╌>

The Devil Is In The Details: What Is Trump Doing To Bridge The Divide? There Are Issues We Have To Talk About.

Category:  News & Politics

By:  docphil  •  6 years ago  •  28 comments

The Devil Is In The Details: What Is Trump Doing To Bridge The Divide? There Are Issues We Have To Talk About.

President Trump has been one thing that almost all voters are in agreement over. He has become easily the most divisive President in the past 125 years. Those who are Trump supporters appear to agree with his policies in united lockstep, while those who do not support Mr. Trump see the policies of the Trump administration harming this nation. On behalf of many of those who sit on the non-Trump supporter side, I would like to have a discussion between Trump supporters and those who disagree with Trump's agenda.

There are innumerable areas of dispute between the sides. For now, however, let's try to talk about 10 issues that have been in the forefront during the administration's term. I will list those areas and give a brief anecdotal response from my perspective. This article is long, but bear with me.

1. NO MATTER HOW MANY MASS MURDERS OR INSTANCES OF CONTINUED GUN VIOLENCE IN THIS NATION, THE PRESIDENT STILL STANDS IN LOCKSTEP WITH THE N.R.A.. In some ways this is a no-brainer. The N.R.A. has dictated gun policy in this country for the past 40 years. The nation is overwhelmingly for the limitation of rapid fire and large clip guns. They are also overwhelmingly in favor of complete background checks and limits on who can and can't own a gun. Legitimate gun owners should be on board with these common sense solutions.
2. DESPITE OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY, PRESIDENT TRUMP IS ROLLING BACK LEGISLATION ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND DISTANCING THE U.S.A. FROM AGREEMENTS SUCH AS THE PARIS CLIMATE ACCORDS. From the point of view of some of the major donors in the Republican party, Trump's actions may be understood, but not justified. When there is a scientific principle that over 97% of scientists trained in this sphere agree that climate change is real and man is a significant causal factor in that change, it borders on folly and the poorest possible stewardship of the world by the so called leader of the free world.
3. DESPITE AN OVERWHELMING AGREEMENT, EVEN AMONG MEMBERS OF HIS OWN ADMINISTRATION, THE PRESIDENT CONTINUES TO DENY RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE IN THE 2016 AND POTENTIALLY IN THE 2018 ELECTIONS. If it walks like a duck, if it talks like a duck, and acts like a duck……the chances are that it is a duck. But just to be on the safe side, allow the Mueller investigation take it's course and find out what they may.
4. THE PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN A CLEAR ANTI-LBGT-Q AGENDA. AGAIN THIS IS NOT THE BELIEF OF THE LARGE MAJORITY OF THE NATION. President Trump has decided that he can act as the moral compass of the nation {wrong actor for the role}. He has decided to come out in the open with his homophobia and general repressiveness surrounding sexual identity, his own sexual peccadillos aside. The majority of Americans believe that people with these identities are normal people expressing their sexual preference or how they identify themselves in a different way. This behavior is Orwellian. The government has no right to try to determine "correct sexual behavior". The great majority of Americans have the belief that what people do in the bedroom is their own business as long as it is consentual among adults and does not hurt each other.
5. THE PRESIDENT IS INTENT ON NOMINATING JUSTICES WHO ARE ANTI-ROE V. WADE
ALTHOUGH 72% OF THE PUBLIC WANTS TO SEE THIS REMAIN LAW, AND A CLEAR MAJORITY OF THE LEGAL COMMUNITY SEES THIS ISSUE AS SETTLED LAW. Other than a small minority of basically Evangelical and Catholic individuals and institutions are for repeal of Roe v. Wade, an overwhelming majority of Americans support the decision. The reality is that no one on either side of the argument would like to see fewer abortions. It might be better federal policy to look at alternatives to abortion…..strengthening families, improving pre-natal and post-natal care,improving adotion services, teaching students about contraception, etc.
6. THE PRESIDENT HAS ENGINEERED A TAX CUT PROGRAM THAT ABSURDLY BENEFITS THOSE WHO ARE RICH. WITHIN THIS ADMINISTRATION, THE MORE WEALTH YOU HAVE, THE MORE YOU SHOULD BENEFIT FROM TAX CUTS. It was clear from the onset that the President and Congress were hoping that they would get a major bump from their tax cut plan. It didn’t work out that way. Voters are not seeing the gains they hoped for in the plan and ultimately, with the problems of health care that millions of American are facing, too many Americans are seeing declines in their take home pay.
7. PRESIDENT TRUMP CAMPAIGNED ON A"REPEAL OBAMA CARE" AND REPLACE IT WITH A SYSTEM THAT WAS MORE EFFECTIVE, MORE INCLUSIVE AND LESS EXPENSIVE FOR THE PUBLIC. WHEN CONGRESS FAILED TO REPEAL THE A.C.A., THE PRESIDENT, THROUGH A SERIES OF EXECUTIVE ORDERS HAS DONE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO CREATE AN ACTUALHEALTH CARE CRISIS. IN THE MEANWHILE, NEITHER THE PRESIDENT NOR CONGRESS HAS COME UP WITH A WORKABLE ALTERNATIVE. When polled, the most important issue in the upcoming elections is health care.As costs soar and benefits shrink, it is becoming increasingly obvious that the electorate wants an ACA bill that is tweaked around the edges, not a second grader going after the system with a scalpel they have no idea how to use. What this administration and the republican party can do in improving health care is a critical area during the upcoming election.
8. FOR THE FIRST TIME, A PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN AWAY SECURITY CLEARANCES ON PRIOR OFFICIALS WHO HAVE BEEN VOCAL CRITICS OF HIS ADMINISTRATION. BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE HAVE CRITICIZED THIS MOVE. This has just become a major issue, but one that reeks of national security risks. One of the reasons that former White House staffers keep their security clearances is that they assist their successors in transition and in times of crisis. This short circuits the smooth oerations and transitions of government.
9. WHETHER OR NOT THE READER BELIEVES THAT THE MUELLER INVESTIGATION IS GOING TO END WELL FOR THE PRESIDENT, THE GREAT MAJORITY OF AMERICANS BELIEVE THAT THE INVESTIGATION SHOULD BE OBSTRUCTED, OBFUSCATED, AND DEFLECTED. It is obvious that this is the most concerning and divisive issues in America today. Whether or not we believe that the current administration is or isn’t a part or a target of the probe, the idea that a foreign government may have {and almost certainly did} interfere with an American election should be a call to all Americans for the most thorough and meticulous investigation in history. To attempt to obstruct that investigation from the White House by order, tweet, or surrogate only amps up the importance of that investigation coming to a fully comprehensive conclusion.
10. WATCHING THE PRESIDENT ENGAGE IN FOREIGN POLICY HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE SCENARIO FOR THIS NATION. WE ARE FOREGOING OUR ALLIES AND ALLYING WITH OUR ENEMIES. THERE APPEARS TO BE A NEW SET OF ALLIANCES EMERGING IN THE WORLD AND THE UNITED STATES SEEMS TO BE ON THE SIDE THAT MOST AMERICANS DON'T WANT TO BE ON. This has been an area that even people in the President’s own political circle have questioned. Whether in the areas of tariffs, trade agreements, fiscal support, defense alliances, etc., this President has placed us on the opposite side of where the nation has been since the end of World War II. This foreign policy is unacceptable to the great majority of Americans.

