╌>

The Trump Voter

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  14 comments

The Trump Voter

"...Trump is their safe space who allows them to believe whatever they want to believe because anything that doesn't comport can be dismissed as "fake." It must be so comforting.

I personally blame social media which is delivering what used to only be delivered by Fox and talk radio --- alternate reality (Trump means what he says? In fact, he says whatever he thinks his audience wants to hear. But you knew that) but in the hands of people you know and trust.  It's also making it easy to organize your own fanatical group. The left is doing it too, of course. That's the Resistance.This is the Counter-Resistance.

This is all very depressing. According to the article, these folks are still mourning the loss of Exxon jobs that left in 1982 --- 35 years ago --- and don't want to work in the new industries like health care and education, probably because they don't pay as well or have the same cachet as the macho oil field jobs. The loss of oil jobs has become a become an inter-generational identity.

This is not about issues, though, not really. I'm not even sure it's about status. I think it might be just about alienation and loneliness. It seems to me that what these people were yearning for was a shared purpose, something they could do together. Trump activated that by naming and pointing at their common enemies. Us.

Trump let the raging right wing id out of the bottle, let it wail, made it fun, made it social, opened up a world in which they could all meet each other and share a communal space, free to let their freak flags fly unlike the greater world which circumscribes their true feelings.

Anyway, that's about all the time I have this week for pondering that vast neediness of the Trump voter. It's interesting, even necessary to look at it. But in the end, they are no more important than the Latino cook in New Mexico or the young female retail clerk in suburban Maryland or the African American insurance company manager in Illinois. This is a very big country and we all have our issues, we all have our needs. This focus on this one group is creating a sense that only they represent the true character of our country and everyone else is going to have to adjust to it.

No. The have the same rights and responsibilities as all Americans but they only represent themselves. There are hundreds of millions of us who don't agree with them. "

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/trumps-herrenvolk.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

"...Trump is their safe space who allows them to believe whatever they want to believe because anything that doesn't comport can be dismissed as "fake." It must be so comforting.

I personally blame social media which is delivering what used to only be delivered by Fox and talk radio --- alternate reality (Trump means what he says? In fact, he says whatever he thinks his audience wants to hear."

I think that gets to the heart of the matter.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

DE4LjdPXcAAQuoI.jpg

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Perfect.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

LOL, more than perfect.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

LOL, more than perfect.

I'm ordering t-shirts for all of us. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Oh, lets do that !

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Hell I'd get one! That description fits and it also fits many right on this site!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

BTW, did the Republican Party use to be against Russia? You know? Their spies and such? Keep them from taking over America? Stuff like that? Now all they do is to apologize for Russia and Putin? Why are so many on their side now?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

You know it's all in good fun most of the time. However I have no doubt at all that if Trump were to order the American flag be taken down from the White House and the Russian one be flown instead, that I can not think of a single Trump supporter on this site who would not try to figure out a way to justify it or blame someone, anyone, other then Trump and would still be his supporter.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

That is absolutely an inane comment.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Except that it is true.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OH-5LoHDc2E

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

What politician doesn't play "to the boys in the balcony"?  And, when we disagreed with Obama we were called racists. The left were the ones throwing shit at anyone who disagreed. 

I don't follow in the footsteps of those who may agree with everything that Pres. Trump says of does.  But, I do support his efforts despite the absolute disgrace of efforts by some to impeach him before he even slept in the WH.