╌>

British woman in Dubai faces jail time and $140,000 fine for rude WhatsApp message to her roommate

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   jzitser@businessinsider.com (Joshua Zitser) 1 day ago (MSN)

British woman in Dubai faces jail time and $140,000 fine for rude WhatsApp message to her roommate
A 31-year-old British woman could face up to two years in a Dubai jail and a fine of $140,000 for texting 'f--- you' to her former roommate.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

British woman in Dubai faces jail time and $140,000 fine for rude WhatsApp message to her roommate© Getty Images The 31-year-old woman admits to sending the rude message to her former roommate last October. Getty Images

• A woman faces up to 2 years in a Dubai jail and a fine for sending a rude text, MailOnline reported.
  • The 31-year-old is charged with telling her ex-roommate to 'f--- off' in a WhatsApp message.
  • Her attempts to resolve the matter out of court have been rebuffed by her former roommate.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

A British woman in Dubai has been told she could face up to two years in jail and a 500,000 AED ($136,129) fine for swearing at her roommate in a WhatsApp message, according to MailOnline.

The unnamed woman faces charges under the United Arab Emirate's cybercrime laws, the news outlet reported.

She is accused of writing "f--- you" to her Ukrainian ex-roommate after arguing about the use of a dining room table, MailOnline's Paul Thompson said.

The 31-year-old woman admits to sending the rude message last October but prosecutors have yet to bring forward a formal legal case, according to MailOnline.

The prosecutors are waiting to file a forensic report on the woman's phone before a case is brought forward, the news outlet said.

The woman was arrested when trying to board a flight from Dubai International Airport to London's Heathrow Airport, the Independent reported.

She has since tried to contact her former roommate to resolve the situation but her request was rebuffed, the paper said.

The British woman, who works as an HR manager, told MailOnline that she is low on money, couch surfing, and fearful of losing her job. "I'm banging my head against a brick wall," she told the outlet.

Radha Stirling, CEO of the Detained in Dubai legal firm, has described the situation as a "nightmare."

In a press release, Stirling said: "The UAE has criminalized practically every visitor to the country under their vague and poorly drafted cybercrime laws. Today's news really hit home for the woman, who has never been in trouble in her life.

She continued: "She is entangled in an alien legal system and the seriousness of a simple WhatsApp message sent to a fellow European in the heat of an argument, is difficult to comprehend. It's a nightmare for her."

This is not the first time that a foreign national has been arrested under the UAE's strict cybercrime laws.

In 2019, Laleh Shahravesh was arrested for allegedly calling her ex-husband's wife a "horse" on Facebook.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Quick, somebody hide this from Perrie before she gets any ideas!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Fuck the assholes on NT. Sioux me.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

When I was in Dubai for Desert Storm, a neighbor of a young couple saw them kissing through an open window and reported them.  They both got 6 mo and flogged in Sharza prison followed by deportation.  The poor cousin asleep in the bedroom who didn't even know the couple was home got 6 months and deportation.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    3 years ago
When I was in Dubai for Desert Storm

It was a different place back then...wide spot in the road. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @3.1    3 years ago

I would love to go back for a visit some day.

Professor Guide
3.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    3 years ago
When I was in Dubai for Desert Storm, a neighbor of a young couple saw them kissing through an open window and reported them.

Continental Airlines brought troops home from Desert Storm.  Hands down the best experience of my flying career.  I learned how to play poker, got engaged to about 20 guys (and one gal), and finagled a butt-load of pins and badges that I still have to this very day.  Of course most of the finagling involved some kind of booty grab.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.2    3 years ago

You go girl !!!!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    3 years ago

What to do?  Threaten to make it a wider spot of glass road...

See who blinks first.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    3 years ago

Google

dubai = go fund me

and see what horrors pop up.

The fact that this one has an unnamed victim and unnamed roommate

makes me wonder if this one's a fake.

Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Split Personality @5    3 years ago

I was just worried that Perrie would start charging us for telling someone to F-O.  $136,000 seems a little stiff to me.  jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1    3 years ago

Oh I agree.  You should see the vitriol, bile and hate mail I get  for DARING to ticket the CHOSEN FEW for any points,

even ZERO  points.

Skinless, apparently. 

And that is not restricted to one "side" or another, lol.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    3 years ago

Nice to see admitted trolls still awake and flagging after a disappointing SB.

Good thing Jamanji was on opposite.  Great movie with great special effects for 1995.

I guess the half time show was great but I had no idea who he was...

Must be my age showing.