╌>

GOP Says Dream Act Incentivizes Border Surge After Joe Biden Accused of Inviting Crisis

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   James Walker (MSN)

GOP Says Dream Act Incentivizes Border Surge After Joe Biden Accused of Inviting Crisis
Republican lawmakers warned that the bill would deal "permanent damage" to the U.S. immigration system.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Republicans have said a new immigration bill offering a pathway to citizenship for millions of undocumented migrants will only deepen the ongoing border crisis and further incentivize illegal immigration.

© John Moore/Getty Images Asylum seekers attend a meeting at an immigrant shelter on March 16, 2021 in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

After the House passed the American Dream and Promise Act in a near party-line vote on Thursday night, Republican lawmakers in the lower chamber warned that the move would deal "permanent damage" to the U.S. immigration system.

The new bill offers undocumented migrants who arrived in the U.S. as children, a group known as Dreamers, a new pathway to citizenship for at least the next ten years, so long as they pass background checks and meet education and employment conditions.

Migrants with temporary protected status will be offered a similar pathway to citizenship, so long as they apply for permanent resident status within three years of the bill's passage.

Although the bill has no direct impact on current border enforcement, Republicans argue that the generous offer will only encourage a greater flow of migrants to the southern border.

Posting on social media, Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) said he voted against the bill because it would "intensify" the ongoing border crisis. "This bill does PERMANENT damage to our nations immigration system & security," he added.

"As the crisis at our southern border continues to grow, Democrats passed legislation this afternoon that further incentivizes illegal immigration," Rep. Chris Jacobs (R-NY) tweeted. "I opposed H.R. 6 because we cannot continue to put off strong border security measures and encourage unlawful entry."

The freshman congresswoman Lauren Boebert (R-CO) called the bill "unbelievable," and said Democrats were trying to fix the border problem by incentivizing more illegal migration into the U.S.

"Immigrants who came to our country illegally must be sent home & go through the legal process for reentry," Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-TN) tweeted last night. "Any sort of exception to this rule is not only unconstitutional but also unfair to the millions of people going through the proper legal channels to enter the U.S."

The American Dream and Promise Act was opposed by most GOP lawmakers, but nine Republicans did split with their party and vote with Democrats, bringing the final vote tally to 228-197.

It is expected that the bill will be met with opposition in the Senate. The entire Democratic caucus will have to vote for the bill, along with 10 Republican lawmakers, for the migration reforms to land on President Joe Biden's desk.

Reacting to the House vote last night, Biden said the bill was a "critical first step" in reforming the immigration system, and argued that it would provide "much needed relief" to Dreamers and TPS holders. The president backed the bill as his administration refused to recognize that a "crisis" was unfolding at the U.S.-Mexico border, despite officials reporting a surge in crossing attempts.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Democrats pass legislation to "fix" a "crisis" they won't admit to due to THEIR policies.

Brilliant!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

OMG!  This is the worst setback for white supremacy since Reagan's amnesty policy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    3 years ago
removed for context

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago

removed for context by charger

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.2    3 years ago

removed for context by charger

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    3 years ago

Shouldn't the original message be removed

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

No more amnesty!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    3 years ago

There seems to always be yet another amnesty. 

And people in other parts of the world know it.

Just get here--legally or illegally--and you will be treated favorably. In fact, come here illegally and avoid the hassles that law-abiding folks have to put up with!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

When the DHS chief says that the United States “will not expel” immigrant children if they are sent to the border unaccompanied",  you can bet they will be sent. Millions of people in the third world would love to live in the US - so desperately, it seems, that they would send their children alone on a perilous journey through Mexico.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    3 years ago

Democrats should have just got a huge discount on bulk engraved invitations!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

It's a very sinister thing they are doing. It's all about replacing America's voters.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.1.4  Gazoo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    3 years ago

“Millions of people in the third world would love to live in the US“

Makes no sense when one realizes the US is “systemically racist”. [deleted]

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

Ya know it would seem that sooner or later the American government would pull their head out of their ass and actually do some planning on shit when they make huge sweeping bills. 

We've seen this "unprepared for the consequences" shit over and over.

In my book immigration and the border on going crisis on the part of the US government really does get the DUUUuu

What a lack of Planning .... done by idiots on both sides over and over.

Responsibility has benefits, Irresponsibility has consequences. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4  evilone    3 years ago

Neither the path for citizenship for Dreamers from the Dems nor the faux outrage from conservatives is unexpected. My personal opinion is that those on the Dreamer's list today should just be made citizens. No "path" no dicking around. Just do it as they've been used as political pawns for too long. As far as continuing immigration - our currently system has been broken for decades and no one really wants to fix it. It's too big a wedge issue and the "sides" are too opposed to do anything constructive. 

