╌>

U.S. appeals court rejects Trump campaign's Pennsylvania election case | Reuters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  113 comments

By:   Tom Hals (U. S.)

U.S. appeals court rejects Trump campaign's Pennsylvania election case | Reuters
A federal appeals court on Friday rejected a request by U.S. President Donald Trump's campaign to block President-elect Joe Biden from being declared the winner of the battleground state of Pennsylvania, dealing another significant setback to Trump's bid to overturn the...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Tom Hals
(Reuters) - A federal appeals court on Friday rejected a request by U.S. President Donald Trump's campaign to block President-elect Joe Biden from being declared the winner of the battleground state of Pennsylvania, dealing another significant setback to Trump's bid to overturn the results of the Nov. 3 election.
"Free, fair elections are the lifeblood of our democracy. Charges of unfairness are serious. But calling an election unfair does not make it so," wrote Stephanos Bibas on behalf of a three-judge panel.
"Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here," he wrote Bibas, who was nominated by Trump. The case could still be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Pennsylvania certified Biden, who won the state's popular vote, as its winner this week. Under Pennsylvania law, the candidate who wins the popular vote in the state gets all of the state's 20 electoral votes.
Trump, a Republican, has refused to concede to his Democratic rival and continues to claim, without evidence, widespread voter fraud.
But as his legal challenges to the results fail, Trump said on Thursday he will leave the White House if the Electoral College votes for Biden, the closest he has come to conceding the election.
On Monday, Trump's administration cleared the way Biden to transition to the White House,

visit seeded article for remaining content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Trump is still saying he won. What? Biggest Loser...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago
"Trump is still saying he won. What? Biggest Loser.."

The whiniest little bitch award

The sore loser award

The poor loser award

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    4 years ago

Here is the Opinion

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

Stephanos Bibas, the author of the searing decision, is a Trump appointee. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago
Stephanos Bibas, the author of the searing decision, is a Trump appointee. 

The irony of that is priceless.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    4 years ago

I very much doubt SCOTUS will touch this, and just to be clear the Supreme Court doesn't hear evidence or try a case. It rules on how the lower courts interpreted the law. If there was any evidence of "massive" fraud it should have been presented in the lower courts. 

On another note: Orange conman is so delusional, I read that he tweeted that Biden can only enter the White House as president if he can prove that his "ridiculous 80,000,000 votes were not fraudulently or illegally obtained. When you see what happened in Detroit, Atlanta, Philadelphia & Milwaukee, massive voter fraud, he’s got a big unsolvable problem

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @5    4 years ago

can only enter the White House as president if he can prove that his "ridiculous 80,000,000 votes were not fraudulently or illegally obtained.

Biden will stand quietly by watching them drag Trump, kicking and screaming and crying from the WH.  As Trump looks towards him, Biden will just smile and think "You were saying bitch?".

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    4 years ago

removed for context

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    4 years ago

Currently, I am still wondering about the mental state of those who back Trump's continued insistence that he won this election and that the results are fraudulent.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago

yeah, maybe you should talk to those people.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago
the mental state... 

I agree that understanding TrumpTrueBelievers is important and urgent. We hear lots of explanations, going every which way. But I, for one, am convinced by none of the common ones, altogether too simple / simplistic to explain tens of millions of what seem to us to be Jim-Jones-insane.

They aren't going away. 

Thus far, no one has found a way to reach them. The nation cannot continue as it is going. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.4  Gazoo  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago

I wonder about the mental state of those willing to brush aside the many irregularities that happened during the election and declare the recipient of those irregularities the winner without a full investigation. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.2    4 years ago

I sometimes do talk to those who back Trump's continued insistence that he won.   I have yet to hear a rational explanation.

Do you have a point to make?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.4    4 years ago
I wonder about the mental state of those willing to brush aside the many irregularities that happened during the election and declare the recipient of those irregularities the winner without a full investigation. 

Why do you claim that fringe irregularities were brushed aside?   Because they wound up being insignificant??

We have watched the USA election process operate pretty much as it has always operated.   In a close election there are always concerns of fraud, etc. and fringe cases where minor fraud was found.

But you need to remember that we have an adversarial system where the losing party is fully capable of going balls-out with investigations and lawsuits.   The system deals with these and they are processed.   Hell, look at all the shit Trump has stirred up all based on bullshit.   To think the system dismisses claims is to not be paying attention.