This is only a sampling of areas that could be spoken about. Other areas that this president is diverting from the majority of Americans include education, fossil fuel exploration, urban policy, tariffs, racial tensions, women’s issues, etc. I hope to write another opinion piece in order to cover those issues and a few others.

In the meantime, let’s try to have a civil discussion on these issues. I know the article is long, but it’s a lot to get through.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
1  author  DocPhil    6 years ago

My question to both Trump supporters and Trump non-supporters is how do you substantiate your position on each or any of these issues. Let's try to get our opinions down on paper before we start attacking the other side. Facts first, debate second. Thanks.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    6 years ago

Well.  The bottom line is the fact that never before has a foreign power exerted its political influence with such magnitude within the borders of the US.

"Bridge The Divide."  ? ?  Difficult to do when 'that divide' has been nurtured and cultivated with the explicit purpose of weakening America and increase America's vulnerabilities.

user image
Freshman Silent
4      6 years ago

A Simple Question needing an strong convincing answer!!!

How many Guns commit  Mass Murder, or even A murder?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  @4    6 years ago

chartoftheday_3672_americas_insane_rate_of_gun_homicide_in_perspective_n.jpg

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.1    replied to  MrFrost @4.1    6 years ago

E.A  was that a Lame attempt to do what may I ask?

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.3    replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.2    6 years ago
It's all that is known....  and it's LAME.....

E.A Indeed so, and it is extremely DANGEROUS for it empowers the  Criminals, while placing ALL Law abiding citizens in a Disadvantage!!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago

27291067.png

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2  Tacos!  replied to  MrFrost @5    6 years ago

Does Greater Ville have 3 times the amount of guns as Honduras? More importantly, does Greater Ville have 58 times the number of guns as the rest of the US? I doubt it. If not, you have start looking elsewhere, like maybe something is going on with the people.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @5.2    6 years ago
Does Greater Ville have 3 times the amount of guns as Honduras?

Per 100,000... read it again. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  MrFrost @5.2.1    6 years ago
Per 100,000

Yeah I know. That doesn't change my question. Per capita, to be clear, does this town have 3 times the number of guns as Honduras? Now that you understand the question, you want to try to answer it?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    6 years ago

With apologies to Reagan, some things you think you know just aren't so.

NO MATTER HOW MANY MASS MURDERS OR INSTANCES OF CONTINUED GUN VIOLENCE IN THIS NATION, THE PRESIDENT STILL STANDS IN LOCKSTEP WITH THE N.R.A.

The NRA lobbies to defend the 2nd Amendment. It's paranoia that defies common sense to imagine that the NRA is keeping Congress from repealing the 2nd Amendment.  

The nation is overwhelmingly for the limitation of rapid fire and large clip guns.

Fully automatic guns are already extremely hard to acquire. Other than bolt action hunting rifles and pump action or double-barreled shotguns, virtually every other gun you can buy is semi-automatic and they can all be fired as fast as your finger can work.

They are also overwhelmingly in favor of complete background checks and limits on who can and can't own a gun.

These things exist already.

DESPITE OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY, PRESIDENT TRUMP IS ROLLING BACK LEGISLATION ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND DISTANCING THE U.S.A. FROM AGREEMENTS SUCH AS THE PARIS CLIMATE ACCORDS.

Any honest assessment of the Paris accords, including from its own supporters, has shown that the effect on the climate will be incredibly small. And that's if everybody does everything they agree to do. When is the last time all those countries did exactly what they promised they would do?

DESPITE AN OVERWHELMING AGREEMENT, EVEN AMONG MEMBERS OF HIS OWN ADMINISTRATION, THE PRESIDENT CONTINUES TO DENY RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE IN THE 2016 AND POTENTIALLY IN THE 2018 ELECTIONS

Actually, what he objects to is the insinuation that he doesn't deserve to be president because somehow the Russians changed the way people would vote or that they corrupted the count. Neither of which is true and neither of which is claimed to be true by all those intelligence agencies. As we all know, he invited Russia to find and publish Hillary's emails in 2016. In June 2017, he was critical of the Obama administration for ignoring Russian interference even though they knew about it. So he has not been denying that they tried to interfere.

THE PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN A CLEAR ANTI-LBGT-Q AGENDA.

I'm not sure what you mean, so it can't be that clear. Even on the bathroom issue, he said a long time ago that that should be left up to local authority and he doesn't think it's a big deal.

THE PRESIDENT IS INTENT ON NOMINATING JUSTICES WHO ARE ANTI-ROE V. WADE

He said he was, but he found out pretty quick that that's almost impossible to do. Thus he has transitioned to nominating judges that oppose legislating from the bench.

THE PRESIDENT HAS ENGINEERED A TAX CUT PROGRAM THAT ABSURDLY BENEFITS THOSE WHO ARE RICH.

I think the tax cut was mostly political, but it appears to be benefitting all sorts of people. It may not have been economically crucial. I think it's hard to say.

I don't begrudge rich people their wealth as long as it was acquired honestly. All the whining the Left does about "rich people" is pretty childish. Envy is not attractive.

"REPEAL OBAMA CARE" AND REPLACE IT WITH A SYSTEM THAT WAS MORE EFFECTIVE

Trump's mistake was expecting that he could delegate this job to Congress. There's plenty of blame to go around on Capitol Hill.

A PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN AWAY SECURITY CLEARANCES ON PRIOR OFFICIALS

I don't feel bad for Brennan. He has lied to Congress and the media before. He probably should have lost his clearance long ago. The notion that people are genuinely upset about this is a little hard for me to believe.