I will say the AG sector is getting a big hand from Dems on the migrant farm workers bill. It will be super popular with Dems and farmers, but the Republicans will oppose it because they oppose everything the Dems do (and vice versa).

Sophomore Guide
4.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  evilone @4    3 years ago
My personal opinion is that those on the Dreamer's list today should just be made citizens. No "path" no dicking around. Just do it as they've been used as political pawns for too long.

I kinda of agree, there probably should be a benefit that comes out of our governments ineptness.

But I think the dreamers should have to register and have "papers" "Papers" like we all do with personal information recorded like place of birth, age, current residence, and the ever disputed personal ID.

They should also be issued some sort of a Social security number and card and their names and information be entered into the IRS files. 

Any criminal records of course should be entered into public record as well. 

But Yes it's time. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.2  zuksam  replied to  evilone @4    3 years ago

Let's secure the Border first then we can talk about amnesty. Every amnesty so far has come with unfulfilled promises of securing the border, No more lies secure the border.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  zuksam @4.2    3 years ago

Securing the border isn't something Democrats are interested in.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  zuksam @4.2    3 years ago
Let's secure the Border first then we can talk about amnesty.

Sounds like a responsible plan to me. WTF it never seems to with our politicians does suck though. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.3  evilone  replied to  zuksam @4.2    3 years ago
Let's secure the Border first...

Without completely militarizing our border, which would require changing our Constitution and a serious raise in taxation to pay for it, there is no such thing as securing the border. The patchwork of boarder fencing is a joke and a waste of tax payer money. The non-human elements we've been sold by contractors clearly isn't working either. We need a system that incentives people to go through the proper channels.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.1    3 years ago
Securing the border isn't something Democrats are interested in

It would be nice if the dems didn't seem to want the votes and just as nice if it didn't seem that the reps want to restrict voters.

Both these days as pointed out to me several times are just a pipedream though. 

Sad though cause I like my pipedreams of responsibility and cooperation. ..lol 

O I know restrict voters of Illegals, and dems don't need the votes... Yeah yeah yeah 

Heard the story many times not much has changed. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @4.2.3    3 years ago
We need a system that incentives people to go through the proper channels.

Now THAT, we have. Come here legally, stay here legally, and enjoy America.

What we really need is a disincentive to those willing to break our laws as their very first act on American soil. That, and no rewards such as amnesty.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.5    3 years ago
Now THAT, we have. Come here legally, stay here legally, and enjoy America. What we really need is a disincentive to those willing to break our laws as their very first act on American soil. That, and no rewards such as amnesty.

I don't know a great deal about immigration, But IMO: The laws and how we handle immigrants seems pretty unstable, not up to the job and any changes made are never planned for worth a shit by either party. 

It's no wonder our system is a mess. In Fact many of our government systems and departments would probably be much better off without our politicians always thinking they had the power to make huge changes without significant planning First. 

Responsibility has benefits , Irresponsibility has consequences. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.6    3 years ago

We should have never granted the first amnesty, or any subsequent ones.

It sends the wrong message to people wanting to come here.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.8  Ronin2  replied to  evilone @4.2.3    3 years ago

Or we could simply pull our troops out of all of our ungrateful allies' countries; and every 3rd world shithole we leave them in forever as living targets.

That would free up a ton of money; and give us the the resources to properly secure our borders.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.7    3 years ago
We should have never granted the first amnesty, or any subsequent ones. It sends the wrong message to people wanting to come here.

I think we needed to do something with the children that were brought here before they themselves had the choice and end that practice without authorizing either the whole family to be here legally or none of the family keeping their family together as one either way. 

All children appearing at our border alone should try to be united with their family from the country that allowed them to get to our border to begin with and not let in. 

Other that that any illegal immigrant should be returned to the country that allowed them to get to our border as well. 

IMO: WE already have immigration laws and policies on our books inforce what's there and IF there are changes to be made, PLAN on WTF is needed Before the policies are changed or new laws are enacted. 

These unplanned horribly executed policy changes affect too many humans including American citizens and this erratic system of immigration and border patrol has been an ongoing nightmare for far too damn long.  

To me the really sad part outside of the human cost of suffering is the incompetence of our elected officials to even PLAN on what is needed to get this right. 

sad

Sophomore Guide
4.2.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.9    3 years ago

Furthermore, If we don't allow any immigration that is bad for us, IF we restrict immigration too much only the most desperate and unethical immigrants will make it in illegally. 

IF our immigration laws as the stand are OK, leave them alone !

Sophomore Guide
4.2.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.8    3 years ago

Part of our defence of our borders has been helping shithole countries close to us logistically to be less of a shithole country in order to minimize their peoples numbers from trying to come here to begin with. 

If we turn our back on that I'd expect them to do no more to help our border situation as well.

