╌>

Experts warn of a murder hornet resurgence: Here's how Canada is preparing

Category:  Fields and Streams

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Cheryl Santa Maria

Experts warn of a murder hornet resurgence: Here's how Canada is preparing
Thursday, March 25th 2021, 1:02 pm - Experts are hoping to stop the hornets before they can get a foothold in North America

Wuhan Wasps? ... what's next ...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

THE DANGERS OF MURDER HORNETS

Asian giant hornets -- also referred to as 'murder hornets' -- have been spotted in B.C. in recent years.

While usually restricted to warmer areas, experts say they have the potential to migrate east.

They're among the largest hornets in the world, with female workers that can grow up to four centimetres in length.

In the late summer and fall, workers may come together to attack the nests of other insects, particularly honeybees. They are efficient killers, able to wipe out   entire colonies within a few hours .

Once a colony has been wiped out, the murder hornets turn to the immature bees left behind in their wax cells, which are used to feed their larvae.

In its native Asia, honeybees have developed a defence, quickly surrounding a hornet and   vibrate their muscles , using friction to generate enough heat to overwhelm it.

But North American bees are just beginning to develop ways to scare them off, prompting scientists to step in.

The hornets also pose a risk to humans, with stingers about   4.5 mm longer than that of a honeybee .

Murder hornet venom contains a neurotoxin called mandaratoxin. A single sting isn't normally lethal, but multiple stings can kill a human.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Masks will not help ...

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2  igknorantzrulz    3 years ago

This Stings, of the buzz that could one day Bee, our reality, as a recent pollen count showed no signs of the Hives not spreading their murderous tendencies East, hopefully our Honey bees learn quickly, as they are essential in our chains.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

The defense that the Asian honeybee has developed is amazing. Hopefully the bee here in north American can do the same.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

One defense our NA honeybees use to defend their homes against attack is to shit all over their entrance

Not sure how effective this would be against murder hornets, but I know I wouldn't want to enter someones home that did that

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

Wonderful... I am uber allergic to all insect bites. Also, my next-door neighbors keep honey bees. They better get these monsters. They don't belong here.

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    3 years ago

I'll wait for the screams to learn where "here" is ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    3 years ago

here's a trick I learned in the telecommunications business. forget all the bug sprays. get some aerosol car starter spray with an ether content. spray them with that and they're dead before they hit the dirt.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @4.2    3 years ago

Ether is awesome, and although they sometimes survive it, they are defenseless and confused.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.1    3 years ago

I never waited around long enough to see if they could get up and fly away. I would shoot it into the drain holes of the gang boxes and when opened, the hornets or wasps always seemed fast asleep.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago

Watching the video, I didn’t realize how much bigger the hornets are than the bees. Scary.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    3 years ago

Using radio trackers, scientists locate ‘murder hornet’ nest in Washington state — first ever in U.S.