╌>

Family Photo Essay

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  galen-marvin-ross  •  6 years ago  •  69 comments

Family Photo Essay
So, my brother likes to find these photos and, pictures of family past and, present

Betsy Patterson Bonaparte moms side.jpg

Betsy Patterson Bonaparte, yes, that Bonaparte, she married his brother.

great great grandfather ross.jpg

My Great, Great grandfather Ross

great grandfather silas ross.jpg

My Great Grandfather Ross

great great grandmother ross.jpg

Great, great grandmother Ross

grandma and grandpa ross.jpg

Grand ma and, grandpa Ross

18118983_205254046646480_7060029139676233203_n.jpg

Dad and, Mom

my siblings.jpg

Me and my siblings and brother-law "Tucker"

11215830_1023339184440458_4559471058988263293_n.jpg the whole Fam Damnly

frank and marc.jpg

My nephew Marc and, my brother (he who collects pictures) Frank, Franks the short guy.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1  author  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Okayyyy, so, none of the pictures lined up with the tags for them, any questions ask. Post your family pictures as well if you want.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1    6 years ago

Great stuff Galen.

Thank you.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.1    6 years ago

You're welcome. Like I said, if you have some old pictures of family post them, I'd love to see them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.1    6 years ago

Is the short guy you?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.3  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.2    6 years ago
Is the short guy you?

At the beach with the crewcut? Yes. That was at Crandon Park in Miami.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.2  TTGA  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1    6 years ago

Galen,

I can see where the problem you're having lining up pictures and comments is coming from.  When you go into the Embed Local Media screen and from there into the Upload an Image screen, you will have three drop down boxes at the top.  The one on the left allows you to change the size of the image.  The one in the center, labeled Position, is set as a default setting at Float Left.  It should be changed to Normal.  If you do that, setting the labels becomes much easier.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2.1  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  TTGA @1.2    6 years ago

thumbs up I bow to you

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Great photos Galen...

So that Bonaparte...Classic.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.2  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

Mom said she was a first cousin to my great, great grandmother on her side of the family, the Groome's,

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Very, very cool!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    6 years ago

This is a good topic Galen.

Unfortunately I do not have many digital pictures of my folks.

I have an old one of my Mom as a pre teen with some friends in the early 40s. She is being her usual contrarian self for the picture.

<<<<<<Well, I do not know what is going on. I have fiddled around for the past half hour to do a jpg upload and no go. Never had a problem before but there is a problem now. It loads to 97% complete and then FILE NOT FOUND...even though 97% of it loaded. Have to reach out to the tech folks at this point. I have a couple good photos.>>>>>>

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

I look forward to seeing them. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1    6 years ago

Thank you.

The look on her face in the photo in question is the same look she gave me one time when helping her prepare for a basic chemistry exam.

She had all the covalent bond bs down Then she asked about electrons. How do they jump around? I told her "they are free, they are all  over the place." She gave me that look.

To be honest, I felt a little offended. So I then said "do you now how you tae a balloon and rub against your head then it will stick to the wall"? "That's because some electrons just jumped around which created an opposite imbalance relative to the wall".

Got the same look, maybe a little more intense.

Then I said something like "add an electron to one end of a wire, at the opposite end of the wire another electron will jump off. That is how electricity travels through wires".

LMAO.

The look got very intense. LOL. You could see the "is this my child?" look on her face. She just walked away at that point.

The next day when I got home, Mom came to me and apologized. In the last classroom review she asked the same questions of the prof. He gave her pretty much the exact same answers.

She paid better attention to me after that.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.2  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.1    6 years ago
The next day when I got home, Mom came to me and apologized. In the last classroom review she asked the same questions of the prof. He gave her pretty much the exact same answers. She paid better attention to me after that.

LOL, I know the feeling, my mother and, father were accountants and, my mother was also a substitute English and, French teacher, I got the same kind of look with my math and, English homework all the time, from both of them.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.2    6 years ago

LOL, it is so funny when you think about it.

Let's see if this rascally Russian shows up now. There she is in the center.

Mom and Friends NYC.jpg

Speaking of 40s, here is Julia as my 1940s nurse.

special 3.jpg

Soon to follow, photos on my Dad 10 years ago at the age of 80 trimming a tree so he can mount his SW radio antenna.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.3    6 years ago

So I am guessing that you are part Russian. So am I. Your wife is beautiful. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.5  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.3    6 years ago

You have a wonderful family, the picture of your Mom should be treasured and, as far as a "nurse" goes, you are really lucky.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.6  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.4    6 years ago

Ruh ro, you are another one of those trouble makers...Lol

My Grandfather on my Mothers side  was Russian and Grandmother was mostly Russian with some Austrian mixed in.

My Grandfather on my Fathers side was Cherokee and Grandmother Algonquin, Swedish, Irish and English. I think that is the order. Still trying to sort out my Grandmothers side.

Thank you about Julia. A quirk of fate brought us together.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.7  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.6    6 years ago
My Grandfather on my Fathers side was Cherokee and Grandmother Algonquin, Swedish, Irish and English. I think that is the order. Still trying to sort out my Grandmothers side.

