╌>

Liberals 'Don’t Understand What’s Happening in the Country'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  17 comments

Liberals 'Don’t Understand What’s Happening in the Country'
In the bonfire of the vanities that is the aftermath of Hillary Clinton’s campaign of 2016 one quote from Shattered, the book of the week, stands supreme.

[C]lueless Hillary Clinton... to a close friend, “I don’t understand what’s happening in the country.”

People like Hillary Clinton won’t understand what is happening to the country until they carve out the cataracts in their eyes that prevent them from seeing what their politics hath wrought. And it is pretty obvious that the same applies to the rest of elite liberaldom.

The political movement that built the welfare state and the administrative state and the liberal cultural hegemony is going on the rocks, and liberals can’t believe it.

The political movement that gave us Reagan and won the Cold War is also on the rocks. But we conservatives are not that shocked that good old gentlemanly libertarian conservatism is done. We conservatives went through our five stages of grief in the year between the Descent of Trump and the nomination of Trump, and now face the world without illusion.

Unlike liberals, still hysterically sobbing in their liberal safe space.

To see what is going on it helps to look at another country that may be in the middle of its own Brexit/Trump phenomenon, i.e., France.

Christopher Caldwell in City Journal has a long piece about “The French, Coming Apart” in which he writes that Charles Murray’s book Coming Apart applies not just to the US but to the French. Only things are worse in France.

Caldwell is looking at France through the work of the French writer Christophe Guilluy. Guilluy argues that the old working class in France is never coming back, because even if it could reeducate and retrain it could never afford to live in the “ideopolises” where the new economy jobs are. The old cheap housing stock is now completely occupied by non-white immigrants and the new elite of TV anchors and patent attorneys where the white working class need not apply. So the guys that said they loooved the working class have effectively driven them into the economic wilderness.

Just as in the U.S., the French new class of liberal “symbolic analysts” that once taught the working class to hate their bosses has driven the working class to despair. And the cataracts in their eyes prevent them from seeing the chaos they have wrought.

But who will raise the alarm? Who will tell the ruling class to put its failed ideas and conceits where the sun don’t shine?

The French ruling class has legislated speech codes, so that speaking and writing against the ruling class and its cultural Marxist conceits could get you in trouble. In France they have enacted a what Guilluy calls the “criminalization of criticism of the dominant model.”

France’s antiracist Pleven law, which can punish speech, passed in 1972. In 1990, the Gayssot law criminalized denial or “minimization” of the Holocaust and repealed parts of France’s Law of July 29, 1881, on Freedom of the Press… Suits against novelists, philosophers, and historians have proliferated.

That is how you get a Hillary who doesn’t know what’s happening to the country. It is the consequence of a ruling class that makes it illegal for the rubes to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Today, in America at least for now, an Ann Coulter can tell University of California, Berkeley, that she is coming to speak there irregardless, because “I have constitutional rights,” and a Milo Yiannopoulos can announce that he is coming to Berkeley for his own “Free Speech Week” that might turn into Free Speech Month if the authorities don’t cooperate. For now.

After reading Caldwell I think I understand more than before why our liberals friends have become utterly unmoored since Nov. 8, 2016. Nothing in their comfortable urban liberal bubble prepared them for Brexit and Trump and Le Pen. Of course not. Because liberals have forbidden anyone to disagree with them.

We conservatives are lucky: we have never been able to isolate ourselves in our special cultural bubble, so we know that the world can change against us in an instant.

But liberals from Hillary Clinton on down just “don’t understand what’s happening in the country.”

I am trying to think up a catch phrase to symbolize how the left first seduced, then used, abused, and finally abandoned the working class, averting its eyes from the wounded, mumbling “I just don’t understand.” I have in mind something like “The Great Betrayal,” only sharper.

We need some sort of meme like this, because the demolition of the white working class is happening all over the western world, and attention must be paid.

And the way back starts with what the Chinese call the Rectification of Names. In Anglo-Saxon, this is termed “calling a spade a spade.”

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/04/liberals_dont_understand_whats_happening_in_the_country.html#ixzz4fGm1QOaU
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Progressive liberals will never understand the extent of the damage that they have done to America.  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Progressive liberals will never understand the extent of the damage that they have done to America.

Then I guess it's possible that you haven't been doing your job very well.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Can't say that the article really states what liberals have done to America. The author seems to be very focused on the splinters in the liberal eye while ignoring the log in his own.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Why did you use the past tense?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

America needs balance and we don't have that, haven't had that for a long time.  This has allowed extremist agendas to take hold.  Erasing history because someone or some group is offended.  Life is for grown-ups and if the simple tings offend you and you spend time crying about how you are offended, then maybe it's time to grow up and face adult problems.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

We even see it here. The other day an article was closed because a moderator didn't like the tone of the comments. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Dean,

Let me correct you. The article was closed due to nasty comments from an unattended article, which is a violation of the CoC. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

I posted late night and attended a family matter and lunch.  I then upon returning began going through all my seeds.  By the time I got to that one when I tried to comment on it it was locked up due to the behavior of others.  Of course all of the violators got off without so much as a warning and I was blamed for their behavior.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

You shouldn't post seeds that you can't attend to XX. If you can't attend to them, then close them when you are away (and I don't mean for an hour or two), and reopen them when you are back. That is clearly spelled out in our CoC. Since my reminder, your fellow Californian, Randy, has been doing that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Okay then, how do I close an article?  In my case, because I'm going to sleep when everyone else is just getting active, I am not in a very good position to monitor the article, and all hell can break loose on it while I'm asleep.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

And then, when I re-open an article I close, everyone else has gone to sleep, and eventually my article just gets wiped off without any commentary at all.  Granted that doesn't happen all the time but the probability is there.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

In my opinion, locking the article is a disaster in my case. Last night I tried to comment on Randy's article on Race and Racism, but he had locked it. So this morning (and it is 9:30 a.m. here) I tried again and it's STILL locked. What the hell good is that?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

If we all lock our articles when we go to bed  at night, there would some hours the place would be literally locked down.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

I'm an unusual case on NT. Surely more than 99% of the members are in a similar time zone. I'm sorry now that I vented my frustration.  I do have to assume that the lock-down concept is for the benefit of the vast majority.

As well, I doubt that many members would take advantage of it, and it really is only to maintain control of more controversial topics.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, The issue is the behavior we exhibit on seeds we disagree with.  Me telling those particular members to shape up would have been like throwing gasoline on the fire they started.  My flagging their coc violating conduct is no more important than anyone else doing it.  And it was done repeatedly by my friends here.  As usual though our liberals can do no wrong here.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I have been dealt the ultimate insult.  I was called a fellow Californian.  I repudiate that lowdown no good entity. I'm a resident of the great state of Jefferson, currently occupied.