╌>

Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  57 comments

Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Botsford170420Trump14331.JPG

Jared Kushner, the White House adviser, listens as President Trump and Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni participate in a joint news conference in the White House, April 20. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)

May 26 at 7:01 PM

Jared Kushner and Russia’s ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump’s transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergei Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, then President-elect Trump’s son-in-law and confidant, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

The meeting also was attended by Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser.

The White House disclosed the fact of the meeting only in March, playing down its significance. But people familiar with the matter say the FBI now considers the encounter, as well as another meeting Kushner had with a Russian banker, to be of investigative interest.

Kislyak reportedly was taken aback by the suggestion of allowing an American to use Russian communications gear at its embassy or consulate — a proposal that would have carried security risks for Moscow as well as the Trump team.

Neither the meeting nor the communications of Americans involved were under U.S. surveillance, officials said.

The White House declined to comment. Robert Kelner, a lawyer for Flynn, declined to comment. The Russian embassy did not respond to requests for comment.

Russia at times feeds false information into communication streams it suspects are monitored as a way of sowing misinformation and confusion among U.S. analysts. But officials said that it’s unclear what Kislyak would have had to gain by falsely characterizing his contacts with Kushner to Moscow, particularly at a time when the Kremlin still saw the prospect of dramatically improved relations with Trump.

Kushner’s apparent interest in establishing a secret channel with Moscow, rather than rely on U.S. government systems, has added to the intrigue surrounding the Trump administration’s relationship with Russia.

To some officials, it also reflects a staggering naivete.

The FBI closely monitors the communications of Russian officials in the United States, and maintains near-constant surveillance of its diplomatic facilities. The National Security Agency monitors the communications of Russian officials overseas.

Current and former U.S. intelligence officials said that though Russian diplomats have secure means of communicating with Moscow, Kushner’s apparent request for access to such channels was extraordinary.

“How would he trust that the Russians wouldn’t leak it on their side?” said one former senior intelligence official. The FBI would know that a Trump transition official was going in and out of the embassy, which would cause “a great deal” of concern, he added. The entire idea, he said, “seems extremely naïve or absolutely crazy.”

The discussion of a secret channel adds to a broader pattern of efforts by Trump’s closest advisors to obscure their contacts with Russian counterparts. Trump’s first national security adviser, Flynn, was forced to resign after a series of false statements about his conversations with Kislyak. Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from matters related to the Russia investigation after it was revealed that he had failed to disclose his own meetings with Kislyak when asked during congressional testimony about any contact with Russians.

Kushner’s interactions with Russians — including Kislyak and an executive for a Russian bank under U.S. sanctions — were not acknowledged by the White House until they were exposed in media reports.

It is common for senior advisers of a newly elected president to be in contact with foreign leaders and officials. But new administrations are generally cautious in their handling of interactions with Moscow, which U.S. intelligence agencies have accused of waging an unprecedented campaign to interfere in last year’s presidential race and help elect Trump.

Obama administration officials say members of the Trump transition team never approached them about arranging a secure communications channel with their Russian contacts, possibly because of concerns about leaks.

The State Department, the White House National Security Council and U.S. intelligence agencies all have the ability to set up secure communications channels with foreign leaders, though doing so for a transition team would be unusual.

Trump’s advisers were similarly secretive about meetings with leaders from the United Arab Emirates. The Obama White House only learned that the crown prince of Abu Dhabi was flying to New York in December to see Kushner, Flynn and Steven Bannon, another top Trump adviser, because U.S. border agents in the UAE spotted the Emirate leader’s name on a flight manifest

Russia would also have had reasons of its own to reject such an overture from Kushner. Doing so would require Moscow to expose its most sophisticated communications capabilities — which are likely housed in highly secure locations at diplomatic compounds — to an American.

The Post was first alerted in mid-December to the meeting by an anonymous letter, which said, among other things, that Kushner had talked to Kislyak about setting up the communications channel. This week, officials, who reviewed the letter and spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence, said the portion about the secret channel was consistent with their understanding of events.

For instance, according to those officials and the letter, Kushner conveyed to the Russians that he was aware it would be politically sensitive to meet publicly, but it was necessary for the Trump team to be able to continue their communication with Russian government officials.