Don't worry about it, in my family tree my mother said we were "Heinz 57's" we have everything in us.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.8  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.5    6 years ago
You have a wonderful family, the picture of your Mom should be treasured and, as far as a "nurse" goes, you are really lucky.

Thank you.

That was a photo of my Mom and her friends. She was always proud of the picture for some reason. I can say from her expression someone is about to get the serious end of business. LOL.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.7    6 years ago

No worries.

Thank you Galen.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.10  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.8    6 years ago
I can say from her expression someone is about to get the serious end of business.

Every Mom has that look, I think they start developing it when they're young and, looking in a mirror, just for that day when they have to give it to their children, anyone else who gets it really gets it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.11  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.10    6 years ago
I think they start developing it when they're young and, looking in a mirror, just for that day when they have to give it to their children, anyone else who gets it really gets it.

LOL, You might be on to something there.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.12  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.10    6 years ago

Here is Dad. The last tree he climbed before hanging up his ropes at the age of 80. He was offered the same country music traveling contracts as Jimmy Dean and Roy Clark, but declined on the life style. Besides, he liked climbing trees.

He was called Bull and that had nothing to do with spinning yarns.

He trims a tree for the last time and installs a SW radio antenna. He had some big ass unit he got from a 60s Navy Destroyer that used a ton of energy.

Maybe he used it once or twice. He prefers his 1 watt Morse code transmitter and receiver. All by hand, not a computer aided set up. He knows how to catch skips to reach anywhere on the planet.

We learned how to make stone arrow heads and wooden long bows together while learning of our history.

European colouring and Native bone structure.

So here, up in the tree on a cold winter day and time to assess:

Dad good day to trim a tree.jpg

Dad making assessments in tree at 80.jpg

This gives a little more perspective for height.

Dad perspective in tree.jpg

Let's get some of these branches out of the way.

Dad lowering branch at 80.jpg

COFFEE BREAK!!!!!!

Dad on coffee break in tree at 80.jpg

I need to digitize more photos of my Mom to see her as usual self. She was a regular Mary Tyler Moore in her '60s capri slacks.

Very rarely did she have that "evil eye" look from earlier, but when it happened, time to just say yes and go the other way. LOL.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.13  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.5    6 years ago
as far as a "nurse" goes, you are really lucky.

LOL, don't get on her bad side. She just might put someone in the need of a nurse.

Alright you Ruskies And Stay Out.jpg

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.14  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.12    6 years ago

It's good to see him still kickin' around like that.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.15  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.13    6 years ago

LOL, looks like some of the guns my Dad played with in WWII, he was part of an 82nd Airborne anti-tank unit.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.16  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.15    6 years ago

That's actually live in some Russian speaking cities poised against the Russian backed territories in Ukraine.

They have shoulder mounted arms too. The cases in the background contain live ordnance. There is more modern equipment outside of camera range.

Alright you Ruskies Get Outta Hear.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.17  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.14    6 years ago

Thank you Galen.

He was recently diagnosed with something pretty serious.

Waiting on more diagnostics.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.18  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.16    6 years ago

P.S. Check out her forearms.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.19  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.17    6 years ago
He was recently diagnosed with something pretty serious. Waiting on more diagnostics.

I'm hoping all goes well with that.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.20  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.18    6 years ago
P.S. Check out her forearms.

I'm missing it.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    6 years ago

You have a fine looking family and it is good to have a family historian   

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @7    6 years ago

My brother has been at it a long time, he even found the "family graveyard" north of Laurence KS.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
7.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1    6 years ago

Lawrence

I'm sure everyone knows why the mascot for the fine university there is the Jayhawk.  Nearly all of my known maternal ancestors are buried in tiny Ogden, KS about 100 miles west of there.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.2  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.1.1    6 years ago

My Dad was born and, raised in Iola, KS, I was born in Independence, KS just south of there, the whole family came from the eastern area of Kansas from LAWRENCE, (I'll spell it right this time) to Coffeyville.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.3  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.1.1    6 years ago

Jayhawkers were free staters in Kansas, they fought against the pro-slavers before the Civil War and, fought the south in Kansas and, Missouri during the war, my great-grandfather was "conductor" on the underground railroad back then.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.5  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
You know there was no actual railroad right my relatives were actually fleeing slavery back then.

Yeah, I know, when I say a conductor I'm talking about someone who lead the slaves to a place of safety and, then supplied them with forged freedom papers and, enough supplies to start fresh somewhere else.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.7  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago

Hey, I thought you might be but, I love a chance to add a little history every now and, then.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Outstanding subject … rays of sunshine breaking through an otherwise gloomy board.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  A. Macarthur @8    6 years ago

Thank you A Mac, that means a lot to me.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I have to get some of my family pics. I had them till I moved and then I gave them back to my dad.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
9.1  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    6 years ago

I'd love to see them.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Now that the pix and captions are aligned … this great article is even greater!

A feather in the NT "cap"!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.1  author  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  A. Macarthur @10    6 years ago

At least now you can tell who is who and, what is what. winking