╌>

On The Passing Of A True American Hero

Category:  News & Politics

By:  docphil  •  6 years ago  •  14 comments

On The Passing Of A True American Hero

There will be no recriminations, no negatives about the man himself, no remarks that are meant to be taken in more than one way. There will be only praise for the man. There will be only a sincere sense of loss to the "Lion of the Senate", an epitath  duly laid upon him after the death of the last Lion, Edward Kennedy. There is a long line of political foes who will not have a negative word for John McCain, the man. He was a politician with a strong sense of his political beliefs, most in line with the Republican party, but some opposed to that same party he loved. He was a man who recognized principle and thus was a man who could respect the person who had different political belief.

John McCain was a hero, from his time in the Navy, through his time as a prisoner of war, to his service in the House of Representatives, to his time in the Senate, to his runs for the presidency. He argued issues and stayed above the fray with the mudslinging. He came to the defense of his compatriots or opponents when necessary.

All one has to do is remember that he had the opportunity to be released from a North Vietnamese POW camp and turned it down, because he knew that there were other POWs who were there longer than he was. This was an action that took an inordinate amount of heroism. Then you just have to think back to the campaign against Barack Obama when a woman in the audience began to argue that she couldn't accept Barack Obama as a candidate for President because he was not born in America and was a Muslim. McCain, much to the chagrin of many of those in his own party took the microphone and said calmly but forcibly that President Obama was a good man, a good American, born in America, and not a Muslim, though that shouldn't even be an issue. That was an act of courage for a man in a tight presidential race. But perhaps most of all, Senator McCain will be remembered for his last vote in the senate.....walking up to the podium and giving an exaggerated thumbs down to repealing Obamacare, placing the needs of the nation over the needs of the party.

We, as a nation should all be mourning the loss of a true American hero. We, as a nation should be rejoicing in having had this great man serve in the senate. If only we had a 100 members of the Senate and 435 members of the House serving the country with the same vigor and honesty as John McCain, our country would be on course again.

We should all take off our hats, lower our flags, and bend our knees in a dutiful remembrance of a great American hero. His death should draw 340 million tears with every American realizing what and who we lost, for we will not soon replace him. Rest In Peace, Senator McCain.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
1  author  DocPhil    6 years ago

Whether liberal or conservative, republican or democrat.....I expect due respect for a great man.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  DocPhil @1    6 years ago
Whether liberal or conservative, republican or democrat.....I expect due respect for a great man.

I can't agree more, however, there is one person who seems to be only giving lip service to the Senator, the White House put the flag at half staff for a few minutes and, then raised it back up, it is up at full staff still.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    6 years ago

When Trump dies people will be pissing on his grave. The treatment of the Hollywood star is the forerunner. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.2  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    6 years ago

It was lowered or two days, which is protocol.  Please read the Washington Post, it'll explain how your assumptions are wrong.  Doc Phil,  I see you are tolerating this as long as it falls into your political leanings.  Please be true to your words.

Senator McCain served his country to the best of his abilities and how he thought he should serve.  Nothing more needs to be said.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.2    6 years ago

Protocol has been ignored, whether by proclamation, or tradition for decades.

Here in our little neighborhood hood in DFW, the Park, Library, Police and Fire Departments are all at half mast, as they have been since Friday.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.4  Spikegary  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.3    6 years ago

Which is fine, as it's up to them.  As you know, if you are honest with yourself, the Presdiewnt would be demaned if he did, damned uf he didn't, so he followed protocol, not that it has anything to do with Doc Phil's wishes that this not be politicized.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.5  author  DocPhil  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.2    6 years ago

Whether or not I agreed with Senator McCain on political issues, I always admired the old school way he did business and forged surprising alliances in the senate. He was a man with whom one could disagree without being disagreeable. He respected his colleagues and his colleagues respected him. He also understood that the most effective politics was the politics of compromise. No matter what one's political persuasion may be, the man was deserving of respect in life and certainly deserving of respect in death. That is being true to one's beliefs.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.6  Skrekk  replied to  DocPhil @1.1.5    6 years ago

Same here.   Feingold's tribute to McCain in the NY Times made the same points while also humanizing him a bit.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.3    6 years ago

IMG_2768.JPG

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Agreed.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Senator McCain was a statesman and I mourn his passing.

RIP, Sir. You will be missed

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Meh. I almost always disagreed with him, and thought he always did what was politically expedient, but I do respect him for the torture bit. Torture is some rough shit. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1  Skrekk  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    6 years ago

I have a similar reaction but I think he was one of the few conservatives still willing to work across the aisle.   On the torture issue you might find this interesting and a bit disappointing as his principled opposition to Bush's torture program ultimately became silent acquiescence.....and he authored the law which gave blanket amnesty to all the torturers and torture conspirators: