╌>

John Cleese accused of transphobia after defending J.K. Rowling on Twitter

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  19 comments

By:   Variety

John Cleese accused of transphobia after defending J.K. Rowling on Twitter
"I'm afraid I'm not that interested in trans folks," the "Monty Python" actor wrote in one of his tweets defending the "Harry Potter" author.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"Monty Python" actor John Cleese is being accused of transphobia following a series of tweets in which he defended "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling.

In June, Rowling made headlines for stating that she believes one's biological sex is their "real sex" and criticizing transgender people for "erasing the concept of sex." In September, Cleese signed a letter showing his solidarity with Rowling.

On Sunday morning, a Twitter user asked Cleese about his stance on Rowling's views. Cleese wrote: "I'm afraid I'm not that interested in trans folks. I just hope they're happy and that people treat them kindly. Right now I'm more focussed [sic] on threats to democracy in America, the rampant corruption in the UK, the appalling British press, the revelations about police brutality…"

I'm afraid I'm not that interested in trans folks
I just hope they're happy and that people treat them kindly
Right now I'm more focussed on threats to democracy in America, the rampant corruption in the UK, the appalling British Press, the revelations about police brutality... https://t.co/y6l33FBQNL

— John Cleese (@JohnCleese) November 22, 2020

When another user asked Cleese, "Why the fuck can't you just let people be who they want to be?" he responded with, "Deep down, I want to be a Cambodian police woman. Is that allowed, or am I being unrealistic?"

Deep down, I want to be a Cambodian police woman
Is that allowed, or am I being unrealistic ? https://t.co/oGPwEWJM9a

One user pointed out Cleese's "superficial understanding" of the topic. Cleese replied: "Yes, my understanding is superficial. One thing: When a woman who was once a man is competing against women who have always been women, I think she has an advantage, because she inherited a man's body, which is usually bigger and stronger than a woman's. Does that prove phobia?"

Yes, my understanding is superficial
One thing: When a woman who was once a man is competing against women who have always been women, I think she has an advantage, because she inherited a man's body, which is usually bigger and stronger than a woman's
Does that prove phobia? https://t.co/8x2H9zvstd

A representative for Cleese did not immediately respond to Variety 's request for comment.

Cleese received ample backlash for his tweets, with users calling them transphobic. "Queer Eye" star Jonathan Van Ness pointed out the violence that can result from transphobic behavior: "Dear @JohnCleese you've made several transphobic comments here. You do seem to not only be interested in trans folks, but also adding to transphobia at a time when trans people are being murdered world wide. Trans & non binary people aren't being treated kindly."

Dear @JohnCleese you've made several transphobic comments here. You do seem to not only be interested in trans folks, but also adding to transphobia at a time when trans people are being murdered world wide. Trans & non binary people aren't being treated kindly. https://t.co/7rzztvadoL
— Jonathan Van Ness (@jvn) November 22, 2020

In a later tweet, Van Ness called out both Rowling and Cleese, writing: "Try being a trans, non binary, or gender nonconforming person especially Black & Brown ones, ALONE in a rural town or ANYWHERE in the world. The @jk_rowling & @JohnCleese of the world could never. So cruel to constantly punch down onto a marginalized group of people."

Try being a trans, non binary, or gender non conforming person especially Black & Brown ones, ALONE in a rural town or ANYWHERE in the world. The @jk_rowling & @JohnCleese of the world could never. So cruel to constantly punch down onto a marginalized group of people.
— Jonathan Van Ness (@jvn) November 22, 2020

Former Nine Inch Nails art director Rob Sheridan also reacted to Cleese's tweets. "I saw John Cleese trending and was bummed to find out why (he's on the JK Rowling transphobia train)," Sheridan wrote. "It's wild how often rich white people brains just get absolutely shattered by personal gender issues that have never affected them and likely will never affect them."

I saw John Cleese trending and was bummed to find out why (he's on the JK Rowling transphobia train). It's wild how often rich white people brains just get absolutely shattered by personal gender issues that have never affected them and likely will never affect them.
— Rob Sheridan (@rob_sheridan) November 22, 2020

Variety

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Lack of interest doesn't imply a fear of something.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago
  • Personal gender issues...
  • Republican attacks to the republic and rule of law
  • Covid pandemic response
  • Economy impacted by Covid

Everyone's priorities are going to be shaped from the standpoint of who's ox is being gored.  