If, in the end, there is no credible evidence that shows the results do not reflect the will of the people, the secretaries of state certify the results.   Congress then officially counts the results and declares the winner to produce the formal president-elect.

Just because Trump is having a 74 year old tantrum does not mean that there was fraud / error beyond the fringe (and normal) level.   There is, at this point, zero evidence that Trump has brought that would change the results of this election.   But he certainly continue to pile on the bullshit. 

(p.s.) Trump has been known to lie.

At this point, those who think Trump has evidence to change this election are being irrational.   I wonder about the mental state of someone who, at this point in time with all the non-issues that have come and gone, actually believes Biden did not win this election.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.1.7  bccrane  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago

What if told you there was a way to open the mail in and drop box envelopes without damage and resealed without any evidence of tampering, would you consider that it could happen that enough anti-Biden people could get together to have their way with the now exposed ballots, for ballots without a presidential vote pen in Trump, for ballots with Biden or third party have preprinted Trump ballots and through a copier copy the controlling information onto the Trump ballot and fill in other races at your pleasure.  Keep in mind you had 4 weeks to do this and then an extra 3 days or more after the election.  Once you, as the voter, drop off your ballot, you have no way of knowing what has happened to it until it is entered into the system at the clerks office and they let you know they received it, maybe a day or two late.

To get  an envelope open it took me a couple of minutes and it opened easily with no effort and a few minutes later was able to reseal it, just think of the possibilities if you could do batches at a time, wow the havoc you could cause. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  bccrane @6.1.7    4 years ago

I can devise all sorts of hypothetical methods for defrauding an election.

Fiction, however, is not fact.

What matters is evidence, not hypotheses.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.5    4 years ago
Do you have a point to make?

Not any less or more than you do.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.1.10  bccrane  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.8    4 years ago

Actually there is a way to test this, examine the mail in and drop box ballots, they're easy to find because they were folded, next look and see if they are pregnant, by this I mean they were filled in with a pen and the oval is dished from the pressure applied, I dare say that near 100% were filled out as instructed with a blue or black pen, if you find ballots that aren't pregnant then these are probably fraudulent.  In Michigan all the ballots cast at the polls were painted in with a sharpie and not pregnant and not folded.

What would it hurt to check this out?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  bccrane @6.1.10    4 years ago

We are focused on very different items.

You are focused on the question:  Is it possible to commit voter fraud?

I am focused on the question:  Did Biden win the election?

The answer to both of our questions is 'yes'.    Let's move on.

What would it hurt to check this out?

If I were the SoS of Michigan and had credible evidence that voter fraud could change the results of this election, I would be all over checking it out.   If, in contrast, I saw cases of fraud or claims of fraud that could not possibly change the results of the election, then I am certifying the results as correct.

Biden won Michigan and it will remain that way unless Trump finds a way to get past a 2.8% lead by Biden (which would be historic!).

Do you think Trump has a chance of changing the results of this election?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.12  Gazoo  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.6    4 years ago

“Why do you claim that fringe irregularities were brushed aside?”

because some are ready to anoint biden the winner before investigations are complete. You act as if every irregularity has been investigated and there is nothing left to check out. That’s not the case.

“In a close election there are always concerns of fraud, etc. and fringe cases where minor fraud was found.”

There are more irregularities in this election than any i’ve seen in the past. i don’t consider thousands of trump ballots being shifted to biden as something that is minor. Or pennsylvania mailing out 1.8 million mail in ballots and receiving 2.5 million mail in ballots. There are more.

As you said “If, in the end, there is no credible evidence,,,,” then biden won fair and square. I’m saying let the system work and let’s find out the truth. You have been saying there is no evidence, biden won, trump is acting like a baby and anybody who questions that is mental. BS. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.12    4 years ago

Do you believe Trump won Michigan?

If so, deliver the evidence.

I’m saying let the system work and let’s find out the truth.

The system has been working.   Just because you dislike the results does not mean the system has not been working properly.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.12    4 years ago
because some are ready to anoint biden the winner before investigations are complete.

And some were ready to declare Trump the winner too. What's your point?

You act as if every irregularity has been investigated and there is nothing left to check out. That’s not the case.

What's left to check out specifically?

I’m saying let the system work and let’s find out the truth. You have been saying there is no evidence, biden won, trump is acting like a baby and anybody who questions that is mental. BS. 

