╌>

Matthew McConaughey for Texas governor? Actor leads incumbent Greg Abbott in new poll

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  49 comments

By:   Rachel Yang (MSN)

Matthew McConaughey for Texas governor? Actor leads incumbent Greg Abbott in new poll
Matthew McConaughey hasn't officially announced a run for Texas governor, but he beat incumbent Greg Abbott by double digits in a new poll.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© Provided by Entertainment Weekly Matthew McConaughey

Matthew McConaughey did more than alright, alright, alright in a new poll surveying support for Texas' next governor.

The actor, who hasn't announced his candidacy yet but has teased interest in running, beat incumbent Greg Abbott by double digits. Forty-five percent of Texas registered voters said they would vote for McConaughey compared to 33 percent who would vote for Abbott and 22 percent who would select someone else. The poll, released Sunday by The Dallas Morning News and the University of Texas at Tyler, surveyed 1,126 registered voters.

Matthew McConaughey talks almost quitting acting on The Oprah Conversation Entertainment Weekly See more videos SHARESHARETWEETSHAREEMAIL What to watch next

While McConaughey trounced Abbott when it came to support from Democrats — he garnered 66 percent of prospective votes as opposed to 8 percent support for the Republican — more than half of the Democrats polled said they wanted a progressive candidate for governor over a centrist.

That could spell trouble for McConaughey, a self-described centrist who's criticized both Republicans and Democrats. And when it came to Republican voters surveyed, 56 percent said they'd vote for Abbott, compared with only 30 percent for McConaughey.

While the Oscar winner hasn't officially put his name in the ring, he said last month that he's giving "honest consideration" to running for Texas governor.

"Look, I'm a 'Meet You in the Middle' man. When I say 'aggressively centric,' that sometimes gets parceled over there with 'Oh, that's a shade of grey, a compromise,'" he told the Austin American-Statesman. "And I say, 'Bulls---. That's a dare. Right now, that's radical. You wanna be brave? Come on over here.'"

For McConaughey, who was born and raised in Texas, his celebrity status will most likely help his political odds in his home state, with one conservative independent voter drawing parallels to former president Donald Trump.

"He's popular, he's colorful, and he's not afraid to tell it like it is," Harp, a construction manager, told the Dallas Morning News. "He has some of the same qualities of Donald Trump, and that will play well in Texas."

The A-lister has stayed close to his Texas roots, recently organizing a star-studded benefit with his wife to raise funds for those affected by storms in the state in February. He even appeared in a Zoom faculty chat for instructors at the University of Texas at Austin during the pandemic. In 2019, he officially joined his alma mater's faculty as a professor in the Department of Radio-Television-Film.

McConaughey isn't the only Hollywood celebrity who's been eyeing political office. Dwayne Johnson has been floating a presidential runfor several years now, and a recent poll reported that 46 percent of those surveyed would support his campaign (the same poll found 29 percent would support both Johnson and McConaughey's respective bids). Meanwhile, Caitlyn Jenner, a longtime Republican, is reportedly considering a run for California governor and consulting with former Trump staffers.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

As long as he is wearing this:

533979_297511710380621_474388096_n.jpg

...I'm ok with it.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

he's a much better option than the teabag skateboard that texas is stuck with now.

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

Under ordinary circumstances, you'd get a spanking for the skateboard remark.  But Greg Abbott is such an enormous steaming pile of several different kinds of shit, you should feel free to vent in any way you wish.  He cares nothing for any of his constituents, not even the ones who voted for Trump.  He only cares about 2 things:  His lips, and their position on Trump's behind. 

People have died because of his creepy, child-like devotion.  He will not win re-election. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    3 years ago
Under ordinary circumstances, you'd get a spanking for the skateboard remark.

dfn

Professor Guide
1.1.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    3 years ago

I'm just looking for a reason to spank your naughty self.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.3    3 years ago

I didn't know you needed a reason

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.3    3 years ago

don't forget your safety glasses.

Professor Guide
1.1.6  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.4    3 years ago
I didn't know you needed a reason

Good point!

Professor Guide
1.1.7  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    3 years ago
don't forget your safety glasses.

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal

Professor Guide
1.1.9  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1.8    3 years ago

Nothin' but net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
1.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

MMMMMmmm Hmmmm! jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I read about this a while ago but thought he was just joking - if he's serious, I'd like to see him win it.  Obviously Americans vote for actors and other celebrities even if they've had no governing experience, for example Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwartznegger, Clint Eastwood, Jesse Ventura, Trump. 

"McConaughey, a self-described centrist who's criticized both Republicans and Democrats."  

If that's how a centrist can be defined, then I guess I'm a centrist as well.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3  Hallux    3 years ago

Meh ... a car salesman running Texas, why not ... ?

Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Hallux @3    3 years ago
a car salesman running Texas, why not ... ?

Beats the snot out of what we have now!

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    3 years ago

I find this extremely amusing.... Alright alright alright!!!!!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

Whatever.....

Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5    3 years ago
Whatever.....

Oh come on!!!!  The abs alone would be worth a wee bit of consideration. 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Ender  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1    3 years ago

Let's just say, I wouldn't stand next to him at the beach.

Professor Guide
5.1.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    3 years ago
Let's just say, I wouldn't stand next to him at the beach.

Neither would I, and I'm a nun that hides a lot under this get-up.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    3 years ago

You don't have to. I will

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

Even though I don't live anywhere near TX, I'd watch / listen to any debates or speeches made if McConaughey won it.

If Dwayne Johnson ran for pres., I'd watch / listen to all of those debates or speeches as well. Preferably watch. I love his smile... and his body. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6    3 years ago

Are you suggesting that the debates be held with the participants wearing little more than banana hammocks?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1    3 years ago

Not a big fan of the banana hammock. 

Maybe regular swim trunks and tank tops though.

I like to leave a little to the imagination.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1    3 years ago

I want to see them in tuxedos. I think any man looks handsome in a tuxedo

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.2    3 years ago

I think you have some kind of uniform fetish. wearing a tux sux.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @6.1.3    3 years ago

Trout most definitely has a uniform fetish.... She wore one for years!

Now a tux with Hawaiian shorts might be more up you alley Devan....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @6.1.3    3 years ago

Can't be all bad. Men wear them everyday to get married in

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.4    3 years ago

My favorite is a Marine in his dress blues. Saw a Marine coming out of the base gym one day in his service dress and I almost drooled all over myself

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.5    3 years ago

I wore levi's, a dead t-shirt, and my flannel to get married. the judge that married us was famous for jailing some nuns that blocked the rail line into a defense contractor a decade before during the southeast asian war.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  devangelical @6.1.7    3 years ago

My husband and I wore Harley Davidson t-shirts, jeans, and slippers to get married in; we were married in our living room by a non-denominational minister friend of mine that charged us a 6pk of Guinness for the service. 

Professor Guide
6.1.9  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.2    3 years ago
I want to see them in tuxedos. I think any man looks handsome in a tuxedo

Here's a Texas Tux:

article-2178044-1432F799000005DC-169_306x478.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @6.1.9    3 years ago

Works for me

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.10    3 years ago

We have another entrant to the gov's race in Tejas. We're going Native and this is a Native Tux.

Michael Greyeyes.

He is a great rider (horses) how the hell can you be gov of Tejas if ya can't ride.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.12  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.6    3 years ago

Marines do have the best uniforms of all the services...!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1.13  1stwarrior  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.12    3 years ago

And the Navy does an outstanding job of keeping them creases in our uniforms.  Best ironers in the world.

Professor Guide
6.1.14  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @6.1.11    3 years ago

Humminahumminablatheringdroolhumminahumminasenselessbabblingmoredroolingbotheyeballsspinninginonesocket.

Matthew who?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @6.1.11    3 years ago

Good thing I don't live in TX.

Too many choices

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @6.1.11    3 years ago

He better not cut his hair

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8  Greg Jones    3 years ago

I would have preferred Mike Rowe to Trump.

Very bright no nonsense guy. He has the presence...and the voice.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @8    3 years ago

yeah, right. a teabag POS TV clown that has the ability to read what someone else has written for him. perfect choice for the wealthy owners of the RNC.

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.1.1  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @8.1    3 years ago

Aaaaaaaaand...what does Matthew McConaughey do for a living?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @8.1    3 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     3 years ago

Mr. Hound has officially entered the governor's race in Texas.

Mr. Hounds motto, ''I'm short but I'm long''...Take that any way you see fit. 

Kibble in every bowl and free greenies for all. 

Mr. Hounds running mate for Lt. Governor will be none other than the ''Rock''.

Here he is in his Samoan Tuxedo also known as a lava lava

Mr. Rock's motto, ''Le malie ia te a'u ma o le a ou gagau lou ulu pei o se popo. (Translation disagree with me and I'll crack your head like a coconut.''

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @9    3 years ago
Mr. Hounds motto, ''I'm short but I'm long''...Take that any way you see fit.  Kibble in every bowl and free greenies for all. 

You'd have at least two votes from my household! I want Mr. Hound to be MI gov.!

Professor Guide
9.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @9    3 years ago

I'd vote for either one.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9    3 years ago

Both of them have my vote

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Eh, at this point why the fuck not?

Professor Guide
10.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Thrawn 31 @10    3 years ago

I know, right?