╌>

Trump congratulates Pelosi after Democrats take House majority; staff hinted he wouldn't

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  127 comments

Trump congratulates Pelosi after Democrats take House majority; staff hinted he wouldn't
"He acknowledged the Leader's call for bipartisanship in her victory remarks."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON - After denouncing her on the campaign trail for more than a month, President Donald Trump called House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi Tuesday night to congratulate her for her party's having re-taken control of the House.

The call came shortly after Pelosi's remarks, which were broadcast on the main cable networks.

"President Trump called Leader Pelosi at 11:45 p.m. this evening to extend his congratulations on winning a Democratic House Majority," Drew Hamill, a Pelosi spokesman, in a tweet. "He acknowledged the Leader's call for bipartisanship in her victory remarks."

Just a few hours earlier, before control of the House had been decided, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in an interview that it was unlikely Trump would reach out to Pelosi should Democrats go on to win back the majority."Look I'm not sure why you would call Nancy Pelosi considering a lot of members of her own party have said they wouldn't support her," Sanders said. "If Democrats win tonight, I think we need to wait and see who their Speaker is."

Pelosi, a polarizing figure Republicans have run against for several election cycles, is likely to win the speakership again, even though some members and members-elect have said they would not support her.

Trump bashed Pelosi for weeks in an effort to convince voters that her party was tantamount to a "mob" intent on crashing the country's economy and allowing an influx of illegal immigrants. But he has also said he might try to forge deals with the Democrats on some subjects.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

Well, this should be an interesting time in D.C.  I was watching the election results on NBC last night and Tom Brokaw said, well, Nancy Pelosi will be the Speaker again....Chuck Todd disagreed with him aand said there are too many 'new' and younger people who will not be satusfied with the status quo.  He believs that it will be someone else, though he didn't specualte who.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago
Chuck Todd disagreed with him aand said there are too many 'new' and younger people who will not be satusfied with the status quo.  He believs that it will be someone else, though he didn't specualte who.

Later it was revealed that Nancy Pelosi said recently that she expects to be speaker again but, she won't hold it for long, she plans on leaving the speakership soon after taking it. How soon, I don't know, I'm thinking some time around 2020, in any case we will see what happens.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    6 years ago

As she needs to be elected by her peers, it will be interesting to see how the new folks coming in act-will they fold and become part of the status quo or will they continue to go a spearate path from any party's plan?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    6 years ago

I think the number of folks opposing Pelosi as Speaker is around 70 or so.

Going to be a knockdown drag-out fight for her.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.1    6 years ago
As she needs to be elected by her peers, it will be interesting to see how the new folks coming in act-will they fold and become part of the status quo or will they continue to go a spearate path from any party's plan?

Yes, a lot of them campaigned partially on the idea that they wouldn't support her for speaker, I do feel that she is putting too much confidence in getting the speakership again.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    6 years ago
Going to be a knockdown drag-out fight for her.

I hope so, we need someone in the House who will be willing to work with the other side but, won't be willing to just roll over whenever they say to do so.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.5  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.4    6 years ago

I agree and have the same hopes.  Time to govern,

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago
there are too many 'new' and younger people who will not be satusfied with the status quo

One thing the Republicans ran into over the last few years was the reality that even though they had a majority in the House, they didn't all agree on everything. It starts with the Speaker vote, but it's a problem that will appear on issues big and small, but particularly the big ones.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @1.3    6 years ago
One thing the Republicans ran into over the last few years was the reality that even though they had a majority in the House, they didn't all agree on everything.

That isn't a partisan issue, both sides of the isle deal with it. The issue the GOP had and has is that they refuse to compromise, even with each other. When Dems had the majority, they have been able to reach consensus on legislation, at least within their party. 

It starts with the Speaker vote, but it's a problem that will appear on issues big and small, but particularly the big ones.

We'll see how many in the GOP House become or remain members of the 'Tuesday Group'. They are the ones who the Dems can work with on bi-partisan legislation. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    6 years ago

It was funny watching the MSNBC types last night. They weren't happy campers at all. They were really dissapointed they only got a little snippet of power back.

My State got back to total "Normalcy".  The "Wack" had to much "Wack" and lost, and the "Lazy ass" got thrown OUT ! WooHoo !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2    6 years ago

THE DISSAPOINTMENT OF THE RADICALS ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @2.1    6 years ago

So all of those Democrats are 'RADICALS'. Got ya. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @2.1.1    6 years ago
So all of those Democrats are 'RADICALS'. Got ya.

Whatever floats your boat ! jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Do you refute the "Lefts" own words coming from NATIONAL TV. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  It Is ME @2.1    6 years ago

Wow. He said it was "heartbreaking." Maybe if they stopped building up and supporting unreasonable expectations, they wouldn't be so heartbroken after every election.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.3    6 years ago
He said it was "heartbreaking."