Are WE the American people willing, ready and able to deal with taking on our border protection without any outside assistance ?

If we are we may have lots of death on our border. Americans do not like lots of death on our doorstep though So..  

I'd say working with the shithole countries to minimize our border problem has been and is a good thing. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.12  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.8    3 years ago
Or we could simply pull our troops out of all of our ungrateful allies' countries; and every 3rd world shithole we leave them in forever as living targets.

Your kitchen table diplomacy is noted. It's short sighted, xenophobic and unworkable for a world power. If we took your advice we'd be the next 3rd world shithole, because no one would trade with us, our economy would crash and all but the most poor would move to immigrate out.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.13  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.5    3 years ago
Now THAT, we have.

No we don't or we wouldn't have a problem with undocumented immigration.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.14  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @4.2.13    3 years ago

our problem with illegal aliens is sanctuary states, counties. and cities and horribly overloaded court systems.

all illegal aliens should be returned.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.15  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.14    3 years ago
all illegal aliens should be returned

That would be ideal, however the amount of people that have been here illegally some for a long long time with many roots here and some that actually served in our military make kicking out every person here illegally illogical, too overwhelming and really just not feasible. 

Taking in mind the easiest to kick out would be the most cooperative and probably the best people in this class. The last to find and to go would of course be the worst and the richest. 

I do agree that any illegal person here convicted of a major crime and after serving their sentence be deported. as I think we  already do.  

Set a reasonable date not too far past and make that the dividing line. Like perhaps 6 months or a year. 

Then Protect the hell out of the border and clean up this long term mess. Lots of money here $$$$$$  

Border fencing and lots, lots and lots of manpower, agents, jails and judges needed !!  Especially initially. 

Either way Americas never really have wanted to spend the money to do this job right. That is the real problem. 

Most problems Can be solved with enough money. But it's a long border and lots of people want in. $$$$$$$$

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.2.16  zuksam  replied to  evilone @4.2.3    3 years ago
Without completely militarizing our border, which would require changing our Constitution and a serious raise in taxation to pay for it,

This is not true we have the right to protect our border and use the military to do it. The easiest and cheapest thing to do is to militarize the border. Build walls in and around populated areas and let the border patrol police those areas and let the military patrol the rural areas. It would kill two birds with one stone since Border security would be great training for the soldiers. We pay soldiers to train and pretend to do pretty much the same things already so on the border we could actually get extra value out of that training. Not to mention soldiers make a hell of a lot less money than Border patrol agents or ICE. Hell I wouldn't mind riding a quad around the desert chasing illegals for a couple years even if I wasn't paid that well. I wouldn't want to do it for my whole life but a couple years would be cool. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago

I’d be fine with some kind of dream act. Kids have no control over the adults who drag them to this country. But it’s irresponsible until you get better control of the illegal aliens. Otherwise, the problem never goes away. Pass a Dream act today without controlling who comes here or stays illegally, and we’ll just be debating another one in 10 years.

Sophomore Guide
5.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago
But it’s irresponsible until you get better control of the illegal aliens.

I fully agree.

That's always been the problem with border patrol and immigration . An utter LACK of planning. 

That and a willingness to spend a shitload of time, effort and money to do the job correctly !! 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.1    3 years ago

And you live where Steve?  I'm quite sure you have a lot of CBP folks in your town telling you 'bout all their duties/activities, etc., right?

Sophomore Guide
5.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.1    3 years ago
And you live where Steve?  I'm quite sure you have a lot of CBP folks in your town telling you 'bout all their duties/activities, etc., right?

I live in Glendale (part of Phoenix) never meet a CBP person but I really don't see what that has to do with seeing my problem with our politicians not planning in detail how all the agencies involved in border patrol and immigration  control operates.

I'm sure the day to day ground operations are much better thought out than our politicians think shit out though, if that's the avenue you are talking about. 

I have faith in the police and border patrol to do their job when they have the resources and leadership. 

My problem is with the inept planning our politicians never seem to do when it comes to either immigration and or the border security. 

On BOTH sides !

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago

Disagree with that Tacos.  The vast majority of those "kids" have been in the states for over 10 years and all of them should have known that they were brought here Illegally.  They have known for 10 years or more that they were in the U.S. Illegally and, I'll bet you a dime to a donut, that few, IF ANY, have even attempted to gain their citizenship through the proper channels.  FEW.

I'm not for rewarding lazy, "let's see how I can get this one through the cracks", people who want AND EXPECT to have everything handed to them - freely.

If you didn't make the effort - go back to your country of origin - because you are an Illegal Alien who is violating Federal Law - period.

Sophomore Guide
5.2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  1stwarrior @5.2    3 years ago

1st, I agree with much of your post, I too expect people to earn what they have and get.  

