╌>

Pew Survey Asks If Bad Actors And Trolls Online Will Get Worse Or Better Over The Next Decade. 80% Say Things Will Stay The Same Or Get Worse.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Pew Survey Asks If Bad Actors And Trolls Online Will Get Worse Or Better Over The Next Decade. 80% Say Things Will Stay The Same Or Get Worse.

https://www.fosi.org/good-digital-parenting/trust-trolls-and-online-safety/

...From fake news to hacking to online trolls, the Internet has never seemed so concerning.  

That, at least, is one takeaway from the latest Pew Research Center study  that surveyed over 1,500 tech and academic experts about the state of the Net and their view of its future.

Pew and Elon University asked:

In the next decade, will public discourse online become more or less shaped by bad actors, harassment, trolls, and an overall tone of griping, distrust, and disgust?

Remarkably, 81% responded that they expected things to remain the same (42%) or get worse (39%) while less than 1 in 5 thought that things would improve.  

No less a figure than the “father of the Internet” and a Google VP, Vint Cerf responded:  “The combination of bias-reinforcing enclaves and global access to bad actions seems like a toxic mix. It is not clear whether there is a way to counter-balance their socially harmful effects.”

These enclaves or “bubbles” as we’ve come to know them, played a big part in the recent US election – effectively separating users from posts or opinions that they did not share.  

Paula Hooper Mayhew, a professor of humanities at Fairleigh Dickinson University, stated,  “My fear is that because of the virtually unlimited opportunities for negative use of social media globally we will experience a rising worldwide demand for restrictive regulation. This response may work against support of free speech in the U.S.”

This is a fear shared by a number of the commentators – that many of the self-regulatory efforts to control bad actors have failed and will lead to more censorious legislation....

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

It really depends on how much people on forums such as this one care about trolls and bad actors , and make it known. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

My opinion is that it will only get worse for multiple reasons but primarily because it's easy to be a bad actor when there is no recourse for said actions and it's too easy to reinvent yourself.  I'm not so sure being able to conceal our true identities is helpful.  It allows anonymity to protect the bad actors.  I think it also allows us to treat others far more callous than we would if we communicated in person or we knew who the other person was rather than who they claim to be.

Also, when our leader is a complete fucking asshole pig woman hating bigot and fucking liar it makes being a troll or bad actor okay.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I think Trump getting into politics has thrown gasoline on the 'bad actor' fire. Yes. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Yes, Trump has given permission through his own actions to be vile and hideous and disgusting.

I personally don't understand the appeal in trolling but I guess it says a lot about the individual.  It will be interesting to see the internet begin to transform to protect and combat trolling and fake news.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

A lot of trolls have an innate tendency toward anarchy. Trolling is a very easy way to feel involved in creating societal anarchy. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Trolling is a very easy way to feel involved in creating societal anarchy. 

So is supporting Trump by the way. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Well said.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Also, when our leader is a complete fucking asshole pig woman hating bigot and fucking liar it makes being a troll or bad actor okay.

Thanks for the demonstration of being a troll !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

If you take away the adjectives she said 

... our leader is a woman hating bigot and liar 

Simple truth Petey. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Any conclusions you come to are bound to be simple !

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

Classy rhetoric from the left.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

I'm not sure these nasty trolls could get any worse than they already are. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Personally, I believe that one can share one's opinions and views without being nasty about it.  But there seems to be no "market" for that kind of expression.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

You are "old fashioned" Dowser. Pre-internet old fashioned , maybe. Laugh

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

It probably doesn't hep me that I've been spending a lot of time lately, reading and transcribing old letter from the 1880s...  winking

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I agree Lady Dowser.  I am guilty of being nasty.  I just became too tired of trying to reason with some members and to be honest being called horrible names didn't help my disposition.  Angry

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I understand!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: The3re is a market. Its a small mom and pop store.

It exists.

It is underutilized.

I do not know the answer to this problem.

I do know that when folks like you and me write articles, we stay positive, encourage free discussion in the context of civil discourse, and mutual respect.

Our good friend PJ makes a valid point about lack of recourse.

The quickest way to arrive at a moral decline is lack of accountability.

It would help what we are doing if we could delete for cause ourselves those folks who come to make problems.

The Red Box Rules and My Four B's in my columns are clear enough.

I still see violations of them by basically the same individuals, albeit under different names from time to time.

Original authors cannot control discussions objectively applying the same clearly stated rules fairly and consistently. We need this in order to insure contributors will not have to deal with keyboard cowardice and ugliness for their own sake.

All this does in discourage higher level discussions of a more enlightening and unifying manner.

All that said, ending on a positive note Happy Easter to you and yours.

E.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Thanks, Enoch!  Happy Passover to you and yours, too!!!

I see no end in sight, unfortunately.