Netflix is testing a crackdown on password sharing

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  one month ago  •  6 comments

By:   NBC News

Netflix is testing a crackdown on password sharing
About 33 percent of all Netflix users share their password with at least one other person, according to research firm Magid.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

About 33 percent of all Netflix users share their password with at least one other person, according to research firm Magid. Netflix's basic plan costs $8.99 per month. The company's standard plan is $13.99 per month, which allows users to watch Netflix on two screens at the same time. Historically, Netflix hasn't done much to stop password-sharing, as strong growth in subscriber numbers and its stock price offset any concerns about lost revenue.

Netflix announced earlier this year it topped 200 million global subscribers, but shares have underperformed the S&P 500 this year as investors have moved away from growth stocks. Netflix must also fend off a slew of new streamers -- including Disney+, AT&T's HBO Max, NBCUniversal's Peacock and ViacomCBS's Paramount+ -- to ensure users aren't moving to competitive services. NBCUniversal is the parent company of NBC News.

Alex Sherman, CNBC

Alex Sherman covers technology, media and telecommunications for CNBC.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

SteevieGee
Junior Silent
1  SteevieGee    one month ago

I've been using my daughter's netflix account for years.  I hope they don't cut me off.  If they do I probably wouldn't get my own account because I don't watch it very much.  My daughter pays extra for me in the form of an extra device so, if they cut me off they probably would make less money.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Sophomore Principal
1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  SteevieGee @1    one month ago

Similar here. My parents have Netflix, I have Prime, my bestie has Hulu, and my uncle has Disney +. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

If I could no longer use my parent's account, I wouldn't pay either. I would deal without it. Just like you, I barely watch it.

Besides, on my Prime, I can download my favorite channel apps and while yes, there's still commercials, it's limited compared to cable.

Ender
PhD Principal
2  Ender    one month ago

Have to pay extra to watch on two screens?

Fuck that. They can kiss my ass.

There is enough bullshit I can watch for free.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    one month ago

I have had Netflix off and on for years.  It is by far the biggest source for entertainment video outside of You Tube.  What is good about all the entertainment streaming companies is that you can go back and forth between having them and not having them, it is all on a month by month basis. Since no one could possibly , or want to, watch all this stuff. I usually rotate between Netflix , Hulu, HBO Max , Prime, and CBS All Access (now Paramount + )  having no more than two of them at a time. Peacock, which is a free streaming channel, also has a lot of content. 

It is not a surprise that people share passwords. Netflix should just let it go. 

zuksam
Sophomore Silent
3.1  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @3    one month ago
Netflix should just let it go

They should think twice. I use my sisters account and a few months ago she asked me how often I watched I told her all the time. She said she hadn't been watching much and had been thinking of getting rid of it but since I was still watching she said she'd keep it. I think a lot of their customers will see it as value lost if close family members are tossed off. I'm sure when my niece heads off to college she'll be using the same password so I don't know if they officially allow that either. If I lose it I'd probably do like you and rotate memberships because right now I have Netflix, HBO Max, and my Prime account but I find myself waiting for new stuff every month. I've seen most of the things I want to watch on these services already so I could rotate every five or six months and still get what's new plus I could rotate in some of the other services I've never had before. I have to keep the prime though it pays for itself in free two day shipping but I should pay yearly because I think you save like 25 bucks over month to month. Nope just checked and it's 119.00 a year Vs.12.99 a month so 11 bucks cheaper.

zuksam
Sophomore Silent
3.1.1  zuksam  replied to  zuksam @3.1    one month ago

Oops bad math! 12 x12.99 not 10x so it's 155.88 so 36.88 cheaper to pay yearly.