╌>

Woman has Triplets by 'Superfoetation'

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

Woman has Triplets by 'Superfoetation'

What is superfoetation?

triplets.jpg

A British woman's revealed she fell pregnant with twins, then conceived while carrying them and gave birth to triplets.

It's called superfoetation - when someone conceives then conceives again between two weeks and a month later.

It's extremely rare in humans. This is only the sixth time it's happened in 100 years.

Fertility expert Professor Simon Fishel says: "It ought not to happen, but it does."

"The first case was reported in 1865 and there have been odd ones every now and again over the decade."

Most of us assume that once a woman becomes pregnant then that's it, but not according to the man who delivered the first IVF baby in 1978.

"Evolution is designed, especially in women, that they don't release another egg," he says.

"The first case was reported in 1865 and there have been odd ones every now and again over the decade."

Most of us assume that once a woman becomes pregnant then that's it, but not according to the man who delivered the first IVF baby in 1978.

"Evolution is designed, especially in women, that they don't release another egg," he says.

"If they ever did then it shouldn't be fertilised because the sperm shouldn't be able to get through.

Baby dummies

"Even if that happens the lining of the womb would be unable to accept another embryo as changes have taken place while the foetus is growing in there."

It is remarkable for superfoetation to occur, but there's not always a happy ending.

"There have been cases where the other foetus has died in the womb as one could stop growing and have to be delivered early," says the professor. There was a case in Rome some time ago where they estimated it was about three to four months difference.

One of the questions raised is how the foetuses will cope in the womb and whether they will end up competing at feeding time.

"It depends on the quality of the placenta, that is the most important thing for nutrition and development of the growing baby," Prof Fishel adds.

"If the placenta develops normally then it's fine but if the placenta fuses then that can cause problem. In the superfoetation situation we've seen here, it's worked fine."

It's claimed it's more prevalent in animals such as rodents, rabbits, horses and sheep.

Although rare in humans these miracle births do happen and sometimes can be even more extreme.

"There was a case in Rome some time ago where they estimated it was about three to four months difference," says Prof Fishel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39692070/what-is-superfoetation

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

This could be a bit awkward if the woman's boyfriend or husband is told about it and then remembers he was out of town during the time of the second conception.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Good one Randy!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Really interesting article. I have never heard of this before... talk about a triple surprise! 

But I have a funny feeling that it happens a bit more than we realize. Multiple births tend to come early, and often vary in size, so it would be hard to tell if a baby was lagging 2 or 4 weeks behind it's wombmates. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I have heard that this is possible in some types of pack animals such as wolves, which is why only the dominate male and female are allowed to breed in the pack, ensuring that only they pass on their genes. I admit I have never heard of it in humans.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

It's news to me as well - we're never to old to learn, are we? (Except I'll be damned if I try to learn to use a touchpad smartphone).

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I hate those! They are always dialing someone somewhere in your pocket! Mine has a blueberry style with buttons that slides into the phone body so it can't dial anyone I don't ant to dial. My wife has a touch-pad one, but never takes it with her anywhere because it keeps calling people on her friends list without telling her.