It has been worked out. Investigations were conducted, recounts performed, and even legal actions. Nothing significant developed from all that, much less alter the outcome in any significant way. So yes, Biden won fair and square.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.15  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago
I am still wondering about the mental state of those who back Trump's continued insistence that he won this election and that the results are fraudulent.

Denial, delusional, sycophantic, just plain nuts, all of the above...take your pick.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.16  Gazoo  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.13    4 years ago

Do i believe trump won michigan? I don’t know, but let’s find out instead of acting like everything is done, nothing left to see here, move on, because it is not done.  
And so far i do not like the results, and i’ll say it again, (why do i have to repeat myself so often when discussing a topic with you) the system is not done. Let everything play out before a winner is decided.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.17  Gordy327  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.16    4 years ago
Do i believe trump won michigan? I don’t know, but let’s find out instead of acting like everything is done, nothing left to see here, move on, because it is not done.  

Even if Trump won Michigan, it wouldn't change the outcome of the election. Contested states have mostly called it in favor of Biden and Trump's legal challenges have fallen flat. So yes, it's over and the winner has been decided. Further denial of that fact is not constructive.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.16    4 years ago

That is irrational.   There is a 2.8% difference in votes with 100% votes counted for weeks now.   The results of the election in Michigan are certified.   The process in the state of Michigan was executed and is now complete.

There is nothing left to find out.   It most definitely is done in Michigan.   Hello?

And so far i do not like the results, and i’ll say it again, (why do i have to repeat myself so often when discussing a topic with you) the system is not done. Let everything play out before a winner is decided.

You choose to repeat yourself rather than offer a cogent rebuttal to what I offer.   If all you can come up with is repeating yourself that is on you.   I acknowledge (and explicitly rebut) what you write so do not pretend I am ignoring or misunderstanding what you write.

There is nothing left to play out.   Michigan is done.   There is no evidence suggesting the results are wrong.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.19  Gazoo  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.18    4 years ago

”You choose to repeat yourself rather than offer a cogent rebuttal to what I offer.   If all you can come up with is repeating yourself that is on you.   I acknowledge (and explicitly rebut) what you write so do not pretend I am ignoring or misunderstanding what you write.”

i choose to wait until ALL lawsuits are investigated and settled. Hello?

i have to repeat myself because you don’t seem to get the fact that i will wait until all lawsuits and investigations are over. You seem to want to dismiss everything and declare biden the winner, despite all the unsettled business, that is on you.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1.20  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.16    4 years ago
i do not like the results

Oh, well then call the media, stop the presses, we're going to have to give dishonest Donald another term because one of his fan boys doesn't like the result of the election so we'll just have to discard the 300,000+ votes Biden has won by in the swing States and the more than 5 million more patriotic Americans votes who rejected the dumb fuck shit bag Trump and the sad dumpster fire that is Trumpism...

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.21  Gazoo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.20    4 years ago

I suggest you read the entire post, not cherry pick a few words and go on stupid rant.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.22  TᵢG  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.19    4 years ago

You are just playing games Gazoo.  

I have acknowledged, obviously, that you want to wait.   My whole comment addressed that.   You, in contrast, play the slimy tactic of pretending that I missed your point and that the only thing I could comprehend was that you cannot formulate a cogent rebuttal.

Here is a tip new guy, I have little patience for intellectual dishonesty and will relentlessly call you out on it every time you try it.

Yes, it is obvious you want to wait.   So as long as the Trump campaign files lawsuits you are telling all of us that you want to wait until they end.   The trouble with your desire ... as I have explained in detail ... is that this is NOT the day after the election.   It is November 27th.    The Trump lawsuits have thus far been a big flop.   Nothing.   They have been bullshit.

Further, the results from the state of Michigan have been certified.   That means it is over.   Biden is officially the winner of Michigan with a 2.8% margin of victory. 

To hold that Michigan is not over is irrational.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.23  Gazoo  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.22    4 years ago

Here’s a tip for you, guy, i don’t give a fuck what you like or not. In a nutshell, i’m waiting for everything to be settled. You are calling biden the winner despite unsettled lawsuits.

[Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.24  Dulay  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.19    4 years ago

What lawsuits are you talking about? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.25  TᵢG  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.23    4 years ago
i don’t give a fuck what you like or not.

