╌>

Vice President Kamala Harris to lead White House efforts to stem migration at the border

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  34 comments

By:   Rebecca Morin (MSN)

Vice President Kamala Harris to lead White House efforts to stem migration at the border
Harris under her new role will be working on establishing a partnership with Mexico, and the northern triangle of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON - As the Biden administration continues to grapple with the growing number of unaccompanied migrant children at the border, Vice President Kamala Harris will be leading U.S. efforts to stem migration at the southern border, President Joe Biden announced Wednesday.

Harris under her new role will be working on establishing a partnership with Mexico, and the northern triangle of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador to stem the flow of migrants to the U.S.

"There's no question that this is a challenging situation," Harris said in remarks ahead of a meeting with Biden, Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas on Wednesday. "While we are clear that people should not come to the border now, we also understand that we will enforce the law, and that we also, because we can chew gum and walk at the same time, must address the root causes that cause people to make the trek."

An increased number of children are being accepted into the U.S., leading to overcrowding in short-term, jail-like facilities run by Customs and Border Protection. The Biden administration has struggled to move children quickly out of those facilities and into those run by the Department of Health and Human Services. By law, children are supposed to be moved out of CBP facilities within 72 hours.

As of Tuesday, Health and Human Services has 11,350 unaccompanied minors in its care.

Biden praised Harris Wednesday during the announcement, saying he "can think of nobody who is better qualified to do this."

"When she speaks, she speaks for me, doesn't have to check with me," Biden said of Harris. "She knows what she's doing, and I hope we can move this along."

During an interview with CBS This Morning on Wednesday, Harris said the administration is facing a "huge problem" at the border. Biden administration officials have avoided using the term "crisis" to describe what is happening at the border.

"It's a huge problem. I'm not going to pretend it's not. It's a huge problem," Harris said. "Are we looking at overcrowding at the border? Particularly of these kids? Yes. Should these kids be in the custody of HHS… instead of the patrol? Yes. Should we be processing these cases faster? Yes."

"This is, however, not going to be solved overnight," she added.

The Biden administration has faced criticism from Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill for its response to the situation at the border. The White House has also been criticized for a lack of media access to the facilities.

White House officials and members of Congress visited a holding facility in Carrizo Springs, Texas, on Wednesday. One network, NBC, accompanied the officials on their trip.

The trip comes one day after the Biden administration released photos and videos of Customs and Border Protection overflow facilities in Donna, Texas, and El Paso, Texas.

The Biden administration has been in contact with Mexico and Central American countries to discuss solutions for the increase of migrants at the border.

Earlier this week, Roberta Jacobson, special assistant to the president and coordinator for the southwest border, traveled to meet with Mexican government officials to discuss the situation at the border.

Juan Gonzalez, special assistant to the president and senior director for the Western Hemisphere, and Ricardo Zuniga, the State Department's northern triangle special envoy, traveled to Guatemala to meet with government officials and NGOs in the country to discuss how to address the "root causes of migration in the region and build a more hopeful future in the region."

Although the White House is struggling to handle the increase in migrants at the border, surges are typical and have happened in past years such as in 2019 and 2014.

Many migrants were left in limbo under the Trump administration due to several policies like Title 42, which is still in place, and the Migrant Protection Protocol, which forced migrants to wait in Mexico for their immigration hearings. Many of those migrants are now trying to cross into the U.S.

In addition, spring time is typically when the U.S. sees an increased number of migrants coming to the U.S.-Mexico border, as conditions are easier to travel in. Many migrants coming from Central American countries are faced with political and economic turmoil in their countries, as well as gang violence.

Last year, the region was hit by two hurricanes that displaced many in Central America. That has caused some to make the trek to the U.S.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Vice President Kamala Harris to lead White House efforts to stem migration at the border

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Rest easy now, America, VP Harris is on the job.

The crisis which isn't really a crisis according to the Administration will soon be solved magically by her making agreements with countries south of us. Gee, why didn't anyone ever think of THAT before?

What's that?

We HAD agreements in place to help stem the tide?

Oh, never mind---those agreements weren't made by a Democrat.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago
those agreements weren't made by a Democrat.

That's probably why they were working.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @1.1    3 years ago

Biden couldn't stand the thought of not letting everyone in, so he changed the policies rather quickly.

Now HE owns the crisis he won't admit exists.

I wonder why Wonderwoman Harris is being deployed?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago
We HAD agreements in place to help stem the tide? Oh, never mind---those agreements weren't made by a Democrat.

In November of 2020 the Trump Administration lost it's Public Health policy law suit by the ACLU.

The Judge ordered the Admin to stop expelling unaccompanied children. 

Like it or not the Biden Administration inherited that ruling and must follow the law.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    3 years ago

That case has nothing to do with the negotiated agreements Biden tore up.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    3 years ago

Why so far off topic?

Biden and his Admin. OWN this shit show now.

Biden's policies.

Biden's problems.

Trying to deflect from what everyone else was discussing is weak.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.1    3 years ago
That case has nothing to do with the negotiated agreements Biden tore up.

I hope he already knows that, but I have my doubts.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.3    3 years ago

We have a treaty with Canada. The previous Admin didn't want to go through Congress which upset both sides.

As he was inclined to do, Trump penned his own non binding agreements.

Let's see if the new Admin tries that and see how loudly Congress complains this time.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.1    3 years ago

We wouldn't be absorbing unaccompanied children and there would not be a "crisis" now

would there?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.4    3 years ago

Funny as HELL that anyone on the left would willingly choose to talk about treaties after the "Iran Nuclear Agreement" never went through Congress.