Exactly !

I was just being nice when I said "Disappointing" in my comment.  

They....in the Vid....said the "Blue Wave" Bubble......BURST ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I AGREE !

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.5  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.4    6 years ago

To All:  Please re-read the seed and discuss the seed. There are plenty other places to have these other conversations, if you can't find one, please feel free to publish one.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary @2.1.5    6 years ago

"Pelosi, a polarizing figure Republicans have run against for several election cycles, is likely to win the speakership again, even though some members and members-elect have said they would not support her."

If there are actually 58 to 70 that don't ACTUALLY want her to be "Speaker", which would make a vote "For" not viable for her, but she becomes "Speaker" anyway, that tells me those 58 to 70 were just speechifying to get elected. Sellouts to their own words.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  arkpdx  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.6    6 years ago
Pelosi, a polarizing figure Republicans have run against for several election cycles, is likely to win the speakership again,

What is it that they say about people that continually do the same thing over and over again and expect different results .Pelosi screwed up last time and cost them the House. There is no reason to think this will be any different. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.7    6 years ago

She's on the TV NOW.....squawking about "Health Care" again, as to why the Democrats won where they did. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Gee....I wonder what Democrats in the house will be pushing for ? hmmmmmm…………..

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1.9  PJ  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.3    6 years ago

The Democrats needed to win the Governorships more than seats in Congress.  The way to undo the republican gerrymandering is at the State level.  Until this happens the Democrats are going to have many heartbreaks.  

First course of action - even out the playing field.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.10  Raven Wing  replied to  PJ @2.1.9    6 years ago

Amen! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @2.1.9    6 years ago

I believe the Democrats only flipped about 6state legislatures, And now, they will have to defend those seats in 2020 while still under the old 2010 maps.

Not sure if the "Hate Trump" bandwagon will be able to last that long.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1.14  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    6 years ago
Not sure if the "Hate Trump" bandwagon will be able to last that long.

I'm pretty confident there will be no problem keeping the "Hate" going.  It's reinforced by the man himself every single day, multiple times throughout the day.

Speaking for myself.  I will never surrender my principles and accept the actions and vile vulgar behavior of this man.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.15  Dulay  replied to  PJ @2.1.9    6 years ago
The Democrats needed to win the Governorships more than seats in Congress. The way to undo the republican gerrymandering is at the State level.

Except legislatures do redistricting, NOT Governors. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1.16  PJ  replied to  Dulay @2.1.15    6 years ago

They have an important role but yes, I stand corrected.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @2    6 years ago
It was funny watching the MSNBC types last night. They weren't happy campers at all. They were really dissapointed they only got a little snippet of power back.

They got exactly what most news agencies, including MSNBC, forecast that they'd get.  If in your mind that qualifies as "disappointed", well whatever...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    6 years ago
If in your mind that qualifies as "disappointed"

It didn't come from me !

Watch youtube vid in comment #2.1. The "Left" are the ones saying it ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

I watched a few different news outlets last night.

You ?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @2.2.1    6 years ago
Watch youtube vid in comment #2.1. The "Left" are the ones saying it !

Ahh, so you are saying that someone else is saying that Democrats are "disappointed" that they did not go beyond expectations.  I can understand that, makes perfect sense.  

Under that logic we can also say that the Republicans are "disappointed" that they did not retain control of the House, and Trump is "disappointed" that he no longer has a rubber stamp Congress.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.2    6 years ago

Ahh....again.....I'm NOT saying it. Your folks are.

Watch the vid this time. jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

"and Trump is "disappointed" that he no longer has a rubber stamp Congress."

"Veto" comes to mind. Wouldn't that be fun ?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @2.2.3    6 years ago
Ahh....again.....I'm NOT saying it. Your folks are.

No, you said that they said.  Read my comment again.  I am addressing this to YOU since YOU made the comment about what others are saying.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.4    6 years ago
No, you said that they said.

And Comment #2.1 Proves it. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2.6  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.2    6 years ago
and Trump is "disappointed" that he no longer has a rubber stamp Congress.

Wow I didn't know he did, Seems to me the last person to have a rubber stamp in congress wasted it passing a piece of shit law called ACA.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.7  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    6 years ago
They got exactly what most news agencies, including MSNBC, forecast that they'd get.

They (specifically MSNBC) have been talking about "blue wave" from the beginning of the year, 

Charlie Cook: It's Clear That A Blue Wave Is Coming

MSNBC PUNDIT PREDICTS A ‘STRONGER’ BLUE WAVE

Jason Johnson: Roseanne Firing Is Realization That A Blue Wave Is Coming

New Signs of a #BlueWave in Wisconsin

to two days ago. Even as late as November 5, these are their own headlines pushing the "blue wave" hype:

What will it take for Dems to pull off a ‘blue wave’ tomorrow?