Quite impressive, tough guy.    jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

In a nutshell, i’m waiting for everything to be settled.

Michigan results are certified .   Everything is settled.   Extant lawsuits are now pointless.   Face reality.   Trump lost with a 2.8% deficit.

You are calling biden the winner despite unsettled lawsuits.

The world is calling Biden the winner.   Get a clue.   Trump can file lawsuits until the day he dies and that is not going to change the results of Michigan.  They have completed their process.   It is over.

misunderstandings

What am I misunderstanding about your position?   Do you not comprehend the difference between disagreeing with your irrational position and not understanding your irrational position?

I understand that you are not going to accept the certified results of the state of Michigan as long as lawsuits exist trying to challenge same.

Yours is an irrational position.   You have offered nothing to suggest your position is rational.  

If you can muster an argument that shows how the certified results of Michigan can realistically be reversed and result in Trump being certified the winner then do so.   If not, you are simply offering incredibly naive wishful thinking.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.26  TᵢG  replied to  Dulay @6.1.24    4 years ago

Probably this latest nonsense:

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.27  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.23    4 years ago
ever notice how conversations between you and others devolve into misunderstandings? Ask yourself, is it everybody else?

Odd, I've been discussing various topics with TiG for years now.  I can't recall ever having had a misunderstanding with him.  I imagine quite a few others can say the same.  So, I really don't think it's him.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1.28  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.21    4 years ago
I suggest you read the entire post, not cherry pick a few words and go on stupid rant.

I read your entire post, and it boiled down to that stupid ignorant position of "whah, whah whah whah". The election is long over, the lawsuits have been shot down and only the truly stupid are still clinging to the threads of hope that reality isn't what it appears to be and that dumb fuck Donald won against all odds and against all evidence. Donald and his diaper shitting baby sycophants need to grow the fuck up, get educated and join the rest of rational Americans in the reality that is, not the reality they ignorantly and desperately wish were true.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.29  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago

Those who won't let go of this election are like those hard core deep Southerners who cling to the belief that the South will rise again.  They will continue to wear their MAGA hats, fly their Trump/Pence flags, and wear the tee shirts.  The will yell that Trump really won, have protest marches, and talk incessantly over beer and BBQ of how they got robbed.  Some will just not get over the fact that there was no fraud.  Instead of moving on, they will just stay stuck on stupid.  Hopefully a lot of them will heed Trump's "It is what it is.", step back, and give PE Biden a chance.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.30  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.29    4 years ago

It sure seems like clinging.  

It is fascinating observing someone flat out refuse to accept the certified results of a state where the winner is ahead by 2.8% as long as lawsuits are in play.

Imagine Trump filing lawsuits throughout 2021; will these clingers still insist that we should wait until 'everything is settled'?

Truly incredible.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.31  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.27    4 years ago
So, I really don't think it's him.

I assure you, it's not!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.32  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.25    4 years ago
Yours is an irrational position.   You have offered nothing to suggest your position is rational.  

I believe you mentioned the term "stubborn ignorance" not too long ago?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.33  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.32    4 years ago

I am at a loss for words.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.34  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.33    4 years ago

Oh, I think you said all that needed to be said.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.35  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.15    4 years ago
Denial, delusional, sycophantic, just plain nuts, all of the above...take your pick.

They're almost half of the electorate. They will remain mobilized. The long-term survival of democracy in America depends on deprogramming TrumpTrueBelievers, and that starts with understanding them. 

Dismal will give them the victory... eventually... 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.36  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.35    4 years ago

Not every Trump voter is alike.   There are Trump supporters here on NT who flat out blow my mind.   But, in contrast, I cannot think of a single Trump supporter I know outside of social media who thinks Trump is anything short of a narcissistic asshole.

If the R party somehow manifests a charismatic candidate with policies similar to Trump's (which were very much R policies) they would rally behind the candidate.    It is not Trump the person that they support, it is Trump's defiance of status quo, candor (albeit replete with lies) and willingness to take on politically incorrect issues.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.37  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.35    4 years ago

I tend to think it will die down and fade away. Without Trump around, they have nothing to hold them together. They'll go out in the proverbial not with a bang but a whimper.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.38  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.33    4 years ago

I've just read your hours-long struggle. It's fascinating... although I would never have had the patience, myself 

"We will not be satisfied until all the votes are recounted!"... They have all been recounted. 