Biden could have just as easily left Trump's agreements in place until he negotiated his own, but, instead, he shitcanned them because, well, of course,---TRUMP!!!!!!!

You may as well get used to this idea--this is BIDEN'S problem, much of it a problem o f his own making.

Let's see what his highly-vaunted VP actually accomplishes. I'm betting next to nothing.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.5    3 years ago

Again, the crisis the Biden Admin. refuses to acknowledge is Biden's problem.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.5    3 years ago

We wouldn't be absorbing unaccompanied children and there would not be a "crisis" now

You are correct. if Biden had not torn up the agreements we negotiated with other countries, there would not be a crisis now. But knowing how the Court ruled, Biden went ahead and tore up the agreements, letting minors reach the border and creating the crisis.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.9  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    3 years ago

Your continued use of that "story" is inaccurate to a point.  Yeah, Sullivan said don't do it - but Sullivan's influence/jurisdiction is within the District of Columbia - period.  That's why they're called District Courts because their jurisdiction is strictly within their district.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.10  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    3 years ago

the only real crisis in the US is the number of domestic terrorists in the GOP...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.10    3 years ago

Please stick to the topic.

Domestic terrorism is NOT the subject here, and had you bothered to read the article, you would have known that.

Thanks.

Please do not flag a comment for being off topic then respond to it.  Thanks SP

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.12  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.11    3 years ago

Off topic per seeder  SP

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.13  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2.12    3 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.14  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2.13    3 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago
Rest easy now, America, VP Harris is on the job.

nice to finally have a VP that isn't a spineless thumper with a dollar store price tag on his character and integrity.

funny how the short term memory loss party forgets that the crisis was greater in 2019. 2 0 1 9 ...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.3    3 years ago

Why, are you admitting that there is now a crisis?

Even though Biden won't admit to it?

We'll see what Wonder Woman can actually accomplish.

Perfect set-up for Biden, he can shove all the responsibility onto her and let her take the blame when it all blows up.

She won't do shit.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Looks like she is in training for when Biden is forced out

bugsy
Professor Participates
2  bugsy    3 years ago

Well, this will certainly be a disaster.

Libs, here is your chance to take in an illegal (or a hundred) you revere so much.

There will probably be millions more here than what are already.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

It's all on you Kamala!  Joe Biden is practicing for his press conference tomorrow.  You have only hours to figure out how to tell people that the border is wide open with migrants being put into hotels and moved around the country.  Don't cackle!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Great, put the person in charge who a few days ago said she couldn't comment on the border situation because she had no knowledge of it.

Just seems like a dodge so Biden can punt the subject in his press conference and stick to the bragging and generalized bromides which is as far as his abilities let him go. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 years ago

And that is giving him too much credit.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

My question is why didn't our government,,, Biden know and understand what changing their/his policies on immigration would do ?

Now we play catch up, fix the problem and evidently the real planning and work to actually prepare for the change is beginning. 

Better late than never eh ? 

Sad !

This all gets my  DUuuu ... 

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5    3 years ago
My question is why didn't our government,,, Biden know and understand what changing their/his policies on immigration would do ?

I believe Biden knew all along what his policies would bring. He just didn't care--he had to erase some Trump legacy.

Plus, that many unaccompanied minors are sympathetic, so of course he would want to exploit that sympathy to further his legislative goals regarding immigration.

And now we get to see what miracles Harris can perform.

I'll bet good money on whatever "solution" she comes up with will have a hefty price tag and do virtually nothing to stem the tide of immigrants coming legally and illegally.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2  Split Personality  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5    3 years ago

Do you remember how cooperative the outgoing Administration was and how closely they worked with Biden?

No, I don't remember that either.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    3 years ago

At least they didn't sic the FBI on them!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    3 years ago
Do you remember how cooperative the outgoing Administration was and how closely they worked with Biden?

More deflection???????

Tsk, tsk.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.1    3 years ago

Do we know that for sure?  Have you seen Bill Barr's notes?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    3 years ago

Oh.. Poor Biden. Over his head and apparently surprised that we have an illegal immigration problem.  What's next? Biden being baffled that we have a deficit because Trump didn't explain it to him?

How bad have things gotten when a guy who has been in Washington longer than most people have been alive has to fall back on "Trump didn't hold my hand so I don't what to do with a well known issue I campaigned on" card?  If only he had experience....

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.2.5  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    3 years ago

You remember how cooperative the outgoing Obama Administration worked with Trump?  

Nah, I didn't think you could.  Lemme remind you - TWO IMPEACHMENTS - COUNTLESS hearings/non-responsive cooperation from the Dems - total falsification by Nadler and Shitzz and their cronies.  Great cooperation, eh?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @5.2.5    3 years ago
You remember how cooperative the outgoing Obama Administration worked with Trump? 

Yes, I remember Obama welcomed Trump to the WH on November 5.

Nah, I didn't think you could.

Why the cheap shot?

Lemme remind you - TWO IMPEACHMENTS - COUNTLESS hearings/non-responsive cooperation from the Dems - total falsification by Nadler and Shitzz and their cronies. 

Nothing to do with the Obama Admin or the transition teams cooperating with each other.  Total fail.

Great cooperation, eh?

World class compared to team Trump stonewalling  Biden's team for two months, while Don golfed.

On the way out the door, Trump fired the Head Usher and dismissed the staff as a final FU to Biden.

Yep, 45 was a real class act.