╌>

The stunning political power of AOC - CNNPolitics

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  50 comments

By:   Chris Cillizza (CNN)

The stunning political power of AOC - CNNPolitics
Last Thursday, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D) announced her plan to raise money to help victims of the extreme weather -- and power grid failure -- in Texas.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large Updated 3:51 PM EST, Mon February 22, 2021

(CNN) Last Thursday, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D) announced her plan to raise money to help victims of the extreme weather -- and power grid failure -- in Texas.

On Sunday night, her office confirmed that she had raised almost $5 million for that effort in less than 96 hours.

Obviously, the most important thing here is that millions more dollars will go to Texans still struggling to find potable water and deal with the damage from last week's deep freeze. (Ocasio-Cortez also traveled to the state over the weekend to see the situation firsthand.)

But it's also extremely important -- in terms of AOC's political future -- to note how incredible it is for a second-term House member to be able to raise so much money so quickly for a cause she chose to advocate for.

Many politicians -- especially in the House -- don't (and can't) raise $5 million in the course of a two-year election cycle. That AOC can do so by simply saying she wanted to help Texans who were hurting speaks to not only her immense national donor base but also the level of allegiance those people feel for her.

Remember this: For all the bad press money in politics gets, it remains one of the best ways to gauge loyalty and passion for a candidate. If you can get lots of people to open their wallets for you, it means they truly believe in you and what you are doing in the public space.

When you can raise $5 million for a cause -- and not even one in your state or having anything to do with you -- in the space of four days, well, that's real power.

It's that power that has even Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (New York) bending over backward to make nice with AOC -- and court the liberal left -- in hopes of keeping her from primarying him in 2022. (She hasn't ruled out a bid yet.)

It's that power that makes every Democrat ambitious for national office -- whether in 2024 or beyond -- acknowledge that AOC is a prime mover in any presidential primary race she decides to compete in. (AOC will turn 35 just before the 2024 election, which makes her technically eligible to serve as president.)

And it's that power that, in the near term, makes AOC her own power center within the House. Because when you can raise money in the millions over a few days, every single member of the Democratic-controlled House wants to be on your good side.

To be clear: Of course AOC didn't raise this money to show her fundraising and political might. But that's what it showed anyway.

The Point: No one seems to have a good grasp on what AOC wants to do next. But her ability to raise lots of money very quickly means there is very little that is out of her reach, politically speaking.

View on CNN Outbrain

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

AOC must be taken seriously. She's Got The Power!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

Now, if she only had a functioning brain

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

So, you're going to stick with Rudy, Gorka and the rest [removed]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

Says a defender of Louie Gohmert.

Yeah, shit has gotten so fucking stupid thanks to Trump that we completely forgot about him. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago
Now, if she only had a functioning brain

Straight to personal insults?  No dancing around, calling her a bartender, making shit up about her first?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz, after a trip to Cancun and back again ( 2 international flights) promoted glove-less handshakes with mask less

people while he distributed water quite possibly paid for by AOC fundraisers.

Cruz who should have self quarantined for two weeks appeared eager to have this photo op on Friday

while  his children's private school were complaining about the fact that they were not informed about the family trip

and would not let the children return to school until after quarantine.

"Snowflake" the family poodle survived being left behind in the "freezing" Cruz home.

Recall the ass.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    3 years ago

Mr Paxton ( TX AG) and his wife Mrs Paxton ( TX Senator ) conveniently both found meetings to attend in Utah

where none of Utah's wind turbine's or other power infrastructure failed or froze.

How very lucky they were /s

Politically protected scum of the ruling party...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    3 years ago

there is no recall possible.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

AOC is a star. Soon to be a superstar. She needs a few more years on her with the added maturity. Her heart is in the right place and she is smart as a whip. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

I doubt if Lyin' Ted wants to take her on again..

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

Her heart is definitely in the right place, and given where she comes from I think she can be a very good thing for our country. She just needs a few more years, and more assignments under her belt to start to accumulate the real power in DC. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.2    3 years ago

She raised money, Trump threw rolls of paper towels.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Good seed.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    3 years ago

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is not a political power.

Instead, she is determined, sees and understands the potential financial future for American power/influence and fully understands the mechanisms that hold America and its citizens needlessly in check.

AOC as a person is not a power, but her straightforward vision is.

Unless the autocrat leaning movement takes power in America, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez may someday be Speaker of The House.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Honestly, right now she is putting on a show. She doesn't have any real power at this point, and the rest of the Dems know it. Sure she is fun, outspoken, etc. etc. But she just hasn't been in D.C. long enough to get access to the real leavers. Giver her time and I think she will make waves. And I hope she does. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

well , how does she play in boston or peoria , or little rock? outside her little bourough i doubt she would be electable .

we shall have to wait and see how much of what was raised , actually makes it to those it was  intended  for, you know much like we had to wait and see how much of what the clintons raised made it to hatian relief ..... the ones it was intended for. and not the clinnton foundation and to pay its bills.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6    3 years ago

Don't think like a man Mark.

Plenty of girl's, lasses and women across the country appreciate her sticking it to the systems. The good ole boy systems.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Split Personality @6.1    3 years ago

LMAO, well the last time i got in touch with my feminine side was over 30 years ago and i ended up  married .

aint making that mistake again.

besides the last one dang near killed me and  i have more days behind me now than i have left in front of me( isnt that a depressing thought when it first dawns on you) , i dont think i would survive another .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.1    3 years ago

another thought on how women across the country like it when a woman sticks it to the system/ good old boy network, happened with hillary , so much so she became unlikable and unelectable in the right/ wrong places and ended up losing . it is a balancing act.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.2    3 years ago

In addition to being cute, but unlikable, her crazy schemes like the Green New Deal have zero chance of passing. She will spend her time in Congress getting rich  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.2    3 years ago

Sounds like Hillary is living rent free and Bill, in your head 24/7.

WTF do they have do with AOC?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.2    3 years ago

Hillary was so right about the supporters of the former occupant of the White House.  

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1.6  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.3    3 years ago

"She will spend her time in Congress getting rich"

Perhaps she's taking cues from Kelly Loeffler ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.2    3 years ago
another thought on how women across the country like it when a woman sticks it to the system/ good old boy network, happened with hillary , so much so she became unlikable and unelectable in the right/ wrong places and ended up losing . it is a balancing act.

This comment appears to be reaching the conclusion that feminists who rise above the good old boy network thus make themselves unlikable and unelectable. 

Voters approve of the good ol boy network?   I thought conservative populists were against the "swamp" . 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.3    3 years ago

Why do I feel like you think she is unlikable because she calls people like you on your bullshit and doesn’t back down?

And the green new deal isn’t crazy, it is already happening (albeit slowly) via market forces. Fossil fuels suck and are on their way out, renewables are the future. It’d be nice if some of her ideas could pass and speed the transition along though.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tessylo @6.1.4    3 years ago
Sounds like Hillary is living rent free and Bill, in your head 24/7.

Not really

Hillary is a good historical example of what happens when someone becomes unlikable to the voting public , and both her and her husband are good examples of what can happen when the court of public opinion starts looking at different scandals be they made up or real and the public starts making up their minds .

Example that are easily recognizable today because most have lived through those times and its fresh in ones memory. they are relatable.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.9    3 years ago
"Not really"

Yes, really!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.11  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.7    3 years ago
This comment appears to be reaching the conclusion that feminists who rise above the good old boy network thus make themselves unlikable and unelectable

I dont know John , I am only responsable for what i say , not how you interpret and comprehend it .

was gerildine farraro unelectable? she had a pretty good political career , as did Anne Richardson , Nikki Halle there is collins , murkowski  ,  cheney . both rices in the past couple admin , but what they all have in common is they did not cross over and become "UNlikable  to to those that have or could vote for them.

and keep trying to pidgeon holing me into some political box your comfortable with john , many have tried but all have failed .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.12  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tessylo @6.1.5    3 years ago

I wouldnt know , i didnt vote for the former occupant either time he was on the ballot.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.11    3 years ago

I'm only commenting on what you say here, not how you interpret your own comments. 

women across the country like it when a woman sticks it to the system/ good old boy network, happened with hillary , so much so she became unlikable and unelectable in the right/ wrong places and ended up losing .

is a rather straightforward assertion that doesnt require a lot of translation. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.14  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.13    3 years ago

and its a pretty true statement based on observation .

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.15  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.3    3 years ago
her crazy schemes like the Green New Deal have zero chance of passing.

Well first of all, it doesn't have to pass anything. Period

The text of the legislation, which is a nonbinding resolution , lays out a broad vision for how the country might tackle climate change over the next decade, while creating high-paying jobs and protecting vulnerable communities.

Unlike a bill, this type of legislation is not presented to the president and cannot become law. Even if the Green New Deal passed in one or both chambers of Congress, separate legislation would have to be introduced to make any of the resolution’s goals a reality.

Much of the response to the proposal has focused on details that don’t appear in the resolution text. President Donald Trump, for example, suggested on Feb. 9 in a tweet that the plan would “permanently eliminate all Planes, Cars, Cows, Oil, Gas & the Military.”

And he repeated that misinformation throughout the campaign as did Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity in their ongoing smear campaign against AOC.

Facts matter to most people.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6    3 years ago

I just can't believe the way you're putting her down and not a word about lying absolute worm Ted Cruz.

WTF do the Clintons have to do with this?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @6.2    3 years ago

perhaps he isn't talking about Cruz because he knows what the topic of this article is?

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.2.2  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.1    3 years ago
" ... he knows what the topic of this article is"

It's about his x-wives and the Clintons?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @6.2.2    3 years ago

Yeah, I didn't realize that the Clintons were the topic of the article!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @6.2.2    3 years ago

obviously the thought of reading the article never crossed your mind

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tessylo @6.2    3 years ago
I just can't believe the way you're putting her down and not a word about lying absolute worm Ted Cruz

Part of it IS the fact the article is about AOC, the majority of it is because Cruz means nothing to me because he represents neither me nor my state , it doesnt matter to me because his fate is in the hands of the voters of texas.

besides i am paying more attention to 2 other politicians not of my state to see how things work out for them ,not that they have any affect on my day to day existance either , im watch ing whats going on with newsoms recall in california , and whats going on with cuomo in NY with the allegations against him , far more interesting to me than some one in texas .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Hallux @6.2.2    3 years ago
It's about his x-wives and the Clintons

angain sorry to dissapoint , the clintons have been explained sufficiently , as for the claim of ex -wives , there is and only ever will be 1 , dissapointing i know  and since i was responding to someone that said dont think like a man , well there is only one other way of thinking in my world and thats like a woman  and decided to make light of it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.2.5    3 years ago

Whatever, your deflection and projection, as always, is duly noted

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tessylo @6.2.7    3 years ago

LMFAO , this is too easy and cheap entertainment to me. just like watching the political circus and forming opinions

and your dismissiveness of those you disagree with as always is noted no wonder some dont take you seriously.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.2.8    3 years ago

I know who doesn't take me seriously and I don't give a shit about them.  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tessylo @6.2.9    3 years ago

obviously , and back atcha.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.2.10    3 years ago

Blah, blah, blah . . . . 

Hallux
PhD Principal
7  Hallux    3 years ago

AOC? She's certainly caught the 'imagination' of those who have need of a squirrel.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    3 years ago

152439658_4838038932955789_2284248519085588043_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=YCBk6gsQ0tUAX9I01SQ&_nc_oc=AQmvyAWF2qc4-5smesurXs_EGR7vRJyE0B2vNaOXgQGPnEQQole3AEH9W4vTtGbdC9w&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=71baab2ac543d6a9feda9b7814b776d2&oe=605B6DF8