Portland police arrest 100 protesters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  one month ago  •  35 comments

By:   Tal Axelrod (MSN)

Portland police arrest 100 protesters
Portland police arrested roughly 100 protesters Friday night amid a new wave of protests in the city.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Portland police arrested roughly 100 protesters Friday night amid a new wave of protests in the city.

© Getty Images Portland police arrest 100 protesters

Police said Saturday that the group began marching at roughly 9 p.m. local time and that some began smashing windows in the area roughly 15 minutes later. Protesters began throwing rocks and beer cans at law enforcement once police formed a perimeter, and officers deployed pepper spray to disperse the crowd.

"A police perimeter has been set up around a group. To everyone inside the perimeter: you are being detained for investigation of a crime. You are not free to leave. You must stay where you are and comply with officers' lawful orders," police warned as the clashes occurred.

A police perimeter has been set up around a group. To everyone inside the perimeter: you are being detained for investigation of a crime. You are not free to leave. You must stay where you are and comply with officers' lawful orders. (continued)
- Portland Police (@PortlandPolice) March 13, 2021

Of those arrested, 13 people were charged, including two people who were carrying firearms and wearing body armor and helmets.

Friday's demonstration marked the second consecutive night of protests, which have largely focused on the presence of Department of Homeland Security officers at the Federal Courthouse in downtown Portland.

Violence has spiked in the city after it experienced a lull in demonstrations since last summer, when demonstrations against police violence against people of color swept through the city. Those protests were sparked by the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis in May.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler (D) said Friday he's asking the city council for a one-time $2 million fund for police patrols in order to combat the rise in demonstrations.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    one month ago

Isn't it lovely to see all the peaceful protests continuing on?

And you really just got to love how the po-po manage to only arrest all the right wing "agitators" out of that whole mess of fine folks!

Looks like the mayor in Portland must have had some surgery to insert a spine into him!

SteevieGee
Junior Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @1    one month ago

Wait...  I thought they only arrested proud boys.  Turns out they've been arresting blm protesters all along.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    one month ago

I don't know. We have been told so often that only right wing agitators are instigating the riots and vandalism, that everyone else is just there to peacefully protest. Are you suggesting that isn't true anymore?

What is odd is the idiots elected in Portland decided to cut police funding. And then, a funny thing happened. Citizens decided that the police need to do more, so the mayor is having to beg the idiots for more money now.

Idiots electing idiots.

SteevieGee
Junior Silent
1.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    one month ago

If there's only one side it's a protest.  When someone arrives with the intention of silencing the protest it could turn into a riot.  If you throw a rock at nobody you're just throwing a rock.  What happened at the Capitol was a coup attempt.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.2    one month ago
If there's only one side it's a protest.

That's ridiculous.  A riot is a riot, period.

When someone arrives with the intention of silencing the protest it could turn into a riot. 

Perhaps you didn't read the article. The police only acted after acts of violence occurred.

What happened at the Capitol was a coup attempt.

WTF does that have to do with what happened in Portland last night?

MAGA
Senior Guide
1.1.4  MAGA  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    one month ago

that sums them up perfectly! And to think all that human debris up there is only 418 freeway miles away from me! Perish the thought...

MAGA
Senior Guide
1.1.5  MAGA  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    one month ago

Nothing but a diversion...

bugsy
PhD Guide
1.1.6  bugsy  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.2    one month ago
When someone arrives with the intention of silencing the protest it could turn into a riot. 

That's true. That's why we saw so many times over the past 4 years where Trump supporters held rallies or marches and were constantly accosted by ANTIFA and BLM.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Ed-NavDoc
Masters Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    one month ago

Yeah now he wants more money for the police department his worthless city council wanted to defund? Irony and hypocrisy anyone?

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
2  Thrawn 31    one month ago

God, what the fuck are these idiots even doing still? Seems to me like they are just getting together to go vandalize public/private property and nothing else.

Methinks some prison sentences need to start being handed out where applicable.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    one month ago

Gee, why do you want to punish peaceful protesters?

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    one month ago

Because they aren’t peaceful [deleted.] When you start vandalizing property and chucking things at law enforcement you are no longer a peaceful protester.

All that aside, dont these people have jobs or something?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    one month ago
Because they aren’t peaceful Removed for context - sandy

Your childish name-calling is uncalled for.

Stop doing it.

We have been told so many times that all the protests were peaceful, and any riots only occurred because of right wing agitators.

