╌>

America Still Exists – Where People Salute the Flag and Respect Their God

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  29 comments

America Still Exists – Where People Salute the Flag and Respect Their God
Last weekend I saw an America you'll seldom read about in newspapers or see on television, an America that gets up and goes to work every morning, disciplines their children, salutes the flag and respects their God.

It was Talladega, Alabama, the Saturday night before the big Sunday afternoon GEICO 500 NASCAR race, a gathering of the faithful, who had saved up their hard-earned money and come to watch their favorite drivers roar down the backstretch at nearly 200 miles an hour.

Many of them drove their campers and spent the weekend in the camp ground, where acres and acres of Goosenecks and Winnebagos sit row after row, probably making up one of the biggest towns in Alabama for race weekend, and certainly one of the friendliest.

They fly the banners of their favorite football teams and sport the numbers of their favorite NASCAR drivers. They hang colored lights and build campfires, pull the tab on a few cold ones and celebrate hard.

These people and the drivers all stand and hold their hands over their hearts when the National Anthem is sung, and they bow their heads and stand in respectful silence when the prayer, that is part of every NASCAR race, is said.

I'm 80 years old, and the chances of me ever going to war are infinitesimal, but if I ever had to, these are the people I would want to have with me. They're the kind of folks who would have your back, no matter what it cost them, and these codes of honor don't even have to be discussed. You can just take it for granted.

They have a great respect for the law, and in spite of the tripe that assaults them in the media every day, they still dream the American dream, still believe that we live in the greatest nation on planet earth and still believe it’s worth defending, which many of them have already done.

There were lots of veterans in this crowd, men and women who have laid it on the line and would do it again in a minute.

These people are the bedrock strength of America, the solid foundation on which our past present and future rests, because without them, all the political, academic, commercial ventures and law and order that constitutes American civilization would come tumbling down.

These are the Americans who finally stand up and say, "That’s enough; it goes no further. Here we stand. You've got to come through us, and we ain’t moving an inch.”

These people are not disillusioned or disheartened, because they still have a lot left to believe in: their God, their country and each other. They don’t whine about politically incorrect crap. They don’t voice their resistance by burning cars and breaking windows, and if they ever do get pushed to the point of violence, everybody better watch out, because when it comes to protecting their families and property, you'd best face a bunch of sore toothed grizzly bears.

These are the kind of people who drove the prairie schooners west, who marched barefoot through the winter snow with George Washington at Valley Forge, who hit the beach at Normandy on D-Day.

The people who drive the trucks, plow the fields, man the assembly lines, build the highways and pump the oil out of the ground.

They’re the salt of the earth.

And they're busy raising another generation of patriotic Americans.

And oh yeah, another generation of loyal NASCAR fans. http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/charlie-daniels/charlie-daniels-america-still-exists-where-people-salute-flag-and-respect

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Our exceptional nation is one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. Our America is worthy of our devout patriotism.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I wonder how many rubes asked their God  to save themselves or someone they loved, only to have their requests ignored.  It should come as no surprise to anyone that those who pray generate exactly the same success rates as those who don't.  Wise up people.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Typical liberal intolerance. If people want to pray they are free to do so despite your scorn.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Intolerant?  Lol.  What would you call someone who thinks they can bend the dice of chance towards their will.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Certainly not intolerant. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I lament only the fact that that is the America that WAS.  But then, who am I to contribute my 2 cents worth?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Thus why we are trying to MAGA.   

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    7 years ago

LOL! I presume that when he said seldom see in the news or on television he meant the front page. You will see NASCAR on Fox, FS1 and NBCSN 36 weeks out of 52. You will see it in the sports page at least twice a week during that same 36 weeks. I have the schedule taped on the door, along with all the other race types I like to watch.

I've worked for a ranch that covered 100 sections and had over 2000 mother cows, try covering that on horse back sometime. I helped my granddad farm a section.

I hate Bud, but I do drink IPAs.

I can redneck as well as anyone, I just choose not to anymore.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Religionists, faux patriots, bigots and scape-goaters have given us Donald Trump …

No truly God-loving, God-fearing and/or thinking Patriotic American would vote for a braggadocio "Pussy-Grabber" …

Gloat now Trump-apologists and remember your glee over the lamentation and disappointment of others … recall your mockery and cries of "fake news" every time a fact bit you in your metaphorical asses … and how one or two of you looked down your noses when I posited that "Obstruction of Justice" charges were not far off.

Gloat now … get it out of your system … it's just a matter of time before chicken-shit, Trump-shackled members of Congress realize, that they have very few choices … 

… all of them bad!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

"No truly God-loving, God-fearing and/or thinking Patriotic American would vote for a braggadocio "Pussy-Grabber" …"

Typical partisan intolerance. If one has a different view, they must be unpatriotic. Well done, traveller. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Typical partisan intolerance. If one has a different view, they must be unpatriotic. Well done, traveller. 

Yeah, well your pussy-grabber, panderer to religionists, xenophobes, bigots and low-information voters …

… is likely going down … and I would not be surprised if Pence and some others go down with him.