In addition to their discussion about setting up the communications channel, Kushner, Flynn and Kislyak also talked about arranging a meeting between a representative of Trump and a “Russian contact” in a third country whose name was not identified, according to the anonymous letter.

The Post reported in April that Erik Prince, the former founder of Blackwater private security firm and an informal adviser to the Trump transition team, met on Jan. 11 — nine days before Trump’s inauguration — in the Seychelles islands in the Indian Ocean with a representative of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/russian-ambassador-told-moscow-that-kushner-wanted-secret-communications-channel-with-kremlin/2017/05/26/520a14b4-422d-11e7-9869-bac8b446820a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_kushner-705pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.ee30d5a178f4

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Current and former U.S. intelligence officials said that though Russian diplomats have secure means of communicating with Moscow, Kushner’s apparent request for access to such channels was extraordinary.

“How would he trust that the Russians wouldn’t leak it on their side?” said one former senior intelligence official. The FBI would know that a Trump transition official was going in and out of the embassy, which would cause “a great deal” of concern, he added. The entire idea, he said, “seems extremely naïve or absolutely crazy.”

I vote absolutely crazy.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I vote fake news ...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

I second that.

To the extent that propaganda is based on current news, it cannot permit time for thought or reflection. A man caught up in the news must remain on the surface of the event; he is carried along in the current, and can at no time take a respite to judge and appreciate; he can never stop to reflect. There is never any awareness-of himself, of his condition, of his society-for the man who lives by current events. Such a man never stops to investigate anyone point, any more than he will tie together a series of news events…Propaganda addresses itself to that man; like him, it can relate only to the most superficial aspect of a spectacular event, which alone can interest man and lead him to make a certain decision or adopt a certain attitude”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

what anti commie handbook did you pluck that out of?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Well John when you are unaware you are being brainwashed, you just don't get it.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Kislyak reportedly was taken aback by the suggestion of allowing an American to use Russian communications gear at its embassy or consulate — a proposal that would have carried security risks for Moscow as well as the Trump team.

I can't see how he should be able to keep his security clearance after this.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

You see, perfect example.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

It's good to know that you think any US presidential candidate should have unfettered and unmonitored access with the Kremlin.  I'm sure you wouldn't say a thing if it were Hillary Clinton instead of Donald Trump / Kushner, huh?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

If she were President they not only would have impeached her by now just for this they would be hammering the gallows together in the Rose Garden to hang her from. The double standard of how she would be treated would be massive.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Show me Hal, where he actually said this.  Provide some evidence.  You can't because there isn't.  This is the fake news you have succumbed to.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

As if you have been insistent on "proof" of anything Hillary Clinton.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

"The future is female." Meaning that males are passe . That's called gender discrimination ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I don't think anyone in America should communicate with me, because it might make them a suspect of espionage. Here I am (although a Canadian by birth) the son of a Russian and living in China now for more than a decade. Why aren't I being investigated?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I don't think that anyone in America, least of all the top advisor to a President-elect (and son-in-law of) should suggest to the Russian Ambassador, a known Russian Intelligence Agent, that it would be a good idea for them to go to the Russian Embassy and use Russian communications equipment to communicate with the Kremlin as a secret back-channel when the only value of doing so would be to avoid monitoring by American Intelligence Agencies. Even the Russians thought it was a bad idea. The FBI, on the other hand, really are interested in finding out why Jared thought this was a good idea. As well they should be.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

After the last two incidents of leaked intelligence information damaging Israel's and England's intelligence services, I wouldn't trust the usual American intelligence services either. As many holes as Swiss cheese.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

So you want to use Russia's Intelligence Community to communicate with the Kremlin? During the transition? Purposely avoiding American Intelligence? A President-elect is purposely going to trust Russia and Putin before America? Why not just move to Moscow and run for Mayor there if he doesn't want to be the American President and would prefer to be a Russian one? And BTW, the leaked information came long after this happened in December.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It's true that America has to be more careful. I'm sure that Israel has already withdrawn sharing the information from its Mossad-trained sharks that had spied on the Egyptians from the Red Sea, and that from its pigeons that spied on Hezbollah in Lebanon, so that those agents would not be exposed to the enemy.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Leftover Obama holes, oh I mean moles.  There are hundreds, maybe thousands of them.  They really got to work on placing them right after the election.  Those would be the first ones I would investigate. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

After the last two incidents of leaked intelligence information damaging Israel's and England's intelligence services, I wouldn't trust the usual American intelligence services either.

