By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

Bill Maher Ridicules The Academy Awards

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

For those who don't watch the video,  in it Bill Maher ridicules Hollywood and the Academy Awards for nominating so many films that are "downers". He refers to Nomadland, Judas and the Black Messiah, The Father, Minari. etc, and says that the subject matter of 'serious' Hollywood films, in other words Oscar candidates,  is too depressing. 

--------------------------

I think we get these "adult" stories at the Oscars because the rest of Hollywood is superheroes and Disney cartoons. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I'm not at all surprised that so many "downer" movies have been produced and preferred these days, since so many people are and have been "down" over the last while, maybe "downer" movies will make them feel better by thinking "Hey, I'm better off than that".  Guess it's just an example of 'art imitating life'

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    3 years ago

Here are the Best Picture nominees  -----

The Father

Minari

Judas and the Black Messiah

Sound of Metal

Nomadland

Promising Young Woman

The Trial Of The Chicago 7

Mank

I have seen three of them, Trial Of The Chicago 7, Nomadland and Mank, although I can't completely count Mank because it kept putting me to sleep. 

There are no comedies on this year's list. 

These days TV is more popular than the movies and the 'lighthearted' stuff happens on TV.  There are hundreds of romantic comedies available for streaming. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

If I'm still alive a few years from now I may get to see some of them, but you can be sure they won't be used for my movie quizzes at least until then. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    3 years ago

I really liked Nomadland, it is a stylish directorial effort and Frances McDormand is a great actress.  The Trial Of The Chicago 7 is an old fashioned style courtroom drama from the guy who wrote A  Few Good Men.   Mank is a black and white movie that I found dull and un-engaging. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I think off the wall stories are the best. Just weird slice of life kind of pics. Using Meryl Streep as an example, Marvin's Room. just a quirky look into their lives kind of pic. Then the light comedy like Defending Your Life.

Dating myself but pics that would not be considered Oscar worthy, even by standards back then.

I personally could care less about the Oscars. They can kiss each others asses and give awards to each other, just not my thing.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @1.2    3 years ago

The Oscars were more fun when movie stars were more mysterious figures. No one really knew much about Gregory Peck or Paul Newman or Audrey Hepburn or Elizabeth Taylor other than what was in the newspapers. They were in a sense larger than life. Today with social media people can know far too much about celebrities. 

-

I watch the Oscars because I am interested in movies and it is a competition. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago
"The Oscars were more fun when movie stars were more mysterious figures"

...and when Bob Hope was the host MC.

Since I don't get to see current movies, I'm no longer interested in watching any of the movie award shows.