Unfortunately we are talking about a very complicated issue with many many different parts. 

As with most major problems this is not a one reason, a one sided or even is there a reasonable one way solution to these major problems.

Like you I think that FEW illegals have tried to become legal, mostly I'd imagine for the most part the majority have tried to fly under the radar as much as possible. 

Just for some context I smoked marijuana before it was legal to do so myself. I did so actually for my own preservation, my entire family are now dead alcoholics and having the alternative helped me to not drink. 

I tell you that because although marijuana was illegal I constantly broke the law to survive to a degree. During that time I was Afraid to speak out to try to move the legalization of marijuana use forward out of fear of arrest and prosecution. 

I don't doubt that some if not many illegals may have done more to work themselves toward legalization IF they didn't fear that that in itself would lead to their arrest and departure and posible bar from legal entity for years to come. 

Unfortunately as we both know the reasons they want to come here varies from wanting money to saving their own life. 

One size really doesn't fit all... it's way too complicated.

This is why we hire politicians and federal advisers and lots and lots of federal agencies, they just can't seem to get together long enough to actually form a detailed plan to fix it all that is agreed upon. Insted we are still going back and forth and the problem remains.. a problem neither party seems to be able to fix long term.

"I too expect people to earn what they have and get."

sad 

Here's a link I looked at before I wrote my post back.

s://gldlaw.com/undocumented-immigrants-how-to-get-legal-status-in-the-united-states/

PS: IF our politicians could actually agree on a reasonable solution Together and stick to it I think  we could solve a lot of this mess. 

The way it is we go back and forth and back and forth with immigration and we all pay. 

Sophomore Guide
5.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.2.1    3 years ago

LOL .. I know .... Fuck that , they're illegal.  jrSmiley_27_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  1stwarrior @5.2    3 years ago
The vast majority of those "kids" have been in the states for over 10 years and all of them should have known that they were brought here Illegally. 

I understand that, but what is a kid (or someone brought here as a kid) supposed to do about it? I doubt most of them have a place they could go to in Mexico. For most of them, the United States is their home. Mexico may not even consider them citizens. I'm no expert on Mexican law, but I know that a lot of countries don't just bestow citizenship on a person simply by virtue of being born in the country. The government expects them to live there for some significant period of time. Some of these kids may literally not be a a citizen of any country.

I'll bet you a dime to a donut, that few, IF ANY, have even attempted to gain their citizenship through the proper channels.

I'm sure that's true, but a lot of these people are going to be too afraid of being deported if they shake the tree of the government bureaucracy. 

I wouldn't necessarily make them citizens right away. I'd start them as Lawful Permanent Residents, subject to deportation on the usual grounds. That is assuming we can establish that they actually have citizenship in some other country. If they don't, I don't know how we could deport them to any particular place because they might not have a right to be anywhere else.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @5.2.3    3 years ago

I wish I could vote that up several times.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    3 years ago
Between 1892 and 1954, more than twelve million immigrants passed through the U.S. immigration portal at Ellis Island, enshrining it as an icon of America's welcome. That story is well known. But Ellis was also a place of detainment and deportation, an often-heartbreaking counterpoint to the joy and relief of coming to America

Quick, Fateful Exams
New arrivals were processed quickly. In the Registry Room, Public Health Service doctors looked to see if any of them wheezed, coughed, shuffled or limped. Children were asked their names to make sure they weren't deaf or dumb. Toddlers were taken from their mothers' arms and made to walk. As the line moved forward, doctors had only a few seconds to check each immigrant for sixty symptoms of disease. Of primary concern were cholera, favus (scalp and nail fungus), tuberculosis, insanity, epilepsy, and mental impairments. The disease most feared was trachoma, a highly contagious eye infection that could lead to blindness and death.

Hospital Wards
Once registered, immigrants were free to enter the New World and start their new lives. But if they were sick, they spent days, weeks, months even, in a warren of rooms. Some, like the tuberculosis ward, were open to the sea, where a gentle New York harbor breeze cleansed their lungs, improving their chances. Other rooms were solitary, forlorn places where the illness itself decided when to leave or stay. Most patients in the hospital or Contagious Disease Ward recovered, but some were not so lucky. More than 120,000 immigrants were sent back to their countries of origin, and during the island's half-century of operation more than 3,500 immigrants died there.

Detainees
Ellis Island waylaid certain arrivals, including those likely to become public charges, such as unescorted women and children. Women could not leave Ellis Island with a man not related to them. Other detainees included stowaways, alien seamen, anarchists, Bolsheviks, criminals and those judged to be "immoral." Approximately 20 percent of immigrants inspected at Ellis Island were temporarily detained, half for health reasons and half for legal reasons.

Why should there not be an Ellis Island like facility along the southern border?