Your comment is a perfect example of projection … and now, I will go back to ignoring you.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

When did this article that talks about patriots suddenly become a President Trump invective?  Really?  I thought you were better than that Mac.  I was wrong.  I understand that you can't help yourself, though it is pretty embarrassing.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

When did this article that talks about patriots suddenly become a President Trump invective?  Really?  I thought you were better than that Mac.  I was wrong.  I understand that you can't help yourself, though it is pretty embarrassing.

When one of the Radical Right makes distinctions either by implication, or, overtly, between who are, in his opinion, "real Americans," and, all those who don't, in this case  "salute the flag and respect their God," we're in Trump-land … acknowledge it or not.

The "Make America Great Again" mantra is nothing more than a buzz-word signal to the angry, low-information voter who longs for the good-old-days when white men called the shots.

Please don't do the damn-with-feint praise … "I though you were better than that" thing;if you can refute what I write with specifics … do it … 

What's embarrassing is not my standing up to the bullshit-wrapped-in-the-"God-and-Country,"-holier-than-thou-butt-covering-for-the-alternative-fact-crowd … IT'S TRYING TO MAKE IT DEFENSIBLE!

Just look at the one-liners in this thread from the myopic-right … there's your "can't help yourself, though it is pretty embarrassing".

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

"I thought you were better than that Mac."

Why? He thinks it's unpatriotic to support the president. He thinks it's wise to demonize people who have different opinions.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Why? He thinks it's unpatriotic to support the president. He thinks it's wise to demonize people who have different opinions.

Don't put words in my mouth or think your mind is expansive enough to read mine.

If a concept is bastardized in such a way that it demonizes people of different mindsets … THEN IT'S THE ONES WHO PEDDLE SUCH CRAP THAT DO THE DEMONIZING!

The idiom, "Wrapping one's self in the flag" is defined as …

"showing  great   loyalty  and  support  for  your   country  in a way that does not  ask   questions "

And …

Bible thumper  (also " Bible  basher"; mainly US) Someone perceived as aggressively imposing their Christian beliefs upon others. The term derives from preachers thumping their hands down on the  Bible , or thumping the  Bible  itself, to emphasize a point during a sermon. ... Usually used to mean a Christian fundamentalist.

The premise of this thread represents a tactic used by pandering politicians forever.

Patriotism is usually the refuge of the scoundrel. He is the man who talks the loudest.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.

We have a bastard Patriotism, a sarcasm, a burlesque; but we have no such thing as a public conscience. Politically we are just a joke.

____ Mark Twain

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

We expect all progressive leftists to be supporting America and hoping for her success and well being.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Count me out X.  The America that was......no longer is.  We have now entered the vulgar scumbag lying era of Trump's "grab em by the pussy" as his method of making "his" America great again.

You are delusional if you think America will ever be what it was.  Not under this President.  Not with these Republicans.  This is human capitalism at it's worst.  They are trading away the virtue of America for their own gain.  Anyone who doesn't see what's going on is either blind or on board with destroying America.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I disagree they are working to protect us from the leeching liberals that want to steal what we earn. They are looking out for the individuals and working to give them economic opportunity and individual responsibly for their actions. They are breaking up the collective Bernie mindset that wants to share the wealth but not the work. They believe in the freedom to reap what you sow. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Sadly, based on the hysterical left wingers here, I think they want America to fail. Sounds like treason to me.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

And, as I said weeks ago, the leaks will become a deluge.

Tonight ... serious leaks about Flynn, McCarthy ... If one gets information from sources other than Fox News, one already knows about these latest leaks.

Platitudes, dismissive comments ... Ain't gonna save nothin' ... 

Pack in your gloats.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Also, a week or so ago, I got lambasted for stating that Pence knew about Flynn's vulnerability weeks before Flynn was fired for allegedly lying to Pence about that very vulnerability.

That bullshit story is now confirmed as just that ... bullshit.

The White House knew about Flynn being investigated well before Trump made him Head of National Security ... but Trump hired him nevertheless!

Why? 

Those who have been indoctrinated by the Trump Ministry of Prooaganda, will, at some point, need to rehab in order to return to the world of fact and reason. It isn't fake news because it doesn't agree with some bumper sticker or baseball cap that speaks to willing dupes about making America great again.

The shit storm is here.

How do you like me now?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Conspiracy theories can be fun if you don't obsess over tham and if you remember that there is no evidence backing them up. Please continue your outrage theater. We will enjoy looking back at these posts when Trump leaves office in 8 years.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Conspiracy theories can be fun if you don't obsess over tham and if you remember that there is no evidence backing them up. Please continue your outrage theater. We will enjoy looking back at these posts when Trump leaves office in 8 years.

If you stop getting your "information" from Fox News, you'll know what TF is actually happening.

And, if what has been revealed in the last 24 hours is true and verified, the over-under number for the Trump Presidency will be more like 8 MONTHS!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

"they fly their banners"

Image result for nascar and confederate flags

A fan holds a Confederate flag during practice for the NASCAR XFINITY Series Subway Firecracker 250