Are you saying people were lying when they said that?

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
2.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    one month ago
Your childish name-calling is uncalled for. Stop doing it.

[deleted]

I am saying that when you start vandalizing shit and throwing things at law enforcement you are no longer a peaceful protest and arrests need to be made and charges filed when applicable. I didn’t think that was difficult to understand.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
2.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    one month ago

My own experience in Portland is that there aren't any real jobs.

I know several families with 20 somethings or 30 somethings still living at home, not making enough to move out.

That's what these protests attract. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Participates
3  Sean Treacy    one month ago

And if any are charged by the feds, the Biden doj will let the domestic terrorist walk. They’ve already dropped a whole host of charges against prior arrestees.

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
3.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    one month ago

Sources?

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
3.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    one month ago

Charges need to be brought, not dismissed. And only one of those looked like it was worth taking a look at, and of course as soon as I came across the “let’s blame that dirty Jew Soros” line I stopped reading.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
3.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.2    one month ago

In Portland and the two Counties that support it, there aren't enough jail cells,

first because the Counties lost to the inmates in court for overcrowding,

Then again a second time due to Covid which caused more restrictions on how many inmates they can house

and naturally only the most violent crimes are punished.

There is a private prison finished but the County won't commit to long term contracts.

So the young men are emboldened because they know that at worst they will be free to go home or to work the next day.

It's a mess.

MAGA
Senior Guide
3.2  MAGA  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    one month ago

And Harris bailed a bunch of them out of jail over the late spring and summer.

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
3.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  MAGA @3.2    one month ago

[Deleted]

Ender
PhD Principal
4  Ender    one month ago

Weird that it doesn't even really say who these people are.

I am guessing antifa people.

MAGA
Senior Guide
4.1  MAGA  replied to  Ender @4    one month ago

Them and BLM though in Portland it’s mostly Antifa.  

Split Personality
PhD Principal
4.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  MAGA @4.1    one month ago

BS.  It's proud Boys vs the rest.

Ronin2
Senior Quiet
5  Ronin2    one month ago

Guess the Portland Mayor doesn't like the protesters (read rioters) now that Biden is president. They were only a useful tool to make Trump look bad. Too bad their leftist Brown Shirts don't seem to be listening to them.

Ender
PhD Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @5    one month ago

From what I gather, this is not BLM.

Believe it or not, I know a lot of leftist people that do not like antifa.

The protests this summer had nothing to do with donald.

Ronin2
Senior Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @5.1    one month ago

Funny I don't remember mentioning a certain faction. Antifa and BLM do seem to ride in many of the same circles; and BLM isn't exactly known for being non violent either.

Never let a good crisis go to waste. The inaction by Democratic governors and mayors to stop the protests (riots) had everything to do with Trump. Trump's biggest problem was trying to stop destruction of federal property in Democratic bastions of stupidity; instead of just letting them burn- and forcing the cities/states to foot the bill. Of course Biden and the Democrats made sure to take care of themselves in their latest porkulus covid 19 bill. Seems we all get to pay a portion of fixing their mistakes.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
6  Tacos!    one month ago
Portland police arrested roughly 100 protesters

At least they know how. I was starting to wonder. But will the government follow through with prosecutions?

Of those arrested, 13 people were charged

13 out of 100? That's not a strong start. Probably by close of business on Tuesday, most or all cases will have been dismissed. The really bad ones might have to pick up trash for a day. Then they'll be at it again.

MAGA
Senior Guide
6.1  MAGA  replied to  Tacos! @6    one month ago

They likely have a Soros backed DA up there that is anti law enforcement 

Thomas
Freshman Guide
6.1.1  Thomas  replied to  MAGA @6.1    one month ago

Could anyone say anything more stupid than this quote:

They likely have a Soros backed DA up there that is anti law enforcement 

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
6.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Thomas @6.1.1    one month ago

Yeah, that is an incredibly dumb thing to say,  [Deleted]

Thomas
Freshman Guide
6.1.3  Thomas  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1.2    one month ago

Not only the Soros part of it, but when was the last time you heard of an anti law enforcement DA???

Sean Treacy
Professor Participates
6.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @6.1.3    one month ago

Are you serious?

Look at Los Angeles. 

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
6.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Thomas @6.1.3    one month ago

Lol fucking never. They are all about conviction rates, that is how they move in up either in law enforcement or politics.