╌>

Bye-bye Meals on Wheels, here’s a picture of Melania Trump eating diamonds for dinner

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pj  •  7 years ago  •  28 comments

Bye-bye Meals on Wheels, here’s a picture of Melania Trump eating diamonds for dinner

In  News  by  Drew Salisbury   /   March 16, 2017

One of the most talked about cuts in President Trump’s cruel and inhumane  budget proposal  announced Thursday is the  eradication of block grants  many states use to fund Meals on Wheels, which provides meals to 2.4 million senior citizens and 500,000 veterans.

The White House argued it was the “ compassionate ” thing to do for taxpayers because the program isn’t “showing results,” even though  studies have shown  programs like Meals on Wheels keep Medicaid costs down, decrease hospital visits, and keep seniors out of long-term care facilities, which is something considering one study published in the  National Institute of Health  found “the average cost of a one-month nursing home stay is equivalent to providing home-delivered meals five days a week for approximately seven years.”

It’s unclear exactly how much Trump’s budget will cut from Meals on Wheels, as each city that receives money from the Community Development Block Grants that fund it allocate the dollars differently.  A CNN report  showed the city of San Jose, California, for example, used $100,650 of the $2.5 million it received last year on Meals on Wheels. In comparison, it costs taxpayers  $3 million for every weekend  President Trump stays at his Mar-A-Lago Florida mansion. This coming weekend will be his  fifth  since the inauguration. Furthermore,  according to Snopes , if Melania and Barron Trump decide to stay in New York City for the duration of the presidency, it will cost taxpayers between $46 million and $53 million annually. I’m willing to wager $53 million would cover a lot of Meals on Wheels’ budget.

At any rate, we get much more out of the program than we put in. Community Development Block Grants cost a total of $3 billion in 2017. Meals on Wheels estimates it saves the country  $34 billion every year  in healthcare costs. But in reality, we shouldn’t need any economic argument to realize the necessity of programs like Meals on Wheels. Keeping our country’s seniors, veterans, disabled, and impoverished fed is simply a moral and ethical imperative. The first lady would do well to remember that the next time she sits down to enjoy a nice bowl of diamonds.

melania eating diamonds.jpg

Leigh Topp   @ToppTeach

Maybe  @MELANIATRUMP  can share her diamond pasta with the 2.4 million seniors losing Meals on Wheels.

7:04 PM - 16 Mar 2017

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/322626/bye-bye-meals-on-wheels-heres-a-picture-of-melania-trump-eating-diamonds-for-dinner/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    7 years ago

if Melania and Barron Trump decide to stay in New York City for the duration of the presidency, it will cost taxpayers between $46 million and $53 million annually. I’m willing to wager $53 million would cover a lot of Meals on Wheels’ budget.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

How much would we save if Trump stopped going to Florida every five minutes to squeeze in a few rounds of golf before making his next stupid tweet?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Each trip to Mar A Lago costs the tax payers appox. $3 million dollars. Add that to the Trump Tower bill and Meals on Wheels would be funded for the next 50 years.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Marie Antoinette Trump …

"Let them eat cake."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

It is possible to choke on diamonds if you eat them, isn't it?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Yes.  Among other things...  I don't believe it is recommended!  

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Melania new theme song.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

This one might be more appropriate.  Ben Harper's Diamonds on the Inside

And here's a Ben Harper song that describes her husband.  Steal my Kisses

I should probably to apologize to Ben Harper now.  He is an amazing musician, and I'm sure he'd be mortified to have his work associated with the Trumps.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

What's the word I'm searching for???

O

Ob

Obli

Oblivious

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I like the word, "Complicit"-- it, too, seems fitting...  Now that Ivanka has her own West Wing office, she is fair game.  I have no personal beef with Ivanka, but now she is in a position to DO something-- and I hope she does more than deliver drivel...

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

It is really sad that the only thing you could grab on to in the budget cuts was "meals on wheels" and that's because it was a get to your heart issue.  Ecumenical Ministries, local churches, etc. handle the food for seniors who are homebound.  They will not starve!!!!!!

Liberals really do give me a pain in my ass,,,,,,literally.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

If you lose your health insurance you can get to retain your hemmerhoids; what gives me a bigger pain in the ass are people who have a problem with people who have a heart, people  whi think it ultimately makes a better country to care for humans with real needs.

You ironically cite the work of religious institutions while positing a most un-Christ-like  view.

That's hypocritical.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

If you lose your health insurance you can get to retain your hemmerhoids; what gives me a bigger pain in the ass are people who have a problem with people who have a heart, people  whi think it ultimately makes a better country to care for humans with real needs.

You ironically cite the work of religious institutions while positing a most un-Christ-like  view.

That's hypocritical.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

It is really sad that the only thing you could grab on to in the budget cuts was "meals on wheels" and that's because it was a get to your heart issue.  Ecumenical Ministries, local churches, etc. handle the food for seniors who are homebound.  They will not starve!!!!!!

Liberals really do give me a pain in my ass,,,,,,literally.