╌>

Nikki Fried says she won't lower flags to honor Rush Limbaugh despite DeSantis' order | WFLA

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   WFLA

Nikki Fried says she won't lower flags to honor Rush Limbaugh despite DeSantis' order | WFLA
Lowering to half-staff the flag of the United States of America is a sacred honor that pays respect to fallen heroes and patriots. It is not a partisan political tool. Therefore, I will notify all state offices under my direction to disregard the Governor's forthcoming order to lower flags for Mr. Limbaugh - because we will not celebrate hate speech, bigotry, and division. Lowering the flag should always reflect unity, not division, and raising our standards, not lowering them. Our flags will...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried says she will disregard Gov. Ron DeSantis' order to lower Florida flags at half-staff in honor of conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh who died last week.

"Lowering to half-staff the flag of the United States of America is a sacred honor that pays respect to fallen heroes and patriots. It is not a partisan political tool. Therefore, I will notify all state offices under my direction to disregard the Governor's forthcoming order to lower flags for Mr. Limbaugh - because we will not celebrate hate speech, bigotry, and division. Lowering the flag should always reflect unity, not division, and raising our standards, not lowering them. Our flags will remain flying high to celebrate the American values of diversity, inclusion, and respect for all."

Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Friday that he will order flags in Florida to be flown at half-staff when Limbaugh's body is laid to rest.

"There's not much that needs to be said, the guy was an absolute legend," DeSantis said. "He was a friend of mine and just a great person."

.@GovRonDeSantis is lowering Florida's flags to half-staff for Rush Limbaugh.
But he had no words for Congressman John Lewis.
Priorities. https://t.co/ZdYsCkaorP

— Nikki Fried (@nikkifried) February 19, 2021

Limbaugh lived in Florida. He died Wednesday following a battle with lung cancer.

Fried's office oversees a number of state facilities, including nine regional licensing offices, 38 state forests, and 23 agricultural law enforcement inspection stations.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Lowering flags to half staff for Rush Limbaugh makes about as much sense as giving him the Presidential Medal Of Freedom did, which is to say none. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    3 years ago

Good for her.  Desantis is a fucking asshole.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    3 years ago
"There's not much that needs to be said, the guy was an absolute legend," DeSantis said. "He was a friend of mine and just a great person."

That’s not a reason to fly the flag at half staff. Sorry.

On the other hand, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Whether you agree with that particular award or not, it might be sufficient justification for flying the flag at half staff. I don’t know what the precedent is for that, though.

Beyond that, I would say there is nothing to warrant it. It’s unfortunate that the governor thinks such an honor should be extended to his buddies.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago

well any Gov , has that authority within their state , i see it all the time when past members of the state legislature or past govs or some person of some importance to the history of the state and even celebrities if they have ties to the state  pass away the gov can say the flags will be at half staff.

One i can think of was the country singer chris ledeux, that passed a few yrs back , he was a UW grad , a rodeo personality as a rider , and a country singer that lived in kaycee wyoming.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    3 years ago

Wow. That feels like a bit much. I think the rules on this allow for some general flexibility, but I think if you let it go too far - like popular celebrities or the governor’s friends - we’d never get the flag all the way up.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tacos! @4.1.1    3 years ago

It can seem that way, usually the duration is only a day or so from the govs announcement , longest ive seen for state politicians is a week unless prempted by a presidential order.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Bravo Nikki Fried.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

If hate speech is not to be honored, then don’t lower it for Trump either.  Couldn’t happen soon enough.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    3 years ago

DeSantis has something to hide too?  Dirty money maybe?  Or something else?