"We will not be satisfied until all legal action is resolved!" ... It has all been resolved. 

"We will continue to bring legal action until one succeeds!"

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this series is that your interlocutor seems to be entirely in good faith. Trump's defeat is not possible in his universe. ... and therefore, actions (no matter what) must continue until Trump's victory is finally confirmed. 

Your interlocutor, whose good faith is undoubted, is confronted with a terrible dilemma. An impossible Trump defeat may not only be possible, but real! Then... TrumpTrueBeliever "reality" would be ... not real! 

"How many other 'Trump reality facts' are untrue?" A TrumpTrueBeliever must avoid that question at all costs. 

His universe is near collapse, so he must redouble his efforts to shore it up. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.39  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.38    4 years ago

It might also be the notion that if a lawsuit is filed then Trump must have a solid case with quality evidence, etc.   The idea of Trump filing frivolous lawsuits is apparently dismissed.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.40  Tessylo  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.4    4 years ago

What were those 'many' irregularities?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.41  Tessylo  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.23    4 years ago

Haven't all the (I think 38?) unfounded lawsuits been tossed out at this point?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.42  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.5    4 years ago
"Do you have a point to make?"

Nope.  Never.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.43  Tessylo  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.16    4 years ago

THE WINNER HAS BEEN DECIDED, JOE BIDEN

tRUMPTURD IS A SORE LOSER, POOR LOSER, WHINY LITTLE BITCH.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.44  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.39    4 years ago
The idea of Trump filing frivolous lawsuits is apparently dismissed.

I think it's subtler than that. Your phrasing implies that TrumpTrueBelievers' denialism is willful. While that is surely true for the more "intellectual" ones (like those on NT), I don't think it is for most. 

In TrumpTrueBelieverUniverse, a pro-Trump lawsuit is not frivolous. That's not an opinion. It is a fact. As certain as sunrise. A TrumpTrueBeliever does not accept the idea that a lawsuit is frivolous because they know that that is not possible.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.45  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.44    4 years ago

I guess I associate with a higher caliber of Trump supporters.    See I can explain to most of them why I could never vote for Trump and they essentially understand.   Their responses typically are that they dislike Trump but like his policies and are very concerned about what might happen (policy-wise) with Biden.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.46  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.45    4 years ago

Donald Trump is a known tax cheat and fraud. Serial liar, likely sexual miscreant, not to mention runaway narcissist and general ignoramus. Oh, and bully. 

What are his good qualities again ?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.47  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.46    4 years ago

For the Trump voters I mentioned, his policies.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.48  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.47    4 years ago

There is no one in the Republican Party who advocates those policies without being one of the worst people in the country? 

Widespread support of Donald Trump is one of the great moral failings of this century in the United States. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.49  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.48    4 years ago
There is no one in the Republican Party who advocates those policies without being one of the worst people in the country? 

There are plenty of Rs who advocate those policies.   What an odd question.

Trump had the incumbency.   There was, in effect, no R primary in 2020.   The Rs had one choice:  Trump or Trump.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.50  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.4    4 years ago

Can you point to any irregularities or evidence of such that have been presented as evidence in court?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.51  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.49    4 years ago

Trump can't nominate himself. If the rest of the leaders of the Republican Party had united to deny him the nomination he would not have been the nominee. Yes, some of their seats in Congress would have been in jeopardy but the fact is the Republican Party knowingly nominated someone for president who had lied to the American people thousands of times during his first term in office, had committed obstruction of justice in the White House (the Mueller investigation) and had been impeached  (justifiably) for trying to bribe or extort the president of another country. For anyone to pretend there was no justification for preventing Trump from running for re-election is just bizarre. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.52  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.51    4 years ago

JR you described a political fantasy.  (And I was waiting for you to do just that.)

You certainly know enough about political dynamics to realize why no R mounted a credible challenge to the incumbent in his/her party.   Prior to COVID-19, Trump had a very good shot at winning reelection.   Like him or not, Trump was (at the time) the best chance the Rs had to retain the Executive branch.   And when it comes to politics, it is party über alles.

In short, even if a narcissistic asshole who exploited people and tossed them aside and whose demeanor was worse than any president in recent history looked like the best chance to keep the Executive branch, they would go with this individual.