A District in Virginia Could Be Early Blue Wave Indicator

Were there people also coming on MSNBC and saying the blue wave might not be so amazing? Sure. But the idea that MSNBC wasn't forecasting a blue wave isn't quite accurate.

And of course it wasn't just MSNBC

Knock, Knock... It's the Blue Wave

North Carolina suburban women rally for blue wave in red district

Democrats look for blue wave among millennial voters

Democrats say blue wave will flood Congress after midterm elections

Just how big is the Democratic wave going to be this fall?

The real question you should be asking yourself is how large will this wave be? Will it be small (15-20-seat Democratic pickup), medium (25-35-seat pickup) or large (35-plus-seat pickup)? (Reminder: Democrats need to net 23 seats to retake the House majority.)
Judging by what happened in an Arizona special election on Tuesday night, the "large" wave option now looks to be very much in play.
"If the only data point you had to go on was last night's #AZ08 result, you'd think a 30-40 seat Dem House gain in Nov. would be way low, " tweeted David Wasserman , the House editor of the non-partisan Cook Political Report .
Hype like this is why Van Jones is "heartbroken."

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Ozzwald  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.6    6 years ago
Wow I didn't know he did, Seems to me the last person to have a rubber stamp in congress wasted it passing a piece of shit law called ACA.

The PPACA is far more popular now that Congress has tried to eliminate it, than it was when it passed.  People were fine with the lying Republicans voting 50+ times to eliminate when they knew Obama would just veto it, but as soon as Trump became POTUS Republicans got very very afraid of the fallout if they truly did repeal (not replace) the PPACA.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.8    6 years ago

Who knew health care would be so hard?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.10  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.9    6 years ago

Who knew health care would be so hard?

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
3  Dulay    6 years ago

Then this morning Trump tweeted:

If the Democrats think they are going to waste Taxpayer Money investigating us at the House level, then we will likewise be forced to consider investigating them for all of the leaks of Classified Information, and much else, at the Senate level. Two can play that game!

One irony is that it's been TWO 'playing that game' for the last 2 years but it was the GOP House and the GOP Senate. 

Another is that Trump alleges that the GOP is all about 'law and order' so WTF has stopped the Mitch McConnell and the GOP Committee Chairs from investigating those leaks up until now? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Dulay @3    6 years ago
Another is that Trump alleges that the GOP is all about 'law and order' so WTF has stopped the Mitch McConnell and the GOP Committee Chairs from investigating those leaks up until now?

It has already been shown that most of those leaks came directly from the Whitehouse.  Trump won't allow anyone to investigate the leaks.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1    6 years ago

Of course the majority of the leaks are from the White Trash House?  Where else?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    6 years ago

Of course the majority of the leaks are from the White Trash House?  Where else?

No idea, but he can't kick off an investigation of leaks and say, only investigate these leaks.

PJ
Masters Quiet
6  PJ    6 years ago

This was a strategic move by Mr. Trump.  Anyone who gives him credit for reaching out an olive branch in the form of a congratulations is nothing more than a fool.  He knows Pelosi is toxic.  If she were smart, she would take herself out of the running for Speaker.  She can be just as effective behind the scenes.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @6    6 years ago

I really hope Pelosi can pull it off again. She was wildly successful at getting Republicans elected before.

Maybe Democrats can even bring Debbie Wasserman-Schultz back as DNC Chair now?

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.1.1  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    6 years ago

Anythings possible.   Some people are not able to step out of the spotlight.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2  Dulay  replied to  PJ @6    6 years ago
He knows Pelosi is toxic.

What brings you to that conclusion? Based on her RECORD, she is the most successful Speaker in modern history. She knows how to build consensus in her caucus and unlike Ryan, she knows how to COUNT VOTES.  

If she were smart, she would take herself out of the running for Speaker. She can be just as effective behind the scenes.

Why the hell would the Democrats take out their best General? 

Seriously, fuck what the neo-nationalists think or say about Pelosi, in the real world the reason that they hate her is that she gets shit done. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.2.1  PJ  replied to  Dulay @6.2    6 years ago
What brings you to that conclusion? Based on her RECORD, she is the most successful Speaker in modern history. She knows how to build consensus in her caucus and unlike Ryan, she knows how to COUNT VOTES.  

The republican's have been very successful framing her exactly as I stated.  It's the lie that's been told over and over until people accept it as truth.  Yes, she's been successful but what will prevent her from being successful out of the spotlight?  Sometimes you have to be strategic and do things a little different in order to win the game.  

Why the hell would the Democrats take out their best General?  Seriously, fuck what the neo-nationalists think or say about Pelosi, in the real world the reason that they hate her is that she gets shit done. 

