╌>

U.S. Army says mishandled war dogs, will comply with call for reform

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-berlin-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  13 comments

U.S. Army says mishandled war dogs, will comply with call for reform

a man wearing a military uniform: FILE PHOTO: U.S. soldiers take a break with sniffer dog during search operation in a brickyard near the city of Narhwan

© REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch/File Photo   FILE PHOTO: U.S. soldiers take a break with sniffer dog during search operation in a brickyard near the city of Narhwan

In a report released on Friday, the Inspector General said that canine heroes, which saved the lives of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan while working with brigade combat teams to sniff out roadside bombs, were mistreated by the Army after they returned to the United States.

The report said that some dogs were left in kennels for up to 11 months, beyond a deadline for giving them away for adoption or re-using them in the military or other government agencies. It said they were mistreated through lack of care and attention, and others may have been put down.

In some cases, the report said, soldiers who wanted to adopt dogs with which they had worked were not told they had the right to do so. An investigation was started after soldiers who had handled the war dogs complained about their fate.

Read more here

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

For many of our bravest canine who served, their end is cruel and unnecessary. I was disgusted when I read this story. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

There is a percentage of the population that has a complete lack of empathy for or feeling of connection to animals. I assume that some of that percentage is also reflected in the military. 

At least the issue has been caught and publicized and the guilty may be forced to rectify the situation going forward. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    6 years ago

It took a long enough. I have done more reading on this and they have destroyed hundreds of dogs that their handlers wanted. That is a crime. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    6 years ago

yes it is. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

WTF is wrong with these asswipes...

War after war we leave them behind or mistreat them. We left behind thousands of war dogs that saved untold US military in combat in Vietnam...They were considered ''surplus equipment''....

''Always Faithful'' a book written by Wm. Putney of the first Marine War Dogs in WWII....A brilliant book by Putney who was their Dog Company commander...The miltary wanted to destroy over 500 dogs because they felt that they could not be retrained to return to civil life. Captain Putney fought this and retrained all of the dogs except 4 that could not be retrained. 

Photo of the Marine War Dog Memorial and cemetary on Guam...

Image result for photo of the war dog memorial on Guam

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

Into the belly of the beast...The second battle of Guam, 1944...

Image result for photos of the war dogs of guam in wwii

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3.1    6 years ago

Every one of those dogs is as brave as their handler. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago
War after war we leave them behind or mistreat them. We left behind thousands of war dogs that saved untold US military in combat in Vietnam...They were considered ''surplus equipment''....

I never knew that. That is horrible. These dogs are heros. 

I plan on reading ''Always Faithful''. Thanks for the info. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

This is sad. I hate to see these beautiful dogs mistreated

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4    6 years ago

Especially after the thousands of lives that they have saved. It's really sad, Trout.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @4.1    6 years ago

I totally agree, Trout. When I read this story, I didn't know if I was more angry or sad.