In fact, that is exactly what happened.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.53  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.25    4 years ago

Gazoo chose his name from the Flintstones.  [removed]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.54  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.53    4 years ago

Funny, I was felling and cutting up a large dead tree today (lots of spare mental cycles available while doing that) and for some reason Gazoo came to mind.   I realized that this was the alien 'friend' of Fred and Barney in the Flintstones.   

Gazoo had some cool powers.   He was small but certainly significant.

Our resident Gazoo is a bit of an enigma to me.   Not sure what fact base he is working from but it is seriously flawed IMO.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.55  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.52    4 years ago

So you think the nation's political leaders don't have to be required to lead?  

There is no doubt whatsoever that Donald Trump will go down as the worst president in US history.  He does not have a single achievement that cannot be superseded by Biden other than the tax cut and that will go when the Democrats retake the senate.

What is Trump's claim to fame other than he is the ringleader of white grievance ?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.56  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.55    4 years ago
So you think the nation's political leaders don't have to be required to lead?  

The reality is what I described John.   I thought I was clear.   Trump was the R's best shot to retain the Executive branch prior to COVID-19 and they knew it.   You should have no confusion as to why Trump ran, in essence, unopposed.

Trump, the individual, did not enter into their political calculus.

I am not going to chase tangent questions.   I have answered your question multiple times now.   The answer, to me, was obvious but I gave it to you anyway.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.57  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.56    4 years ago
What is Trump's claim to fame other than he is the ringleader of white grievance ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.58  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.57    4 years ago

John, you seem to be under the illusion that TiG is defending Trump.  He is not.  He is explaining why others besides himself might have voted for Trump, and why the Republican Party had to nominate him again.  Understanding those things hardly equates to being in Trump's corner.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.59  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.58    4 years ago

Sandy, I have been talking about this election with Tig for at least the last six months. I think I know what is going on. 

I am not criticizing Tig, I am explaining why there are no sufficient reasons to have voted for Trump. He IS going to be considered the worst president EVER. That is going to happen. Who wants it on their record that they voted for the worst president ever? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.60  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.59    4 years ago
I am explaining why there are no sufficient reasons to have voted for Trump.

But John, ~74 million people disagree with you.   I cannot represent all of these people for you so why are you asking me to do so?

I have offered what my friends and family (the Trump voters at least) have shared with me.

You have Trumpsters in your family, go gather some info from them.

Alternatively ask the Trumpsters here on NT.   They might explain their criteria if you let them.

Just make sure you do not ask certain members ' ~~ i n f l a m m a t o r y ~~ ' questions like:  ' Do you acknowledge that Biden won the election? '.     jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.61  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.45    4 years ago
they dislike Trump but like his policies

That's vacuous. 

What are the policies they like?
- Racism? No one is going to admit that. 
- Tax breaks for the already-rich? No on will recognize that that happened.
... and so on...

Their saying this kind of thing is in some cases simple hypocrisy, but I think that much more widely it is more proof of the existence of a TrumpTrueBelieverUniverse where all characteristics of Donald Trump are admirable, by default. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.62  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.59    4 years ago
He IS going to be considered the worst president EVER. 

By whom? 

History is written by the winners. There's a high probability that fascism will prevail in America, so Trump will be considered a New Founding Father. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.63  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.61    4 years ago
That's vacuous. 

Are you saying their positions are vacuous?   Presuming then that none of them have used their minds to draw conclusions?

Vacuous, Bob?   " having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless "    Really?

What are the policies they like?

I did not take a survey.   But I suspect they would list economic policy based on the results (regardless of the fact that Trump had very little to do with the economy), immigration policy, international trade policy, nominations, etc.

Bottom line, from my sampling, it likes like good results (at least prior to COVID-19) can outweigh an asshole narcissist at the helm.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.64  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.63    4 years ago
they dislike Trump but like his policies
That's vacuous. 

Trump, the person, is inseparable from Thump, the President. His policies reflect his personality: racist, misogyn, authoritarian, greedy, narcissistic, .....

Saying "I don't like the man but I like his policies"... is... vacuous. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.65  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.64    4 years ago
Saying "I don't like the man but I like his policies"... is... vacuous. 

Well plenty of people disagree with you.   They allowed a known asshole to serve as PotUS because the results (mostly economic) were what they wanted.   They might think your inability to separate the man from the policies is a result of a vacuous thought process.