Do you want to be right or do you want to be dead right?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @6.2    6 years ago
Based on her RECORD, she is the most successful Speaker in modern history

Ha! I didn't know creating record deficits makes one a success. I hope you get paid to offer opinions like that, even anonymously.

She knows how to build consensus in her caucus

Yeah, by getting all the representatives from swing districts ejected from Congress so only hard core fanatics were left in her caucus.

She such a consensus builder, that  dozens of Democrats have come to a consensus to not vote for her as speaker.  

It's amusing. So many new Democrats first act in Congress will be to prove themselves liars and vote for Pelosi after promising their district they wouldn't. 

rld the reason that they hate her is that she gets shit done

The only thing she's gotten done as Speaker is get Republicans elected and run up massive budget deficits. Besides the upsets in Ohio and Florida, she's the best thing that happened for Trump's reelection chances yesterday.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Dulay  replied to  PJ @6.2.1    6 years ago
Yes, she's been successful but what will prevent her from being successful out of the spotlight? 

WHY should she crawl into the shadows? She is a powerful leader who has PROVEN her competence and her leadership is a valuable asset to the Dems.  

Sometimes you have to be strategic and do things a little different in order to win the game.  

Pelosi has won the game by being a out front leader. Her strategy brought us one of the most successful legislative session on record. That is an undeniable FACT. 

Do you want to be right or do you want to be dead right?

Do you want to post snark or have a cogent discussion? 

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.2.4  PJ  replied to  Dulay @6.2.3    6 years ago

I told you the reason why, imo.  That's all I can offer.

This is our reality right now.  Whether it's true or not doesn't matter.  The republicans have been successful in creating an alternative reality and the public has bought into it.  It's not just republican voters but also democratic voters that have swallowed it.

I wasn't try to be snarky.  I'm speaking truth to the current reality.  We can be right and strategic or we can be right and lose.

Feel free to ignore me if you don't think I'm taking the issue seriously.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.5  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.2    6 years ago
Ha! I didn't know creating record deficits makes one a success.

I didn't know that Pelosi was responsible for the Great Recession. 

I hope you get paid to offer opinions like that, even anonymously.

Pfffft. 

Yeah, by getting all the representatives from swing districts ejected from Congress so only hard core fanatics were left in her caucus.

Wow, Pelosi is more powerful than I thought. /s

She such a consensus builder, that  dozens of Democrats have come to a consensus to not vote for her as speaker.   It's amusing. So many new Democrats first act in Congress will be to prove themselves liars and vote for Pelosi after promising their district they wouldn't. 

So you're cheering that Democrats won't vote for her and then decrying the fact that Democrats will be voting for her. 

Again, pfffft. 

The only thing she's gotten done as Speaker is get Republicans elected and run up massive budget deficits.

The legislative record refutes your comment. 

Besides the upsets in Ohio and Florida, she's the best thing that happened for Trump's reelection chances yesterday.

So you think that Trump will run against Pelosi? Interesting...

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.6  Dulay  replied to  PJ @6.2.4    6 years ago
It's not just republican voters but also democratic voters that have swallowed it.

Rather than allowing misinformation to set the agenda, I would much prefer to EDUCATE the electorate. I know that it's more time consuming but it would pay future dividends. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.2.7  PJ  replied to  Dulay @6.2.6    6 years ago

Okay

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    6 years ago

Trump congratulated Pelosi.

That's real nice.

Sounds like at least he accepted the results of an election.

Wonder if Dems will ever learn to?

PJ
Masters Quiet
8.1  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @8    6 years ago

No, it’s a ploy. Trump cannot be trusted to do the right and civil thing. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @8.1    6 years ago

Let me know when Trump holds a Scream at the Sky Day and declares "Not my House", mmmkay?

PJ
Masters Quiet
8.1.2  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.1    6 years ago

Huh?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @8.1.2    6 years ago

Something I can explain?

PJ
Masters Quiet
8.1.4  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.3    6 years ago

yes, preferably in english.  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @8.1.4    6 years ago

let me know precisely what you need explained and I will try my best to accommodate you.

jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

PJ
Masters Quiet
8.1.6  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.5    6 years ago

scream at the sky?  not sure what that means.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @8.1.6    6 years ago

"Scream at the Sky Day"

When all else fails, scream helplessly at the sky about the discourse in Washington and Donald Trump's White House agenda.

Filed Under: Continental Avenue Pedestrian Bridge, Dallas, election, Events, Facebook, Politics, President Donald Trump, Scream At The Sky, Scream Helplessly at the Sky on the Anniversary of the ...

Never heard of it? Really? WOW...……….just WOW.

PJ
Masters Quiet
8.1.8  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.7    6 years ago

Nope this went completely over my head.  Didn't think there was a scream at the sky day but I've participated in a couple solo pity parties.  Hahahahahaha  jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif