╌>

Classic American pies whose recipes haven't changed

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  18 comments

By:   Jacqui Agate

BUZZ NOTE:  To view this seed it is necessary to click on the "SEEDED CONTENT" link just below this message to go to the original source article.  There are 25 slides to advance through to see all the pies.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© SugareesBakery/Facebook

A sweet slice of America

You needn't travel far to find a great piece of pie in the USA, and many are made with time-honored recipes that have barely changed in decades. From a classic key lime pie in Florida to a chocolate meringue creation in Mississippi, these delicious desserts have staying power.

BUZZ NOTE: What is your favourite pie?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I can't decide between two pies, even though I very rarely got to eat one of them.  Because I spent many vacations in Florida I got to eat at Joe's Stone Crab a few times, and the Key Lime Pie served there, a little more tart than Lemon Meringue Pie, was incredible.  However, the other favourite is not even listed among the ones in this article, and that is Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. 

OIP.cKt69aRl_RuJLzkz45bivQHaE2?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

To alleviate the strong tartness of the pie, it is best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, as shown in this image.  I have not had the joy of enJOYing either of these favourites for almost 15 years, because pies are not at all common here in China, although I may have had apple pie at an American fast food restaurant here. 

Here is a simple recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie...

Directions

• Step 1

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

• Step 2

In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.

• Step 3

Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. Seal edges of top and bottom crust with water.

• Step 4

Apply yolk to top of pie, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut small holes in top to let steam escape.

• Step 5

Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on rack.

Now, what is your favourite pie?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

Ooops.  I forgot to post the list of ingredients:

Ingredients

Original recipe yields 8 servings
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pound fresh rhubarb, chopped
  • 2 pints fresh strawberries
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar

BUZZ NOTE:  It is noted that younger thin stalks of rhubarb should be used because the older thicker ones get a little woody. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    3 years ago

Rhubarb is something I don't see in grocery stores much anymore.  I tried growing some a few years ago, and it did well for 2 years, then some sort of bug destroyed it the third year.  I only got to harvest some once - not enough for a pie, but enough for rhubarb-blackberry crumble, which was pretty good.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

Cherry or Blueberry for me, please.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

My favorite is strawberry, but I wouldn't say no to strawberry rhubarb.  Warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce is pretty good, too.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    3 years ago

I wonder if it's a Canadian or British thing to put a slice of cheddar cheese on top of a slice of apple pie instead of ice cream.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    3 years ago

I've heard of it here, too.  But ice cream seems to be more common.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

My all-time favorite is miini-baashkiminasijigani-biitoosigani-badakiingwesijigani-biitooyiingwesijigani-bakwezhigan.

Translation, Blueberry Pie.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Seems like you could work up an appetite for it just by calling it its Ojibwe name.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    3 years ago

Conversations in Ojibwe must be very time-consuming.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    3 years ago

Actually, our language is a pictorial language the breakdown of miin-baashkiminisigan-biitooijigan-badagwiingweshigan-bakwezhigan is as follows.

The word translates as "blueberry cooked to jellied preserve that lies in layers in which the face is covered in bread". 

•  miin = blueberry
  •  baashkiminisigan = jam, preserves
  •  biitoosijigan = layered
  •  badagwiingweshigan = lie with face covered
  •  bakwezhigan = bread

"blueberry pie"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

My favorite pie is pear pie. I learned how to make it when my dad was stationed down south. Yum!

Dragon
Freshman Silent
5  Dragon    3 years ago

Lemon meringue, especially when it is tart. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
7  Hallux    3 years ago

I got hooked on peach pie in NC a decade ago and have been making them ever since ... however, I have yet to master pie dough notwithstanding many lessons from my sister-in-law who now hangs up with a loud snorting snert when I call for help. Meh ... next up litchi pie and no slice for her.