And it does not matter, Bob, because that seems to be a way a lot of people think.   What we were speculating on was why Trump was elected in 2016 and why 74 million voted for his reelection.   Call it vacuous, stupid, whatever ... but I think it boils down to liking the results even though many disliked the asshole at the helm.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.66  Dulay  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.65    4 years ago

Are those 74 million evaluating those results in a cogent way?

A review of a list of Trump's 'achievements' invariably includes a plethora of outright lies. Sure, there is a small percentage of the population that did GREAT under Trump. Yet there are MILLIONS more that think they did based solely on Trump's lies.

Hell there are MILLIONS of Americans that still think that China pays for the tariffs just because they are willing to believe whatever Trump tells them. At this point, I can only come to the conclusion that they are in blissful denial and proud of it. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.67  TᵢG  replied to  Dulay @6.1.66    4 years ago
Are those 74 million evaluating those results in a cogent way?

Logically not.   There are all sorts of voters who vote for name-recognition, single-issues, etc.  

A review of a list of Trump's 'achievements' invariably includes a plethora of outright lies.

Of course.   But put yourself, if possible, in the mind of someone who goes about their daily lives and does not dwell on politics.   They see things working well for them and their family.   They hear talk of enforcing legal immigration, improving trade, not playing nice with terrorists, etc.    They see we are not at war.   Many of them (unless brain-dead) realize that Trump is a lying sack-of-shit, but they probably are not so alarmed because virtually every politician is a lying sack-of-shit to some degree.  

And most of them are probably pretty cynical about politicians and do not expect much from any of them.

So what do they do?   They favor the status quo; don't fix it if it ain't broken.   And if COVID-19 had not hit, Trump would have been reelected to maintain the status quo.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.68  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.65    4 years ago
Call it vacuous, stupid, whatever ... but I think it boils down to liking the results even though many disliked the asshole at the helm.

Alternatively... it's a way to hold racist, misogynist, authoritarian (shameful) positions without admitting it.

But hey! If you want to take TrumpTrueBelievers at their word... 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.69  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.68    4 years ago

Keep in mind that I have been reflecting the views of friends and family so I have a bit more information about their integrity and yes I do take them at their word.

I cannot speak for the other 74 million.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.70  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.53    4 years ago

[removed]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.71  cjcold  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.37    4 years ago
die down and fade away

I (like the FBI) see far right wing violence only intensifying in the U.S..

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.72  Gordy327  replied to  cjcold @6.1.71    4 years ago

I'm trying to be optimistic 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    4 years ago
removed for context.

I am looking forward to an apology from all of the right wing conspiracy mongers who claimed that there was massive voter fraud because, "trump said so", and there clearly was none. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  MrFrost @6.2    4 years ago

You might have to wait until those in delusion-land actually acknowledge that Biden won.   You will not get an apology while they are in denial. 

(Well, you will not get an apology under any circumstance, but you know that.)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @6.2    4 years ago
I am looking forward to an apology from all of the right wing conspiracy mongers who claimed that there was massive voter fraud because, "trump said so", and there clearly was none. 

Yeah, you should probably talk to them about it!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.2    4 years ago

Do you acknowledge that Biden won the election?    If not, will you hold off and wait for some special event before acknowledging the obvious?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.3    4 years ago
Do you acknowledge that Biden won the election?  

Of course---and I always have done so.

Why?

Don't you?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.4    4 years ago
Of course---and I always have done so.

Good.   Strange how other Rs cannot seem to realize this.

Don't you?

Yes, I am quite aware that Biden won.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.5    4 years ago
Good.   Strange how other Rs cannot seem to realize this.

Hmm....maybe you should talk to them about it.

Yes, I am quite aware that Biden won.

Oh, good, good.

Seems like a rather silly fucking question to ask, doesn't it?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.6    4 years ago
Seems like a rather silly fucking question to ask, doesn't it?

Of you, no, because you are a Trump supporter.   It is a fair question to ask.

Of me, yes, now that you mention it.   Your question to me was silly given my comment history.   I have been spending this month trying to get people to understand the odds of Trump prevailing and, when it became impossible for Trump to ever win, trying to get them to deal with the reality that Biden won.   If someone does not know my position on this election by now then there is no reaching them. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.7    4 years ago
Of you, no, because you are a Trump supporter.   It is a fair question to ask.

That is certainly one fucked-up way to look at it, I guess.

