╌>

Has Anyone Seen The Movie "Okja"?

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

Has Anyone Seen The Movie "Okja"?

Netflix released an original movie , Okja, recently after entering it in the Canne Film Festival. 

I mention it here because there are so many animal lovers on Newstalkers. This may be a movie that interests you, although I would warn it is a little strange in both the story and the characterizations. It is also a blunt satire/warning about corporations, the meat industry, and greed versus animals. 

The Mirando Corporation creates a global competition for farmers to grow genetically modified super pigs. 10 years later, Okja, a super pig (larger than a large elephant) is named the winner of the competition, and is brought , against the wishes of the teenage South Korean girl who raised him, to New York for the unveiling which is precursor to the pigs being slaughtered for their "super meat". The story is about the efforts of the girl Mija and animal activists (the Animal Liberation Front) to rescue Okja and bring her back to South Korea to live out her days peacefully. 

Okja is both a wild adventure movie and  a sad tale of animal abuse. I doubt if anyone will see a more original movie this year. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

The film depicts the workings of a slaughter house and processing plant where the super pigs meet their fate , which is strong stuff, but very germane to the story. 

This is theatrical caliber film making. Anyone with an interest in the topic should see it  if they can. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Although I do have access to watch the movie Bokeh suggested by Badfish, I am unable to watch Okja.  However, your article brought back to my mind watching a full-grown pig being dragged, squeeling its head off, by a big hook poked through its ear, to a truck to be taken I assume to a slaughterhouse.  Not a pretty memory.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

While a lovely and inspiring story, I doubt that I will be able to watch it...  Nightmare inducing, too.  Thanks for letting us know about the film!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I've not heard of it, but I'll give it a go on netflix...

Thanks JR.