.

never had chick fil a so cant say one way or another there.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

@ Randy

"In the end I ended up quitting chewing and then later quitting my wife"

There has to be a lesson in that.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

If there was I didn't learn it. I got married again...and divorced again...and married again....expensive hobby. What was that Groucho Marx said? "Whenever I think about getting married I just find a woman that I can't stand and buy her a house. Saves a lot of time that way!"

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Wish I could see the ad!  It's not showing up to me, and I bet it's a good one!

I use WD all the time.  I used to put it on the distributor cap of my car, because Nellie died in the rain...

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I can't see the add either!!!!  

When I was in high school I used to work at the Montgomery Wards Automotive Center and I learned all about oil and tires and belts and spark plugs and....well you get the idea.  It was an interesting job.  I quit shortly after a car came barreling into the store and hit the counter where I was standing.  Knocked me down and left me a little shocked and dazed.  It was one of those situations where the driver pushed on the accelerator instead of the breaks.  Drove right through the gas pumps into the store.  I'm luck they didn't blow up.....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

HOly cow!!!  I'm glad you're still with us!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I reposted the ad above, Dowser, Pj.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Our messages crossed-- thank you, again, for reposting!  I didn't want to miss out on anything pleasant!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

My wife, whenever something squeaks in the house, like a door, ALWAYS asks me to get out the "DW-40"! I have tried and tried and tried and tried to get her to call it WD-40, but she just says "Whatever. You know what I meant." ARRRRGGGGUUUUHHHH!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

LOL!

My Grandpa was a railroad man, so we all lived with his thousands of oil cans everywhere.  I miss them, in fact.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

My Grandpa started as a railroad man when he first moved to the states from Canada, but became a truck dock worker soon after because Grandma wanted him home from work every night when the kids started coming. I got his watch from back then. I need to get it fixed, running and the crystal is cracked. First I need to find out what box it's in. I know I have it, but not sure where.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Grandpa's 50 year watch still works.  It's a Timex.  It's taken a licking and keeps on ticking...  Of course, you have to wind it, but still!

YAY for railroad men.  Grandpa worked the 2 pm to 10 pm shift for 50 years.  Grandma had a nice social life-- bridge clubs, canasta clubs, etc.  She promised him a hot meal every night, and she kept her promise.  I remember going with her with the "Supper Basket" at night, so that Grandpa would have his hot meal and a piece of pie...  He adored her and she adored him.  Truly a match made in heaven!  (I mean nothing awful there, Randy-- it's just a figure of speech...)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Grandpa worked as a brakeman on the passenger run from Grand Rapids Michigan to Chicago and back run, but only for a couple of years. So he was gone for 24 hrs or more (depending on the weather) at a time. Then my Aunt Marilyn and my dad were born and Grandma put her foot down. He was about 6'4" and very strong and she wasn't quite 5' tall, but when she decided something, that was it! She was one tough little Canuck in her day. After all 4 of the kids were out of the house and going to school she even went to work for Bell Telephone as an Operator for 20 years. Grandpa didn't like his wife working, but that sure didn't change things.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL!  Grandpa was 5'11", and Grandma as 4'10"...  She ruled the roost, too.  They were both very special people!  

Grandpa was a telegrapher.  He operated the telegraph for 50 years...