╌>

Thoughtful Discourse in the Age of the Social Justice Warrior

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  freewill  •  7 years ago  •  9 comments

Thoughtful Discourse in the Age of the Social Justice Warrior

Very interesting! I believe this podcast first aired back in August or September and there are others featuring the same experts. I think those with a desire for rational, reasonable and productive discourse will find this worth a listen, regardless how one feels about the host Joe Rogan.  If nothing else it is thought provoking for those with open minds and a willingness to learn. Enjoy!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Freewill    7 years ago

At the 49 minute mark through 52 minutes, this encapsulates quite well my own thinking over the last decade or so with respect to politics and personal responsibility. Toward the end of the Bush Administration I had created a blog in which my author tag line was, "A citizen concerned about the deterioration of personal responsibility and the ever increasing reach of the Government in this country". I continue to contemplate and ruminate on that concern to this day. Rarely do I hear others touch on this issue. Within this span of the podcast Mr. Peterson says that he likes to suggest to his students:

"Personal responsibility as an alternative to political ideology"

Perfect!  A fantastic invitation to independent thought!

He goes on to say:

"A well developed individual is the antidote to the tyranny of society and biology"

and laments:

"Many people don't want to bear the responsibility for developing themselves as individuals"

and then goes on to explain the consequences of that.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Freewill @1    7 years ago

I especially like their treatment of idle youth energy and, in general, the societal need for people to believe they have a purpose.   Sans purpose, sans hope, human beings trend violent.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freewill @1    7 years ago
Perfect!  A fantastic invitation to independent thought!

Just the idea of independent thought is refreshing. 

"Many people don't want to bear the responsibility for developing themselves as individuals"

Well in order to do that, one must be able to first be introspective. Most people can't achieve that. They can clearly see the faults of others while not seeing how to fix themselves first and without doing that, how can you have personal responsibility? 

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Freewill  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2    7 years ago
Most people can't achieve that

Perhaps some people can't.  But I believe that by participating in rational open discussions, like the example provided in this podcast, most people can achieve a level of introspection that will lead to the assumption of greater responsibility for their development as an individual, and perhaps an appreciation for more independent thinking.  Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I believe that highlighting such examples are the only way to get past the combativeness, pettiness and vitriol that clutters or destroys much of our political discourse these days.  

lib50
Professor Silent
2  lib50    7 years ago

Right now the term 'personal responsibility' is being used as political buzzfeed.  It can mean anything to anybody because it is just a term.  Used a lot politically these days.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lib50 @2    7 years ago

Well, in this sense, I am taking it in its purest form. 

For instance when someone does something wrong and when they get caught, finds a way to blame something or someone else instead of owning their own deed. As a moderator, I run into that a lot. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    7 years ago

Personal responsibility is fine, but it is not an alternative to a political program. Not in politics anyway. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    7 years ago

I listened to what you recommended between 49 and 52 minutes. I think the point about personal responsibility is always applicable, and has some relevance to the national political/social scene, but I don't think it has the extent of relevance as the speaker on the video believes. 

At one point he says " I am trying to agitate for "personal responsibility" as an alternative to political ideology".

I don't think this is a useful proposal. Personal responsibility and a political ideology should complement one another, - one is not a replacement or alternative to the other. 

In America today , because of social media and the internet, we have more "ideology" thrown at us on a daily basis than ever before in history. Someone is going to win the ideological battle, temporarily if not permanently. Everyone follows an ideology, even if their ideology is "centrism". 

Freewill
Junior Quiet
3.1  seeder  Freewill  replied to  JohnRussell @3    7 years ago

I believe what he means by that is that ideally one must take the responsibility for developing one's own stance on individual issues or ideas rather than succumbing to the pressures of some political ideology or platform, or giving in to what is labeled "politically correct".   In order to do that one must take it upon oneself to gather all the facts, science, and evidence about a particular subject and then form one's own independent and informed opinion rather than taking the word of others who might have other motives or occasion to play fast and loose with the facts, or play on the emotions of others. Group-think can lead to tyranny, or at least to combative stagnation between strict ideologies, while independent thought derived from personal effort can lead to innovation and positive collaboration.  Hope that makes sense.  Long day, so I hope to be more clear-minded in the morning.