Buzz, he did this BEFORE those instances. Come up with another excuse why don't you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Is it required by the NT Terms of Service or CoC that I have to have an excuse to post something? I can post my wildest dreams or conjectures or bullshit I want and I don't give a damn about any confines in which you would like me to limit my comments.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

As long as you don't insult another member of NT you can post any speculation you want to on a public figure.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Did I insult anyone? Please point it out to me.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

No one said you did. Drop the feigned offense, please.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

It's scary how much top secret information is being leaked by anti trump zelaots. There is no regard for our national security.

They are putting party over country. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Exclusive: Trump son-in-law had undisclosed contacts with Russian envoy - sources

It's not just that he has had so many contacts with the Russians, it's that they are ones that he doesn't disclose and are ones that he would not forget, like the one above. Purposely not reporting these contacts that he didn't report is a felony punishable by 5 years in prison. If anyone other then Trumps son-in-law had tried to do what he did he would have his security clearance pulled and would be under investigation and facing serious prison time.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

And you believe this BS?  And even if it were true, what's the crime?  We can't depend on the USA intelligence to keep the information to themselves.  How does Reuters know all of this information?  STOP!!!!!  Start thinking for a change!!!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

If one is looking for smoke to indicate there may be a fire, this is being called the smokiest development so far.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

I mean, what did they do, hack the Russians to get this information?  I use to joke about sheep, but it's no joke any longer.  People are getting fed up with this BS and the Democrats are too naive to realize it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

These are leaks from inside the US government. People don't care for your boy Trump, or haven't you noticed?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

These are leaks from inside the US government.

Back in January Trump compared the CIA to Nazis. On that day I turned to my wife and told her that he just doomed himself unless he begged forgiveness. You never, ever, ever make the American Intelligence Community Agencies (and they all look out for each other) your enemies, unless your hands are impeccably clean, because they will dig out every time in your whole life that you so much as kicked a puppy and make it public. The same with the Civil Service Bureaucracy. They are loyal to America first and have seen bosses come and seen bosses go and are not impressed with some of them, yet they always remain. You can not win a fight against them.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Yes, I've notice that John.  And the media is impeaching Trump every day that goes by illegally of course by putting BS out there where there is no crime in the first place, but trying their best to find something anyway.  But admitting they have no evidence at the same time.  People are getting really numb to all this BS from the corrupt media, where almost all of them are Democrats and have been associated or worked with either Obama, Hillary or Bill or all three in and out of the White House.  You're losing big time.

The way it starts out.  The media tells everyone how great the Democrat candidate is and how well he is doing and to top it off how bad it is going to be for the Republican candidate when the Democrat beats him or her, but you know how many times that has happened? None.

And then they brag about how well the Democrat candidate did and ignore he or she lost anyway.

You obviously just don't realize most people are tired of the BS put out by the media, stopped believing anything they say, because you are caught up in the bubble they have created for you, but the general public has already caught on to what they are doing.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Six, Donald Trump has been the most unpopular first few months president in memory and his ratings have not gone up. That's the fact. You can talk about what the people are tired of all you want, but so far they are tired of Trump.

By backing this POS you are painting yourself into a corner.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

There you go, blind as a bat.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Looking at your replies in this thread, your point appears to be that the US intelligence agencies leak so therefore Kushner would be justified in wanting to make a back channel communication method with the Russians.

That really makes no sense unless you assume that there was some dealings with the Russians that the Trumps had planned that they didn't want anyone to know about.  Not a good idea, as we are now seeing.

Neither Trump or his mini me Jared Kushner belong in the White House. It is as simple as that.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

All the years of Fox News miseducating the already-miseducated-willing-dupes, have brought us to this Orwellian-America.

Those who genuflect to, perpetuate and live in a world of fake news, have been so indoctrinated as to call whatever news not fitting their propagandized "thinking," as "FAKE NEWS".

Anyone who has followed my article and comments regarding Micheal Flynn (roughly two-or-more months ago), may remember my stated opinion that leaks will turn to a deluge … and so, here we are as the rising tide of bad news begins to swirl around the necks of the Trumpian regime.

