╌>

Trump Tweets Four-Year-Old Alec MacGillis Photo, Gets Caught

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Sarah Rumpf (Mediaite)

Trump Tweets Four-Year-Old Alec MacGillis Photo, Gets Caught
President Donald Trump tweeted a photo of a lawn full of Trump yard signs, but it was from 2016, and the original photographer quickly called him out.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Sarah RumpfSep 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm Screen-Shot-2020-09-12-at-8.26.31-PM.png

Screenshot via Twitter.

As he prepared for a campaign rally in Nevada, President Donald Trump tweeted several photos showing homes and vehicles decorated with his name and logo by his supporters — but one photo was from 2016, and the original photographer quickly called him out for the apparent deception.

Trump's tweet Saturday evening showed a home with dozens of Trump yard signs in rows covering the entire lawn. "WOW — THANK YOU! #MAGA," tweeted Trump.

WOW — THANK YOU! #MAGApic.twitter.com/sj87HGIX00
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 12, 2020

ProPublica's Alec MacGillis tweeted an hour later that the photo was "from four years ago" — a date he knew because he was the original photographer. "Where's my credit??" he tweeted.

1) This picture is from four years ago. 2) I took the photo. Where's my credit?? https://t.co/LZLkV4d5F9
— Alec MacGillis (@AlecMacGillis) September 13, 2020

MacGillis soon followed up with a tweet he had posted with the photo in March 2016, and then a link to the ProPublica article where the photo was published with his byline.

Here it is: March 2016. Nice try, @realDonaldTrump.https://t.co/rTkMyv4L0K

And here's the November 2016 article the photo was first published with: https://t.co/poVk32waVq

From the article:

In March, I was driving along a road that led from Dayton, Ohio, into its formerly middle-class, now decidedly working-class southwestern suburbs, when I came upon an arresting sight. I was looking for a professional sign-maker who had turned his West Carrollton ranch house into a distribution point for Trump yard signs, in high demand just days prior to the Ohio Republican primary. Instead of piling the signs in the driveway, he had arrayed them in his yard along the road. There they were, dozens and dozens of them, lined up in rows like the uniform gravestones in a military cemetery.

MacGillis goes on to describe a conversation with a woman who was helping distribute the signs who was 43 years old but voted for the first time in her life for Trump in 2016, making her one of many unlikely and infrequent voters that are viewed as critically important to Trump's electoral victory that year.

Mediaite reached out to MacGillis for comment but did not receive a reply.

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]

Filed Under:

2016 election2020 electionAlec MacGillisDonald TrumpMAGAProPublica Previous PostNext Post Previous PostNext Post

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I still say they look like headstones in a cemetary. 

Screen-Shot-2020-09-12-at-8.26.31-PM.png

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Trump is so clueless that it is pitiful.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Those really do look like headstones.  We just need to add about 200,000 more to make it more accurate.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  pat wilson    4 years ago
WOW — THANK YOU! #MAGApic .twitter.com/sj87HGIX00
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 12, 2020

ProPublica's Alec MacGillis tweeted an hour later that the photo was "from four years ago" — a date he knew because he was the original photographer. "Where's my credit??" he tweeted.

SMH

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

Gee...

Trump doesn't seem to care about accuracy.

Gosh.

Hooda thunk it?