╌>

More than 500 priests accused of sexual abuse not yet publicly identified by Catholic church, Illinois attorney general finds

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  epistte  •  6 years ago  •  32 comments

More than 500 priests accused of sexual abuse not yet publicly identified by Catholic church, Illinois attorney general finds
A scathing report from Attorney General Lisa Madigan finds the number of Catholic priests accused of sexual abuse against children in Illinois is much higher than previously admitted.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The report said accusations have been leveled against 690 priests, while Catholic officials have publicly identified only 185 clergy with credible allegations against them>
The determination is part of a preliminary report made public Wednesday by Madigan’s office, which has been investigating Catholic clergy sexual abuse of minors following revelations during the summer of widespread abuse and cover-ups by Catholic officials in Pennsylvania. The report was critical of the six Catholic dioceses that govern parishes across Illinois for their lack of transparency and flawed investigations.
Although the report says that “Clergy sexual abuse of minors in Illinois is significantly more extensive than the Illinois Dioceses previously reported,” it does not estimate how many of the allegations against the 690 clergy should have been deemed credible. Some of the allegations go back decades.

The report says Illinois dioceses “have lost sight of both a key tenet” of policies laid out by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops as well as “the most obvious human need as a result of these abhorrent acts of abuse: the healing and reconciliation of survivors.”
“Long after legal remedies have expired, the Catholic Church has the ability and moral responsibility to survivors to offer support and services, and to take swift action to remove abusive clergy,” the report states.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

epistte
Junior Guide
1  seeder  epistte    6 years ago

How many more times will this be news before the Catholic Church is prosecuted as a criminal organization under the RICO statute?  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @1    6 years ago

Probably as many times as it takes for child sex abuse scandals to actually clear out the pews and confessionals.  Unfortunately, churches seem to be given a pass by too many people.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.1  seeder  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    6 years ago

Apparently, the sexual abuse of children is condoned by the Christian god who is both omnipotent and omniscient, so he knows that t it is happening and could end it if he so chooses to do so.  I may be strange but why would any rational person choose to worship a deity who supports child abuse? This deity seems far closer to Charles Manson than Gandhi.  

I recently rediscovered this quote, 

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Marcus Aurelius

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.3  seeder  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
You like quoting Jesus when it suits your purpose, why not quote this verse?

Matthew 18:6

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Maybe you should remind ministers and priests of that idea. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.5  seeder  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
You're using evasion to dodge my question as you always do when you don't have an answer.

What answer do you want? I said that you should remind the minsters and priests of what Jesus said. I am well aware of that passage but it doesn't seem to be well known among the clergy. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.7  charger 383  replied to  epistte @1.1.1    6 years ago

that quote is very good

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.8  seeder  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
You like quoting Jesus when it suits your purpose, why not quote this verse? That's the question I want you to answer, but I know you'll dodge it.

Matthew 18:6

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Why are those priests still alive if their omniscient and omnipotent god has the power and the will to drown people who harm children?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  epistte @1.1.8    6 years ago
Why are those priests still alive

Because that supposed God who will wreak revenge on those sinning in his name doesn't exist...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @1.1.1    6 years ago

Good quote. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.11  seeder  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.10    6 years ago
Good quote.

Thank you.

I had read it back in college but I forgot about it until a few days ago.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.12  seeder  epistte  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.9    6 years ago
Because that supposed God who will wreak revenge on those sinning in his name doesn't exist...

Their supposed god has raised gaslighting to an art form. He is an omniscient and omnipotent deity who created imperfect beings and then punishes them for being imperfect. Why would anyone desire to worship someone who does that?  

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.14  seeder  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
Again you refused to answer my question, obviously, you can't come up with a reasonable answer.

What question do you believe I am not answering?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to    6 years ago

Where did epi quote Jesus?

Her quote is from Marcus Aurelius, a Roman statesman

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.17  seeder  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
You damn well what the question was I asked you. I accept the fact you won't answer it because you know it would make you look foolish.

