╌>

GOP senator says he may have felt unsafe if BLM, Antifa had stormed Capitol

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   Tal Axelrod (TheHill)

GOP senator says he may have felt unsafe if BLM, Antifa had stormed Capitol
"Even though those thousands of people were marching on the Capitol were trying to pressure people like me to vote the way they wanted me to vote, I knew those were people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, so I wasn't concerned," he continued. "So had the tables been turned, Joe, this could mean trouble. Had the tables been turned and President Trump won the election and those were tens of thousands of Black Lives Matter and...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"Senator Johnson's remarks are racist and unacceptable."

Sen. Ron Johnson said in an interview this week he did not feel unsafe during the Jan. 6 Capitol riot but might have if Black Lives Matter protesters and far-left "antifa" activists had demonstrated there, setting off a new wave of criticism.

"I've also been criticized because I made the comment on Jan. 6 - I never felt threatened, because I didn't," Johnson said Thursday on "The Joe Pags Show," referencing the insurrection that unsuccessfully sought to halt the certification of the Electoral College results.

"Even though those thousands of people were marching on the Capitol were trying to pressure people like me to vote the way they wanted me to vote, I knew those were people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, so I wasn't concerned," he continued.

"So had the tables been turned, Joe, this could mean trouble. Had the tables been turned and President Trump won the election and those were tens of thousands of Black Lives Matter and antifa protesters, I might have been a little concerned."

Johnson's remarks flew in the face of video showing pro-Trump rioters attacking police officers who were guarding the Capitol complex before the mob overran law enforcement and ransacked the building.

At least five people died from the riot, including a police officer. Two other officers who responded to the mob died by suicide in the following days, and about 140 officers were injured.

The statement echoed other comments Republicans had made trying to equate the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6 with Black Lives Matter protests that occurred over the summer. While many of the demonstrations against the police killings of Black Americans remained peaceful, some devolved into looting and violence.

Johnson's latest remarks set off a wave of recriminations, with critics calling his equivalence between the different groups racist.

"Senator Johnson's remarks are racist and unacceptable. There is nothing patriotic about storming the Capitol to attempt to overturn an election and murder elected officials. Apparently for Ron Johnson, simply being Black is a bigger offense than launching a violent insurrection. Ron Johnson is an embarrassment to the United States Senate and the state of Wisconsin. He needs to resign immediately," Jessica Floyd, president of Democratic super PAC American Bridge 21st Century, said in a statement Friday.

"What, white people love this country and Black people don't? That's exactly what he's saying," Wisconsin state Sen. LaTonya Johnson (D), who is Black, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Johnson responded to the criticism by noting the violence that stemmed from some protests last summer.

"Out of 7,750 protests last summer associated with BLM and Antifa, 570 turned into violent riots that killed 25 people and caused $1- $2 billion of property damage. That's why I would have been more concerned," Johnson said in a statement obtained by The Hill.

The senator appeared to be citing data from a report released by the nonprofit Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project in September. That report, which identified thousands of protests between May and August, found that more than 90 percent of demonstrations were nonviolent.

"Over 10,100 of these — or nearly 95% — involve peaceful protesters. Fewer than 570 — or approximately 5% — involve demonstrators engaging in violence," the report stated.

The criticism comes as Johnson mulls whether to run for reelection in 2022. He remains undecided, though said last week that retiring is "probably my preference now." His seat is expected to be heavily contested after President Biden won Wisconsin narrowly in November.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Ron Johnson is the new version of Strom Thurmond and Lester Maddox and that ilk. 

I am expecting his right arm to reflexively fly into a "Hail Trump" salute any minute now. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Speaking of Antifa....

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

Antifa, huh?  So you would be more sympathetic to fascists?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    3 years ago

What a scummy asshole!  [deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago
Why is it that all those who support the former occupant of the White House are such scummy assholes?

Birds of a feather???

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    3 years ago

"Senator Johnson's remarks are racist and unacceptable. There is nothing patriotic about storming the Capitol to attempt to overturn an election and murder elected officials. Apparently for Ron Johnson, simply being Black is a bigger offense than launching a violent insurrection. Ron Johnson is an embarrassment to the United States Senate and the state of Wisconsin. He needs to resign immediately," Jessica Floyd, president of Democratic super PAC American Bridge 21st Century, said in a statement Friday.

I find Johnson and anyone who agrees with him along with any supporters of any republicans who support him and who support the former occupant of the White House to be RACIST AND UNACCEPTABLE.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Yeah, it’s ludicrous to believe congressional republicans could be targeted for death by any supporter of the Democrats.  That would never, ever happen.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 years ago

Ron Johnson panders to "white supremacy" to an extent rarely seen among such high elected officials. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 years ago

I wouldn't go that far Sean.... There may be a handful on the far-left that would want to target republicans, but nothing on the scale of the Trump base you are "all in" with.

Always keep in mind that in all measurements there is always a margin of error.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law

Exsqueeze me?!?!?  Their "respect" included the death of one LEO, some of their seditious rioters (no loss), and thousands of dollars in damage due to their BREAKING THE FUCKING LAW.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    3 years ago
"that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law"

How anyone can say that shit after what happened - I just don't have the damned words.  Surreal.  Alternate universe/reality.  Denial.  

This asshole is the ultimate in denial/projection/whataboutism/hate/lies/complicit fucking asshole.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    3 years ago

I would think the damages were in the millions.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @5.3    3 years ago

Probably.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

I wonder if Mike Pence felt safe because it was Trump supporters threatening to lynch him?

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    3 years ago

he's been waiting on his knees outside mar-a-lago since CPAC ended.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @6.1    3 years ago

Isn't that something?  Still kissing that fat ass.  

Here's Pence and fat ass

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

They respect law enforcement. I'd say that's a frickin' lie based on their actions on 1/6/21.

But then again it's Ron Johnson who wouldn't know the truth if it hit him in the head.

Ron's whiteness is showing.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8  Gsquared    3 years ago

I guess he would have felt safe if the insurrectionists had this around his neck:

JBB
Professor Principal
9  JBB    3 years ago

Ender
Professor Principal
10  Ender    3 years ago

Nothing to see here folks.

Another typical day in gop land...

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    3 years ago
I knew those were people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, so I wasn't concerned," he continued

original

Policeman being "broken" in between the doors of the capitol by Trump supporters who love this country and respect its laws. See it and understand. /s

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12  bbl-1    3 years ago

Johnson is not an outlier in this current GOP.  He is more of the norm.  What we are witnessing and what the advent of Trumpism has provided is a resurgence of Antebellum thought in white America and the misguided, unfortunate use of christianity labeled as a religion to bolster that Antebellum thought.

Are there consequences with Antebellum for the future of America?  Only one---America will transform to a nuclear tipped 2nd world power.  And Janis Joplin's lyrics will be more true than ever--"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."

As far as Johnson, for reasons yet to be determined, he is still riding The Trump Train.  Could money, clean or otherwise, be a determinant factor?