THE GREAT MAJORITY OF AMERICANS BELIEVE THAT THE INVESTIGATION SHOULD BE OBSTRUCTED, OBFUSCATED, AND DEFLECTED

I assume you mean "should not be obstructed." Anyway, it hasn't been obstructed in the slightest, but the president - like any American citizen - has a right to bitch and moan about a government investigation.

WATCHING THE PRESIDENT ENGAGE IN FOREIGN POLICY HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE SCENARIO FOR THIS NATION. WE ARE FOREGOING OUR ALLIES AND ALLYING WITH OUR ENEMIES.

What have we done to our allies except maybe kiss their butts a little less? A true friend doesn't take advantage of you, but if he does, you should be able to tell him to his face. I have no problem with Trump doing that. If they're really our friends, they will go on being our friends. And look what happened: He demanded they pay more to NATO. They're doing it. He didn't like the trade deal so he threatened tariffs. Now they're negotiating a new trade deal. Believe me, Europe wants to be friends with the US.

And how have we allied with our enemies? Trying to make peace with North Korea is just smart. If you mean Russia, again we should want to be their friends, but Trump has actually done quite a bit to piss them off. Who's left? Iraq? Afghanistan? 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
7  lennylynx    6 years ago

One question Doc.  What makes you thing there is ANY chance of reasoning with someone who still supports Trump, after the year and a half horror show we have witnessed?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1  Tacos!  replied to  lennylynx @7    6 years ago
What makes you thing there is ANY chance of reasoning with someone who still supports Trump

Better question: Since you assume Trump supporters are closed-minded what is the chance of someone reasoning with you? I don't ask that to be mean. I'm just trying to show that prejudice can flow in any direction.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    6 years ago

The time where Trump could redeem himself by good actions is long gone. He is psychologically and morally damaged far beyond the point of redemption. His presidency needs to be put down like the rabid wild animal that it is. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @8    6 years ago

We've been over this quite a number of times. Elect a new President in 2020, if you can.

All your wishing Trump out of office hasn't been working for you so far.

What do they say doing the same thing over and over and over and over again and expecting different results?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
9  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Not going to pick apart the list .. just add my 2 cents to 2 points in the seed

1. NO MATTER HOW MANY MASS MURDERS OR INSTANCES OF CONTINUED GUN VIOLENCE IN THIS NATION, THE PRESIDENT STILL STANDS IN LOCKSTEP WITH THE N.R.A.. In some ways this is a no-brainer. The N.R.A. has dictated gun policy in this country for the past 40 years. The nation is overwhelmingly for the limitation of rapid fire and large clip guns. They are also overwhelmingly in favor of complete background checks and limits on who can and can't own a gun. Legitimate gun owners should be on board with these common sense solutions.

This is an issue for the States, not for the federal government to decide - former Presidents were not in lock step with the NRA, what exactly did they accomplish .. especially regarding rapid fire and large clip guns [whatever they are] .. high capacity magazines are an optional thing, and I do agree that on the street of America, no one needs a 40 round capability.  Yet, when out sniping gophers I do have 2 banana clips taped together which gives me 60 rounds for my 10 - 22... as it is my choice

If one has any training or practice with a semi-auto weapon - one can fire 10 rounds in roughly 3 seconds .. is this a rapid fire gun to which you speak?  (It is actually the shooters finger that creates rapid fire one bullet at a time....)  

What I find interesting is that the TX school shooter did nearly as much damage with a shotgun and a revolver than the high capacity rapid fire weapon caused in Florida .. yet the Santa Fe school shooting does not fit into the narrative of gun control nor the reporting on the survivors that Florida did? (or did they just not have their talking points on gun violence/control ready when the media showed up?)  Is there no common sense solutions unless the shooter has a weapon that looks like what many call 'assault rifles? - try enforcing the laws already on the books - I am thinking that is the common sense way to begin... 

8. FOR THE FIRST TIME, A PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN AWAY SECURITY CLEARANCES ON PRIOR OFFICIALS WHO HAVE BEEN VOCAL CRITICS OF HIS ADMINISTRATION. BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE HAVE CRITICIZED THIS MOVE. This has just become a major issue, but one that reeks of national security risks. One of the reasons that former White House staffers keep their security clearances is that they assist their successors in transition and in times of crisis. This short circuits the smooth oerations and transitions of government.

This is a joke right?  I find it so difficult to believe that this is an issue at all .. especially when it comes to Brennan … but but Trump did it? …… and once again the sky is not falling...

Have a nice day all....