Apparently, someone(s) on the "inside," has come to realize that a corrupt, self-serving, mean-spirited, on-the-way-to-becoming a ruling kleptocracy … must, for the good and preservation of American Democracy … 

Fiat justitia ruat cælum  … a  Latin legal phrase , meaning " Let justice be done though the heavens fall.

Someone will succumb to the pressure of leaks and investigations and, to cover his ass … tell all!

Deny away those of you who have been willingly, or, unwittingly duped by Ailes, Hannity and O'Reilly.

It's almost over boys … the Trump Administration will go the way of "Tricky Dick" … 

And, if it turns out I am wrong, I WILL BE THE FIRST TO SAY SO.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Someone will succumb to the pressure of leaks and investigations and, to cover his ass … tell all!

Well we know one who is almost begging to turn, Michael Flynn. He's been shopping his story arund for immunity for several weeks now and I'm glad that neither the House nor the Senate Intelligence Committees took him up on it because he was supposedly to have been in the same room with Kushner and Kislyak when Jared tried to set this secret back channel up. Personally I hope Robert Mueller gets to him and squeezes him raw for all he is worth. Maybe he can't give as much on Trump as Kushner could, but he might be able to give the Special Counsel both Kushner and Trump both.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Apparently, someone(s) on the "inside," has come to realize that a corrupt, self-serving, mean-spirited, on-the-way-to-becoming a ruling kleptocracy … must, for the good and preservation of American Democracy … 

Fiat justitia ruat cælum  … a  Latin legal phrase , meaning " Let justice be done though the heavens fall. "

And American history will praise them, even if their names are never known, as true heroes.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

And it gets more interesting by the minute.

Russian Once Tied to Trump Aide Seeks Immunity to Cooperate With Congress

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

The court documents and public records show that Mr. Deripaska, whose companies have long had offices in New York, has expanded his American holdings over the past 10 years, buying high-priced Manhattan townhouses and a major stake in a Russian-language newspaper in New York.

Makes one wonder just who he bought the high priced townhouses from? Trump or Kushner? He can't be forced to testify, unless we can figure out a way to stop his business interests in the U.S. unless he does.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

This is all "he said...she said".  I have never been comfortable with Ivanka and Jared having an official role in  our Country's affairs.  It isn't appropriate!  It is one thing to ask for an opinion and another to have these two sitting on official discussions.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

This is the crux of the matter as it relates to Kushner/Trump. Did Kushner or someone else in the Trump camp , including Trump himself, promise to end sanctions on Russia and Russian banks if the Trump family received loans or other financial considerations from the Russians. Very serious issue. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

This is the crux of the matter as it relates to Kushner/Trump. Did Kushner or someone else in the Trump camp , including Trump himself, promise to end sanctions on Russia and Russian banks if the Trump family received loans or other financial considerations from the Russians. Very serious issue. 

I don't have a problem investigating this any more than I did investigating Hillary but what's the source of this "financial considerations" speculation? Trump could remove sanctions simply because they don't work and never will, if the goal is to get Russia to return Crimea. That was obvious to me from the start but Obama did it anyway. Should we expand the investigation to examine whether Obama imposed sanctions because he (or his friends) received loans and financial considerations from Ukraine? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Kushner communicated with the Russian ambassador multiple times during the campaign. What were they talking about? Since Trump and Kushner are money hungry sob's, there is a thought they could have been talking finances with the Russians. I guess we will find out. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

Kushner communicated with the Russian ambassador multiple times during the campaign. What were they talking about? Since Trump and Kushner are money hungry sob's, there is a thought they could have been talking finances with the Russians. I guess we will find out. 

Kushner and Ivanka are worth $700 million and Trump is worth $2-10 billion. Do you really think they need to go through this to turn a dime?

The Russian's interest is in lifting sanctions and keeping us out of their business; Ukraine's interest will be just the opposite. Both will talk to whoever will listen. Israel and other countries all line up to do the same thing: bend the ear of the president to get what they want. None of this is startling and it doesn't require a payoff. But ask away.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Of course. They are money hungry. 

Kushner spoke with the Russians during the campaign. Why? 

It's also comical that you insist on supposing that Trump has decent motives. He is a completely dishonest crook/conman who lent his name to pyramid schemes and fraud AFTER he had hundreds of millions of dollars of wealth. 