Of me, yes, now that you mention it.   Your question to me was silly given my comment history.

No more so than asking me. Given my comment history.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.8    4 years ago
That is certainly one fucked-up way to look at it, I guess.

Well, let's see.   A person who routinely defends Trump and is known as a supporter might actually buy the bullshit from Trump.   But rather than presume it, I asked you.   ( Oddly, you could not just offer an answer without getting pissy about it. )

In contrast, someone who is demonstrably and obviously not a Trump supporter, would not magically switch into support of Trump during a time when Trump is behaving extraordinarily bad (even for Trump).

Pretty good reasoning it seems, not fucked-up in any way.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.9    4 years ago

I got "pissy" about it because I considered a dumb fucking question.

I DO consider it fucked up, sue me.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.11  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.10    4 years ago

Then I recommend you chill out.   If little confirming questions like that whip you into a frenzy then you are currently wound too tight to engage in a forum like this.

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.11    4 years ago

[deleted]

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2.13  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.11    4 years ago
If little confirming questions like that whip you into a frenzy then you are currently wound too tight to engage in a forum like this.

Very well said TiG and very true. It is very sad to see some people get so totally freaked out about political discussions that they can't seem to control themselves. It really is not necessary, as nothing is really worth making themselves sick over. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.14  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.12    4 years ago

your

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @6.2.14    4 years ago

No your, you're, or yore in my post.

Did you have a point, or just posting random words now?

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.15    4 years ago

There should have been but now that it's gone...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2.17  cjcold  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.1    4 years ago

Some folk never get through all five stages of denial.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    4 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

I'm looking forward to the apology from all the right-wing conspiracy nuts on NT and nationwide about it being a fraudulent election with millions of illegal votes. In fact, as recently as of today on NT some were claiming the same old bullshit. 

Today's tweet from the delusional one in the White House.

Trump implies that he won't leave the White House unless Biden 'can prove' he won 80 million votes, as the president continues to tweet lies and conspiracy theories about the election

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago
Trump implies that he won't leave the White House unless Biden 'can prove' he won 80 million votes

As we all know, the responsibility of providing proof is on the persona making the claim and as this article clearly proves, trump has ZERO proof of any voter fraud. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  MrFrost @7.1    4 years ago

Proof, LOL that's a bridge too far for Trump's elite legal team of Rudy Four Seasons et al.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @7.1    4 years ago

Never mind proof.  They can't even come up with a specific allegation.  "We're sure there was fraud!" isn't quite enough for a lawsuit.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.2    4 years ago

Then Rudy "A daylight tolerating vampire" Guillaini gets before a judge denying it is a fraud case.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago
I'm looking forward to the apology from all the right-wing conspiracy nuts on NT and nationwide about it being a fraudulent election with millions of illegal votes.

You will never see it. Like their God Trump, they are too childish to admit that they were wrong. I figured that Trump saying he would step down if the EC backed Biden, or some such lie. Now he says he won't leave the WH until Biden can prove he won by 80 million votes.

And one he gets that proof, he will think of some other excuse fir not leaving the WH. He is obviously so scared of going to jail that he just can't stand the idea of losing the protection of the Presidency. 

But, once the final decision is made that Biden won and is indeed the legal President-Elect or President, Trump will have to leave the WH even if he is escorted out by the Marines on duty there, or others.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

[deleted]

[comment previously deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    4 years ago

Name one. 

BTFW, Trump's lawyers have been desperately trying to get a case to the SCOTUS but as of today, they've failed to file anything that hasn't been laughed out of court. Based on the case history of the junk that that they've filed, I predict that the SCOTUS will not accept an appeal from any of them. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @8.1    4 years ago
Name one. 

We've always been at war with eastasia, eh Dulay?

Not that I'm surprised. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.1.1    4 years ago

Instead of deflecting, NAME ONE. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dulay @8.1    4 years ago

My favorite is from his latest bitch who he now says he does not know.  She blamed election interference on Hugo Chavez who died years ago.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    4 years ago

Another trump loss in PA.....The Mike Kelly et al law suit

Pennsylvania high court rejects lawsuit challenging election

Article:

Ruling

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  Kavika   replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

Didn't Trump say that his followers would get tired of winning. I think that they better readjust their priorities and concentrate on losing which they are doing a great job at. I believe they are now 1 and 40 in court cases, so much losing. LOL