╌>

Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver dies of COVID-19, dementia at 75

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Dennis Romero

Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver dies of COVID-19, dementia at 75
Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver died at age 75 of complications from COVID-19 and dementia, the organization said Wednesday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver has died of complications of Lewy body dementia and COVID-19, the National Baseball Hall of Fame said in a statement Wednesday. He was 75.

He died peacefully in his sleep Monday, the organization said.

"We are heartbroken to share that our beloved husband and father has passed away," said a family statement from Seaver's wife, Nancy, and daughters, Sarah and Anne. "We send our love out to his fans, as we mourn his loss with you."

Seaver played 12 seasons with the Mets, winning the National League Cy Young Award, honoring the league's best pitcher, three times.

After having been a league-wide joke for the franchise's hapless play since their inaugural season in 1962, the team, which was dubbed the Miracle Mets, was able to overcome years of failure and win the 1969 World Series as Seaver won his first Cy Young Award.

He's credited with 311 wins, 3,640 strikeouts and a 2.86 earned-run average during a career that started in 1967 and ended in 1986.

"Tom Seaver's life exemplified greatness in the game, as well as integrity, character, and sportsmanship — the ideals of a Hall of Fame career," Hall of Fame Chairman Jane Forbes Clark said. "As a longtime member of the Hall of Fame Board of Directors, Tom brought dignity and wisdom to this institution that will be deeply missed."

Seaver also played parts of six seasons with the Cincinnati Reds, parts of three with the Chicago White Sox and one with the Boston Red Sox.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Meet The Mets
Meet The Mets
Step right up and Greet The Mets
Bring your kiddies,
Bring your wife,
Guarenteed to have the time of your life
Because the Mets are really socking the ball
Knocking those home runs over the wall
East Side
West Side
Everybody's going down
To Meet the M-E-T-S Mets,
Of New York Town
Solo!
Meet the Mets!
Meet the Mets...
Step right up and Greet the Mets!
Bring your kiddies,
Bring your wife,
Guarenteed to have the time of your life!
Because the Mets are really socking the ball!
Knocking those home runs over the wall.
East Side,
West Side,
Everybody's going down
To meet the M-E-T-S Mets
Of New York Town...

My whole childhood attached to memories of this man. You will be missed Tom. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

I remember Tom Seaver. I was just out of high school in greater Cincinnati when he was with the Red's. He was amazing.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago

As a Cubs fan, we had our fill of Tom Seaver over those years he was with the Mets. He's a top ten all time starting pitcher, and there have been many great starting pitchers in baseball history. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

for perrie and tom seaver

Meet The Mets 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago

He was one of the best pitchers of all time. 

RIP Tom.

If I remember correctly the 69 Mets only had one 300 hitter. Cleon Jones.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @4    4 years ago

They were not an offensive juggernaut. They won with pitching and defense. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

What am outstanding pitcher, the master of the drop and drive motion.  You don’t really see  his style of pitching Anymore, which is a shame. He was an artist.  
RIP

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

So many well know people are falling victim to this.  My husband although a die hard Dodgers fan loved this man.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

I was eight when my best friends father bought tickets and took us to Shea in 1969.  Yep.... it was against the Cubs.  

I was too young to understand the mechanics of pitching, but Seaver was on the mound that day, and the only other name I remember was Cleon Jones.  Later that summer we moved to Kansas, and everyone there was rooting for the Orioles with me being the only Mets fan.   That made making new friends a challenge.  

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
8  MonsterMash    4 years ago

Tom Terrific made being a Mets fan cool.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

I'll never forget a game I bet quite a sum on. He was pitching for those weak hitting Mets. I had named him and I sweat out his masterpiece of a 1-0 victory!

I'll always remember that game.