Don't go near him, he will only see a sucker coming. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

It's also comical that you insist on supposing that Trump has decent motives. He is a completely dishonest crook/conman who lent his name to pyramid schemes and fraud AFTER he had hundreds of millions of dollars of wealth. 

All I did was give him the benefit of the doubt for the sake of argument. You, on the other hand, choose to assume that he's guilty based solely on innuendo. An assumption of innocence until proven guilty is the hallmark of our judicial system yet you find that comical when it's extended to Trump. But then again, this is just another foolish trial in the court of public opinion for partisan political advantage. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

He is a lifelong conman , liar and crook. You chose not to notice any of those things because you hated Hillary Clinton so much. 

Plus he's psychologically unstable, which puts everyone in more danger than need be. 

Your mindset is "anyone but Hillary" , which has always been absurd. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

Your mindset is "anyone but Hillary" , which has always been absurd. 

I have never said "anyone but Hillary". What I said is that Hillary is a non-starter for me because she is a lying incompetent sack of shit. I have also said that Trump is also a non-starter for me because he is an ignoramus and a buffoon. I didn't vote for either of them and I will never vote for candidates like this. You, however, chose to vote for what you believed to be the least stinking pile of shit, which has always been absurd to me because, unlike you, I could never endorse a pile a shit to be president. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

And, yours is anyone, but a Republican.   Why?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Kushner communicated with the Russian ambassador multiple times during the campaign. What were they talking about?

The insanely high and quickly rising price of Borscht. Had to be.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

If you look at this from the other side, it's not much of an issue (so far). The heart of all of this appears to be the assumption that Trump may have colluded with the Russians to win the election. Trump says he didn't. Putin had reasons of his own to embarrass Hillary by exposing her attempt to rig the primary after she accused him of rigging his own elections. The media ignores that Putin's motivation could have nothing to do with Trump and prefers, instead, to fan the flame of collusion. Obama tacitly participated in this innuendo. Meanwhile, the democrats are gripped with mass hysteria over the fact that Hillary's lying ass lost the election. With that as the backdrop, the Trump transition team could not ask the Obama administration for a secure communication channel with Russia and not expect a leak with further innuendo and more Democratic mass hysteria.

So Kushner approached the Russians to inquire about using their secure channel, presumably to keep the media out of what could be routine communication between any incoming administration and the Russian government. That's a pretty stupid proposal (even if innocuous) since the Russians would not want to risk exposing their secret channels. What seems to be even stupider, and not discussed, is that the media is publishing information obtained between the Russian ambassador and his government over a presumably secure channel that's obviously not so secure. I guess the Russians will fix that. Spacibo leakers and msm.

Hillary Clinton, as Secretary of State, attempted to keep all her communications secure from her own government by using a secret email server. That was a potential violation of the espionage act. What law, if any, is potentially violated by the transition team using a secure channel outside the government? It sounds like a variation of the old "red phone" (comic book-like communications with Russia in movies like "Dr. Strangelove). But if there's no collusion or damage to us, doesn't violate a law, and could expose Russian secrecy (if they were stupid enough to agree to it), then who gives a shit? 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

All this Trump hysteria is a distraction away from the corrupt Obama Administration's tactics.

I want to know why they unmasked 150 plus people in 2013 and over 5800 in 2016.  Now that would be an interesting investigation and I bet if the list became available to the public or at least Congress it would tell a story that would expose just how corrupt the Obama Administration really was and how much they acted like a Third World Country.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Democrat Senator ARRESTED For Horrific Corruption.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

AP source: Kushner back channel with Russia involved Syria

Kushner spoke with Ambassador Sergey Kislyak about creating that line of communication to facilitate sensitive discussions aimed at exploring the incoming administration's options with Russia as it was developing its Syria policy, according to a person familiar with the discussions who spoke with The Associated Press.

Russia, a pivotal player in Syria, has backed Syrian President Bashar Assad, often at the expense of civilians during a long civil war.

And the FBI just gets more and more and more curious...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Come on, everyone. I'm still waiting to be investigated. Who knows, I could be leaking information to Newsvine.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Not likely Buzz. Maybe if you were in the Trump administration.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Goodnight and locking until tomorrow.