I have responded to you twice and I agreed with you. What more do you want me to say? This is bordering on trolling IMO. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.19  seeder  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
If you had read my question to Epistte you would know what my question to her was, it didn't have anything to do with Marcus Aurelius

I have responded to that question multiple times and I have agreed with you. What more do you expect me to do?  If you send me your address I could possibly send you a fruitcake, but that could be seen as a threat. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.22  seeder  epistte  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.1.21    6 years ago

I'll send you a Christmas card or a fruitcake. I found a great deal on Hallmark cards a few hours ago, so I stocked up for next year.   I just need stamps but the local post office is closed on Saturday. I need a Canukian stamp for a friend who lives in the Great White North. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  epistte @1    6 years ago
How many more times will this be news before the Catholic Church is prosecuted as a criminal organization under the RICO statute?

Remember, the Catholic Church has paid out over $7 billion to the victims of their priests. $7 billion tax free dollars they collected from their parishioners. They use our roads and utilities and social services in the community but don't have to pitch in due to their tax exempt status. They're supposed to use the money donated to care for the communities, right? To further their Gods work, right? Does that really include using tax free money to pay victims of sexual abuse to stay silent? Virtually every one of those pay-offs included the recipients signing a non-disclosure agreement with the Church, an agreement not to further discuss the case in public. That's why this has been going on (the pay-offs and scandal) since the 1980's but nothing has actually changed. Catholic members have donated enough to keep most of the victims silent. The Church continues to protect their own and pay off the accusers with the tax free donations that their enablers continue to give them so they can keep the cycle of abuse going.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2  lennylynx    6 years ago

The acknowledgement of child rape is a recent development in human history.  I'm only in my fifties, and even when I was a kid, children were basically property.  And no child would ever dare accuse any adult of wrongdoing of any kind.  This is why all this tragic behavior by the CC is finally coming out, society is changing the way we react to rape allegations.

Just imagine what the CC has been getting away with for centuries.  How many children have been beaten by their parents for daring to tell the truth about what Catholic priests did to them?  How many 'village idiots' of the old days were actually people who were driven insane by priests raping them repeatedly and no one believing them?  What kind of people are going to be attracted to the priesthood when celibacy is a requirement?  This isn't hard to figure out.  The Catholic Church has been raping children with impunity for centuries.  It is the most evil, corrupt organization mankind has ever created, bar none.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago

the "catholic church" is about as evil as they come.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1  SteevieGee  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @3    6 years ago

Of course I would notice.  It would get a lot nicer.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

This is just my own opinion, and is entirely based on anecdotal evidence, including some I interacted with in my own prior Pentecostal faith, but I believe much of the abuse has been caused by two primary reactions those of the Christian faith have when faced with effeminate boys/men growing up in Christian households. First, those born gay into Christian families are berated and punished from a very early age for exhibiting any effeminate traits. They're often teased and abused by their peers, and sometimes, sadly, even their parents. This teaches them that a boy acting like a girl is a sin, it's detestable to their God, it's EVIL and what Satan wants of them. This leads to the second reaction from their parents who realize they're not interested in girls so some have decided they were "meant for God" so they push their gay children into hating themselves, denying their desires, suppressing all sexual feelings and telling them they need to study God because they're meant to be "Priests". Sadly, this often freezes a persons sexuality at the age they're told their deepest desires have booked them a one way trip to eternal torment and hellfire. When going through puberty they were told any images of the wrong sex were taboo, proof they were Satan's minions, and with the threat of eternal torment, many tried as hard as they could to overcome such feelings.

This happened a lot over the last few decades, and it's what created these Priests who gave gay persons a bad name, because of their stunted sexual growth they abused their positions and preyed on the young at about the same age they were likely questioning their own sexuality. It's a cycle of abuse which needs to be stopped by any means.