╌>

Right Wing Protesters Disrupt Free Speech In NYC

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  91 comments

Right Wing Protesters Disrupt Free Speech In NYC

Concerned citizens prevented possible violence as they restrained two right wing bloggers who stormed the stage where local actors were performing a well known play and called the participants Nazis and other provoking names. Violence was averted when actors and stagehands subdued the intruders.  

related

http://nypost.com/2017/06/19/julius-caesar-interrupted-again-by-pro-trump-protesters/

Once more unto the breach!

The Public Theater’s anti-Trump rendition of “Julius Caesar” was interrupted yet again on Sunday — with two protesters storming the stage this time, including one who shouted: “Liberal hate kills!”

Javanni Valle, 26, of Brooklyn, and Salvatore Cipolla, 28, of Oceanside, LI, were arrested and charged with trespassing and disorderly conduct following their Sunday evening stunt at Shakespeare in the Park.

The incident came during the show’s final performance in Central Park — and just two days after a similar protest unfolded at the outside venue.

Laura Loomer, an alt-right journalist,  livestreamed her rush onto the stage Friday night , shouting “Stop leftist violence!” and “New York Public Theater is ISIS!” before being arrested and charged with trespassing and disorderly conduct.

Valle and Cipolla rushed the stage at different times during the play Sunday, with one going toward the beginning and the other coming later on, during the infamous assassination scene.

“During the show a guy jumped on stage, had on fake camera glasses, calling everyone Goebbels and Nazis and he was tackled and [taken] out,” recalled Damion, a 52-year-old Astoria resident who was at the play.

“During the Senate stabbing, a big guy jumped on the stage with a beard,” he told The Post. “They grabbed him right away. He was saying, ‘I’m tired of this bullshit,’ as they were taking him away.”

The Public Theater’s staging of “Julius Caesar” has sparked outrage thanks to its controversial decision to replace the title character with a Donald Trump look-alike.

Delta Air Lines and Bank of America both pulled their sponsorship of the Public Theater in response.

“It was unsettling,” Damion said of the Sunday night protests. “The extras were scattered all around, and the scenes where they’re jumping up, you’re not really sure if they’re actors or protesters. It added an element of adrenaline.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Crazed lunatic right wingers tried to attack actors trying to earn a living. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

The article mentions no attacks by the protesters. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

The article mentions no attacks by the protesters.

Because there were none.  You can see people holding signs and a couple of people running up on the stage during the whole thing.  These crazed right wingers didn't burn anything down, throw any bottles at anyone, break anything or beat up anyone.  That's not to say it won't happen one day.

I believe in freedom of speech and they were doing just that.  I believe the play is an expression of free speech, but to claim these were crazed right wingers is really ridiculous when Liberal Fascists bloody people up at these protest.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

That's what I thought. It's just another fake narrative. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Crazed lunatic right wingers tried to attack actors trying to earn a living.

Obvious case of assault. If they had reached and touched one of the actors it would have been battery also.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

No assault. The police agreed. You can't just make stuff up.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

My commentary is "tongue in cheek", 

BUT, the protesters wanted to shut down free speech. Didn't they? 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

BUT, the protesters wanted to shut down free speech. Didn't they?

Of course they wanted to shut it down.  They didn't like the theme of the program.  That's their right to be of that opinion.  It's the right of the people putting on the program to do so as well.  Both were within their limits.

The only problem is when the Liberal Fascists burn things down, beat people up, throw bottles into the air or directly at them, beat old people up, set things on fire and prevent events from continuing or even starting free speech is really being abused against those who are trying to use theirs.

You never seem to be too concerned about any of those incidents.  I'd say those who have no problem with the burning, destroying, beating people up, including little old ladies and gentlemen and actually killing or trying to kill people really need to look in a mirror at themselves.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Sixpick, are you a comedian? cause, damn, you write some funny stuff. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I hope you're laughing because I hear laughter is good medicine to deal with embarrassment.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

"Of course they wanted to shut it down.  They didn't like the theme of the program.  That's their right to be of that opinion."

As much as I disagreed with a depiction of and thereby encouragement of the assassination of Trump, I am unable to agree with your theory. It has been applied on American campuses preventing speakers from appearing, or making it impossible for those who are interested in hearing a different viewpoint (especially on university campuses where different viewpoints should proliferate) and it is a restriction of freedom of speech, not an expression of it IMO. Bank of America and Delta Airlines did the right thing, the way to curtail such a performance.  I am disgusted by what was performed, those who created it and those who applauded it, and those on NT who agreed with it.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I hate it, But I strongly support their right to perform it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

You would think differently if the POTUS were one you like.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

This same play has been done with an Obama character in the same role and I strongly support their right to perform it. It is art.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

This same play has been done with an Obama character in the same role 

Really? I don't recall any reporting of that - can you provide a link to that?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thanks Kavika. I was busy trying to guess Mac's damned word puzzle!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I've given it two shots, waiting for results on my second guess.....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I gave up before I started. I kept thinking about Bambi.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Kennedy, Johnson and Long were already dead, long before. As for the movie with the personification of Obama, you cannot compare the context.  The hatred of Trump and the open movement for his removal go far beyond the criticism of Obama. You cannot POSSIBLY equate the mood of the public concerning Trump as it was with Obama at the time of that movie. I have to watch that movie to see if it really does personify the POTUS to be Obama. There are other movies where the POTUS was black, played by Morgan Freeman, and by Danny Glover, and others.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

You can not honestly think that the hatred of Trump is in any manner greater then the hatred of Obama was? You can NOT possibly believe that!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

The hatred of Trump is clearly greater than any hatred of Obama.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Why do you think that is ? People keep trying to compare Trump to Obama. There is absolutely no comparison. Just ask a Trump supporter. Lol.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Of course it was a walk in the part for Obama, well except for the lynching. 

There plenty more Buzz, I can post them all day.

pastor-terry-jones-dwoc-gainesville-fl-effigy-of-obama-2.jpg

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Lynching is such an all American thing to do! Or maybe they should have nailed him to a cross? /s

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

I'm pretty sure Obama wasn't lynched.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

That article is irrelevant for reasons I have explained, and the movie is as well.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Let me take this a little further. The depiction of the sitting POTUS being assassinated is beyond the pale. It has been established that there are persons out there with mental illness who could well be influenced, even encouraged, to attempt to carry out such an act. We all know that assassinating the POTUS is not an impossible task - We all know it's been done and attempted in the past. I believe in free speech - it is more free in the USA than anywhere, but there must be SOME limitations to it and when that speech encourages a criminal act that has the possibility to harm a person or persons, that to me is what should be limited. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6    7 years ago

LMAO!   Righties peacefully protest and the left tries to make it look like Berkley.  You can't even make this shit up.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  96WS6   7 years ago

LMAO!   Righties peacefully protest and the left tries to make it look like Berkley.  You can't even make this shit up.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.  The asylum is the Democrat Party.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

The lengths some of you people will go to construct a tissue paper rationale for the travesty otherwise known as the Trump presidency.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Two sets of "alt right" protesters jumped up on the stage at the Julius Caesar production, two nights in a row. 

Jumping up on a stage during a production could be construed as an act of violence in itself as it is an inherent "threat" to the performers who don't know what the hell is going on. 

These days when someone runs out on the field at a baseball or football game they are "violently" apprehended, the security people do not wait for the intruder to tire themselves out running around. 

The alt right protesters at the play wanted to shut the play down, thus shutting down "free speech".  This is not debatable. 

Just because it was only a few people instead of 2 or 3 hundred doesnt change what happened. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

"Jumping up on a stage during a production could be construed as an act of violence in itself as it is an inherent "threat" to the performers who don't know what the hell is going on. "

But destroying barricades, assaulting guards, burning cars, and blocking access is "peaceful" when perpetrated by progressives?

Lol.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

My final word. I am conflicted here. Although I agree that rushing the stage is NOT a legitimate exercise of free speech, because trying to shut up another's viewpoint given in public by shouting or rushing the stage is IMO wrong and CONTRARY to the right to free speech.  On the other hand, the depiction of Trump being assassinated is also wrong. This is not historical, this is suggesting and encouraging such an act to take place. As I keep saying, there are mentally troubled persons who will try to take the hint and carry it out. The protest by BofA and Delta along with the statement by Amex are acceptable forms of protest. Standing outside peacefully with signs and posters is acceptable. But promoting the assassination of a sitting POTUS is NOT acceptable.