╌>

Who are your heroes?

Category:  Other

By:  sunshine  •  6 years ago  •  34 comments

Who are your heroes?

Yesterday my Uncle posted a picture on his facebook page. Which in itself was a shocker, because he like me rarely post anything on facebook.  Also, what I saw was a shocker to me, I had no idea.

My Uncle served in the US Marines in Vietnam. Like many Veterans of that war, he never has spoke about it. In fact, no one ever spoke too much about the war. All these years later he is now starting to open up about his service and share.  

I can remember my mother sending them (my other Uncle) care packages to Vietnam. I can remember her and my step-father discussing the war and his service. They said he did receive the Purple Heart Medal for being wounded during combat, but the family rumor was that he had thrown it away. I guess he didn’t.

He posted this picture along with him in full dress uniform wearing the Purple Heart and the two medals next to it. I have been researching the other medals and bars. But, not sure what some of the bottom ones are. If anyone knows, let me know. I sent him a message, but not sure I will even hear back from him. He lives in Missouri and I hope I can visit him sometime this summer. He is starting to suffer from dementia.

I think he is finally now proud to talk about his sacrifice. It has taken a very very long time for him.

I have always been proud of everyone in my family that has served. It is sad that our Vietnam warriors where shamed at the time and only lately can proudly display their courage.  But in my family those that serve are our heroes.

Who are your heroes?  

MEDALS.jpg

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1  author  Sunshine    6 years ago

Do you have a hero?

I have several.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I have two. 

The first one is my dad, Big Chief, DOM. 

Went into the Navy at 17 and served in both Korea and Vietnam. Received the highest rank for an enlisted man. While in the reserves, went to college, became an engineer. Went on to develop the stabilizers for the LEM (his signature is on the moon in a time capsule), navigation system for the F14 and the E2C. Class A goof. Nicest person anyone could meet. 

The other is Alphonse DeNatalie. I have his war memorials in my living room. He died in the Great War at the age of 18. I found his war memorials in an antique store. There is no one alive or cares to remember him, so I do that. People often ask me if he was family and I reply, "Now he is". Dad salutes him on Memorial Day. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1  author  Sunshine  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    6 years ago

Like father like daughter, very accomplished person.

The other is Alphonse DeNatalie. There is no one alive or cares to remember him, so I do that.

You are his hero.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Anyone who consistently fights for the underdog, the unprivileged, and those who lack representation in the power structure. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Stormy Daniels.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     6 years ago

Your uncle lives in Missouri, I live in Missouri..If I'm anywhere close to where he lives I would gladly go there and shake his hand. From one Vietnam vet to another...

Like JohnRussell, some of my hero's are those that fight for the underdog/unprivileged..

On a more personal basis. My father who was in the fist wave to hit the beach at Tarawa. Purple Heart, 3 clusters..

My cousin KIA at the Battle of the Bulge. My son, wounded when a suicide bomber struck the Marine barracks at Beirut. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1  author  Sunshine  replied to  Kavika @5    6 years ago

He is living in Kennett.  I am going to drive down this summer to see him.

Thank you Kavika and your family. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Sunshine @5.1    6 years ago

Kennett is in the far southeast corner of MO. I live in the southwest corner of MO..Across the state. 

Wish him well for me and a salute to him.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  author  Sunshine  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    6 years ago
Wish him well for me and a salute to him.

I will.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @5    6 years ago
My son, wounded when a suicide bomber struck the Marine barracks at Beirut.

I "saw" that happen. Shamanism.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    6 years ago

My historical heroes would be the Founders, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson. My individual current heroine would be Malala Yousafzai. My collective heroes would by the good and honest law enforcement officers who put their lives on the line every day, and all those servicemen and women who have paid the final price in defense of this country.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.1  author  Sunshine  replied to  Greg Jones @6    6 years ago
Malala Yousafzai.

a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest Nobel Prize laureate.

She is only 20 years old....amazing young lady.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8  1stwarrior    6 years ago

Sunshine - I "think" the ribbons are -

1st row - Purple Heart with star (2nd award), Combat Action Ribbon, Presidential Unit Citation

2nd row - Navy Meritorious Unit Citation, National Defense Ribbon, Vietnam Service Medal with four stars

3rd row - Republic of Vietnam Civil Actions Color with Palm, Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with 60's device.

Surprised not seeing the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1  author  Sunshine  replied to  1stwarrior @8    6 years ago
Surprised not seeing the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal

Thank you 1st warrior.  I wonder if he got one?  There maybe a story behind that I have heard.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Sunshine @8.1    6 years ago

"Usually" get one after 3 years of "good" service - sure he has one.

Tell him Semper Fi for me.  Who knows, he and I might have been there together.

My hero?  MajGen James F. Hamlet - USArmy - and my dad, his wing partner.

lib50
Professor Silent
9  lib50    6 years ago

Military hero would be my son.  Served in Iraq for 15 months,   don't really want to  list his accomplishments  publicly, but there are many.  And I am so glad he made it out alive.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9.1  author  Sunshine  replied to  lib50 @9    6 years ago
And I am so glad he made it out alive.

