╌>

Utah monolith: Helicopter crew discovers mysterious metal monolith deep in the desert

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  4 years ago  •  34 comments

By:   Leah Asmelash (CNN)

Utah monolith: Helicopter crew discovers mysterious metal monolith deep in the desert
What started as routine wildlife assistance took an unusual turn after a helicopter crew stumbled upon a mysterious monolith in the middle of rural Utah.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

What started as routine wildlife assistance took an extraterrestrial turn for Utah's Department of Public Safety after officers stumbled upon a mysterious monolith in the middle of rural Utah. Officers from the Utah Department of Public Safety's Aero Bureau were flying by helicopter last Wednesday, helping the Division of Wildlife Resources count bighorn sheep in southeastern Utah, when they spotted something that seemed right out of "2001: A Space Odyssey." "One of the biologists ... spotted it, and we just happened to fly directly over the top of it," pilot Bret Hutchings told CNN affiliate KSL. "He was like, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, turn around, turn around!' And I was like, 'What.' And he's like, 'There's this thing back there -- we've got to go look at it!'"

Pilot Bret Hutchings believes the object was most likely created by an artist. Credit: Utah Department of Public Safety And there it was -- in the middle of the red rock was a shiny, silver metal monolith sticking out of the ground. Hutchings guessed it was "between 10 and 12 feet high." It didn't look like it was randomly dropped to the ground, he told KSL, but rather it looked like it had been planted. Isamu Noguchi sculpture becomes White House's first artwork by an Asian American "We were kind of joking around that if one of us suddenly disappears, then the rest of us make a run for it," Hutchings said. Still, Hutchings said he thinks it was most likely placed there by an artist rather than an alien. "I'm assuming it's some new wave artist or something or, you know, somebody that was a big ("2001: A Space Odyssey") fan," he said, referencing a scene in the 1968 film where a black monolith appears.

Still, it is illegal to install structures or art without authorization on public lands "no matter what planet you're from," said Utah DPS in a statement released Monday. The location of the monolith is not being disclosed, and it is not yet clear who -- or what -- put the monolith there, DPS said. As of Monday, the Bureau of Land Management will be deciding whether further investigation is needed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

For Sci-Fi buffs.......

Someone has a sense of humor........  Happy Tuesday folks!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    4 years ago
Someone has a sense of humor.

A brilliant one! 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Love this theme....powerful! 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.2  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @3    4 years ago

It is a classic....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Maybe it WAS put there by aliens.  But on the other hand, if the present American government has any say about it, they'll say China put it there and it's some kind of spy device. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

I wonder if they got the dimensions right?  Ratio of 1:4:9

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1    4 years ago

The ratio of 1:4:9, would be the same as the monolith in the movie 2001 and also the squares of the first three integers.  Think of the movie Contact as well, where the aliens broadcast primary numbers, as math is a universal language. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    4 years ago

I think it’s the helicopter pilot that has the odd sense of humor.  What are the odds of anyone stumbling on this by accident?  Seems like an awful lot of work and money spent on the hopes that you might still be alive to get a laugh when someone actually finds your hidden phenomena in the desert.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    4 years ago

all this discovery does is raise a lot more questions in my mind.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @5.1    4 years ago

Watch it be some marketing campaign for some prescription drug you should ask your doctor about.....

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.2  devangelical  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.1    4 years ago

I doubt that. I'm familiar with this part of the country and this place is out in the middle of bfe. I'd be interested in knowing what type of metal and how much it weighs. although it's standing in sandstone, it's installation would be very difficult.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @5.1.2    4 years ago

Good questions

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

I see Hal and Dave involved in this.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @6    4 years ago

Didn't those two write....Hold on, I'm coming, and Soul Man?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1    4 years ago

Sam and Dave

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.2  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @6.1.1    4 years ago

I was close dude!  

Glad to hear from you 1st..... you had me worried my friend.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @6    4 years ago

Dave's not here, man

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    4 years ago

The lost comedy of Cheech and Chong, which replaced Martin and Lewis, only itself to be replaced by Bevis and Butthead...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.2.1    4 years ago

Devolution, man....

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.2.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    4 years ago

Love the Cheech and Chong reference!  I about wore that album out before mom found it and confiscated it from me and my brother.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2.3    4 years ago

Aw, man, that sucks! 

She probably listened to it when you weren't around

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    4 years ago

Dave's not here, man

Quite possibly the funniest line in movie history. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.6  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.2    4 years ago

Hell just listening to one of their records might be enough to make one pop positive on a drug screen.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
6.2.7  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @6.2.5    4 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6.2.8  MrFrost  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @6.2.7    4 years ago

That shit just never gets old.