AndrewK
Freshman Silent
3  AndrewK    4 years ago
I just hope they're happy and that people treat them kindly.

Seems like a reasonable position to take. And if the woke counter-argument is that they aren't being treated kindly in some places - I think most people would be on board with looking at those particular instances and looking at what we can do to address that. 

Gaslighting the general public to try and pretend real physical genetic differences don't exist between genders is just insulting though, and detracts from what the focus should be - which is we should be treating everyone kindly regardless of how they self identify - how they look - whether they present as traditionally masculine, feminine, or neither - or who they happen to love. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  AndrewK @3    4 years ago

I'm good with that approach...!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  AndrewK @3    4 years ago
Gaslighting the general public

I think those angered at Cleese for his reasonable opinions reminds me of the evangelicals who demand their religion be validated, praised and inserted everywhere in public life. I have no problem with trans persons and like Cleese, I hope they are happy and treated kindly and fairly, but that doesn't mean I have to praise them for being trans, just like I don't praise anyone for being straight or tall or white or Christian.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    4 years ago
They remind me of secular progressives.

Possibly a small far left subsection of them but they certainly don't represent the majority. I'm a secular progressive and I think those attacking Cleese for his opinion are nuts.

I hope trans persons and religious conservatives are happy and that people treat them kindly, and I would hope they feel the same about me and accept the fact that I don't share their beliefs but respect their right to believe what they want or live the way they want to. I believe most secular progressives feel the same.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    4 years ago

Am I missing something in the article?

Where does what Cleese says or tweets equals to transphobia?

Are people who aren't cheerleading for transpeople automatically branded as being transphobic?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @4    4 years ago
Are people who aren't cheerleading for transpeople automatically branded as being transphobic?

It appears to be for some fringe groups or individuals. They aren't unlike the religious conservatives who demand cheerleading for their brand of faith and attack anyone who doesn't immediately bow down to their imagined God or validate their religious opinions. They should be treated the same way which is either ignored or rebutted with logic and reason, though admittedly there are still far more attacks on 'trans freedoms' than there are on 'religious freedoms'.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1    4 years ago
It appears to be for some fringe groups or individuals. They aren't unlike the religious conservatives who demand cheerleading for their brand of faith and attack anyone who doesn't immediately bow down to their imagined God or validate their religious opinions. They should be treated the same way which is either ignored or rebutted with logic and reason, though admittedly there are still far more attacks on 'trans freedoms' than there are on 'religious freedoms'.

In some aspects, yes.

Many in the media seem to play up any news about the LBGQT community, and are quick to condemn any who voice their opinion if they find  it offensive. When religious conservatives do the same, the media largely ignores it, so it really has little to no impact on anything.

I agree it is rather pointless whoever does it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @4    4 years ago
Where does what Cleese says or tweets equals to transphobia?

The only one that I think is even remotely arguable is the bit about competition, but I think that is a nuanced conversation that society needs to have. Unfortunately, right now, trans advocates don't even want to talk about it in a way that acknowledges science.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.3  MonsterMash  replied to  Texan1211 @4    4 years ago

Yup. In order to prove you're not transphobic, you have to invite a transgender to spend the night with you and have sex with them.

High Five to Mr. Cleese for expressing his reasonable thoughts.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

When I returned from Desert Storm, I sent Mr Cleese a marble egg I got there with this note...If you think this egg is unusual, you should see the hen that laid it.  He sent me a very nice hand written note thanking me for the gift and the laugh.  It was like OMG, I made the man who has made me laugh for years laugh back.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago
I just hope they're happy and that people treat them kindly.

If you think a person who says this is transphobic, I think you're probably just looking for a fight.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @6    4 years ago

I think you're right.

Thomas
Senior Guide
7  Thomas    4 years ago

Oh my god! The man has an opinion! 

Burn Her! She's a transphobic! And Transfluid! And Lighter Fluid.  Let's throw it in the pond and see if Precious Floats. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    4 years ago

Seems to me one should not be going after John Cleese and J.K. Rowling as icons for transphobia.  

Would it not be smarter to go after those who seek to attack people with gender identity factors?   Go after the culprits, not those whose offense is to opine that biological gender should not be blurred by the factors of psychological gender.   That a person may psychologically identify as a female but, in reality, her body is still biologically male and that there is a difference between male and female in activities such as competitive sports.