I couldn't even attempt to know what it is like to have a child in combat.  

Thank you to your son.

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1.1  lib50  replied to  Sunshine @9.1    6 years ago

Thank you,  it was the most difficult time of my life, he deployed a year after the death of my daughter. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

My hero's, Martin Luther King Jr. and, Gandhi, two men who had the courage to take on governments and, win. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11  Freefaller    6 years ago

First my dad.  Raised in poverty, joined the military as a Pte at 17 with a grade 5 education, did lots of interesting stuff, upgraded his education, retired 37 years later as a full Col having raised two good kids partially as a single parent one became a doctor the other became me.

Second Professor X of the X-Men.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
11.1  author  Sunshine  replied to  Freefaller @11    6 years ago

Dads are the best.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
12  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

Badfish

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
12.1  author  Sunshine  replied to  Dean Moriarty @12    6 years ago

awe shucks....you are going to make him blush.

drseusscharactersclipartfreeclipartimages.jpg

Randy
Sophomore Participates
14  Randy    6 years ago

Brig Gen James Stewart and Brig Gen Chuck Yeager

cjcold
Professor Quiet
14.1  cjcold  replied to  Randy @14    6 years ago

Watched The Right Stuff a few hours ago. Yeager had some big brass balls.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
14.1.1  Randy  replied to  cjcold @14.1    6 years ago

He had some major Brass Balls during WWII also. He started as an Army Air Force Private Mechanic and then went to flight school and became a P-51 fighter pilot. He only got one kill before he was shot down on his 8th mission and was saved by the French Resistance. While he was with them he showed them how to make bombs easier and saved another, this time wounded, P-51 pilot. He and the other pilot had to go to Eisenhower to push for permission to fly over enemy territory again because it was forbidden since if they were captured again they knew too much about the Resistance. They got permission since it was after D-day and there wasn't much they could tell about the Resistance since they were openly working with allies at that point anyway. In the end Yeager was credited with 1.5 kills including 5 in on day, A rare "Ace in a day" and 2 of them he got without firing a shot. He snuck up into firing postion on an ME-109 and startled the pilot so suddenly that he swung away from him and right into his wingman's plane, destroying both aircraft.

I also have James Stewart as a hero because like many Hollywood stars, he could have taken a cushy job doing propaganda films, but he loved to fly and was a great pilot even before the war. So after a lot of training assignments he became the commander of a B-24 bomb wing in England. Was awarded two Distinguished Flying Crosses and an Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters. And he fought publicity for what he was doing. He wanted as few people as possible to know because he felt he was just doing his duty. Gotta love that! He stayed in the Air Force Reserve after WWII and when he retired Ronald Reagan promoted him to Major General. He was the real thing. Not

Randy
Sophomore Participates
14.1.2  Randy  replied to  Randy @14.1.1    6 years ago

He had some major Brass Balls during WWII also. He started as an Army Air Force Private Mechanic and then went to flight school and became a P-51 fighter pilot. He only got one kill before he was shot down on his 8th mission and was saved by the French Resistance. While he was with them he showed them how to make bombs easier and saved another, this time wounded, P-51 pilot. He and the other pilot had to go to Eisenhower to push for permission to fly over enemy territory again because it was forbidden since if they were captured again they knew too much about the Resistance. They got permission since it was after D-day and there wasn't much they could tell about the Resistance since they were openly working with allies at that point anyway. In the end Yeager was credited with 11.5 kills including 5 in on day, A rare "Ace in a day" and the first 2 of them he got that day he got without firing a shot. He snuck up into firing postion on an ME-109 and startled the German fighter pilot so suddenly that he swung away from him and right into his wingman's plane, destroying both aircraft. He said both of the German pilots bailed out safely, but it still counted as two ME-109's down for Yeager.

I also have James Stewart as a hero because like many Hollywood stars, he could have taken a cushy job doing propaganda films, but he loved to fly and was a great pilot even before the war. He was one of the original founders and investors of Southwest Airlines. So after a lot of training assignments he became the commander of a B-24 bomb wing in England. Was awarded two Distinguished Flying Crosses and an Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters. And he fought publicity for what he was doing. He wanted as few people as possible to know because he felt he was just doing his duty. He wanted no special treatment or notice. Gotta love that! He stayed in the Air Force Reserve after WWII and when he finally retired Ronald Reagan promoted him to Major General. He was the real thing. Not a show off, but real Air Force Blue, inside and out. He did the hard work to get to Brigadier General. He also earned the retirement promotion. I always admired him.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
15  cjcold    6 years ago

Mom and dad. They taught me how to think instead of teaching me what to think.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
16  luther28    6 years ago

Mother and Father, wish they were here.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
17  author  Sunshine    6 years ago

Luther - Handsome little boy in your avatar.  Looks about the same age as my grandson who is 9.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
17.1  luther28  replied to  Sunshine @17    6 years ago

Grandson, 10 going on 40 :)