╌>

Liz Cheney says she regrets voting for Trump in 2020

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  46 comments

By:   Donald Trump (MSN)

Liz Cheney says she regrets voting for Trump in 2020
Liz Cheney said she regrets voting for Donald Trump in the 2020 election, speaking in a "This Week" interview with ABC Chief Washington Correspondent Jonathan Karl.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep. Liz Cheney on Friday said she regretted voting for former President Donald Trump in the 2020 election given his efforts to overturn his defeat and sow doubt in the integrity of the process.

"I was never going to support Joe Biden and I do regret the vote," Cheney told ABC News Chief Washington Correspondent Jonathan Karl. "It was a vote based on policy, based on substance and in terms of the kinds of policies he put forward that were good for the country. But I think it's fair to say that I regret the vote."

Cheney, R-Wyo., also blasted House Republicans for elevating Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York to replace her in party leadership, calling it "dangerous" to promote yet another leader who has promoted former President Trump's falsehoods about the 2020 election.

"What does it say about the party choosing somebody to replace you, who was effectively chosen by Donald Trump and saying what he's been saying - those very lies you were talking about?" Karl asked Cheney in the interview, which will air in full on "This Week" on Sunday.

"I think it's dangerous. I think that we have to recognize how quickly things can unravel," Cheney told Karl. "We have to recognize what it means for the nation to have a former president who has not conceded and who continues to suggest that our electoral system cannot function, cannot do the will of the people."

After an unsuccessful attempt in February, Republicans, with the backing of GOP leaders, removed Cheney from the No. 3 party leadership post in a closed-door vote Wednesday amid her repeated criticism of Trump and his comments about the 2020 election.

On Friday, the conference overwhelmingly appointed Stefanik, who was endorsed for the position by Trump, to fill her role. Stefanik has also promoted some of the unfounded conspiracy theories questioning the election results in Arizona and voted against the election results in Pennsylvania on the House floor on Jan. 6.

e151e5.gif

"Frankly, it's the same kinds of things that the Chinese Communist Party says about democracy: that it's a failed system, and America is a failed nation," Cheney said of Trump's election comments promoted by many Republicans. "I won't be part of that. And I think it's very important for Republicans who won't be part of that to stand up and speak out."

Cheney's leadership position was called into question earlier this year when she voted to impeach Trump following the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. She was one of only 10 House Republicans who voted to do so.

Since that attack, Cheney has been an outspoken opponent of Trump's, blaming him for inciting violence that day and painting him as a threat to democracy.

"I think the issue really is Donald Trump and it really is the party and whether we're going to be a party that's based on the truth," Cheney said. "I think we've seen consistently since the election, certainly since Jan. 6 and in ways, it's increased since Jan. 6, the former president's willingness to be very aggressive in his attacks on democracy and on our electoral process."

The events of Jan. 6 remain a central focus for lawmakers in both chambers. After months of negotiations, a bipartisan pair of House lawmakers announced an agreement to form a bipartisan commission to investigate the Capitol attack and its aftermath.

While Democrats are expected to bring the measure to the House floor next week, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., told reporters he had not reviewed the proposal.

Cheney told Karl that McCarthy "absolutely should" testify before any commission, and that she "wouldn't be surprised if he were subpoenaed."

"I think that he very clearly and said publicly that he's got information about the president's state of mind that day," Cheney said.

McCarthy spoke to Trump on Jan. 6, and reportedly told him to call off his supporters during the riot at the Capitol, according to a statement from Rep. Jamie Herrera Beutler, R-Wash., who cited a conversation with McCarthy.

Herrera Beutler said Trump replied, "'Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election then you are.'"

McCarthy did not deny Trump's comments but downplayed them when pressed in a Fox News interview, saying Trump was "engaged in the idea of making sure we could stop what was going on inside the Capitol at that moment in time."

"I would hope he doesn't require a subpoena, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were subpoenaed," Cheney said of McCarthy.

Aides to McCarthy, who had called for a panel to investigate political violence beyond Jan. 6, did not respond to a message seeking a response to Cheney's comments.

"The elements of that commission are exactly as they should be. I'm very glad they rejected leader McCarthy's suggestions that somehow we should dilute the commission, it's really important that it be focused on just on January 6 and the events leading up to it," Cheney said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Liz Cheney must be out her mind. 

Trump was worth voting for on Nov 3rd ? 

Absurd and offensive. The asshole was impeached in January of 2020, for cause. Plus he lied to the American people 30,000 times.  He was a known liar, crook, bigot moron and cheat on Nov 3, 2020. 

Republicans are trash. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
[removed]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1    3 years ago

It's a damn shame when people don't know the difference.

but, considering, no surprise

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago
It's a damn shame when people don't know the difference.

That's because the resemblance is uncanny.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    3 years ago

only in deluded progressive liberal minds.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

It was a vote based on policy, based on substance and in terms of the kinds of policies he put forward that were good for the country.

Sounds likely that she just didn't like his personality. Neither did I

Since I voted for him twice, are you cleverly in a roundabout way calling me trash?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    3 years ago

not even in a roundabout way, he flat out said it!

amazing what some can get away with.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    3 years ago

Hey, if the shoe fits!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Too smart too late

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2  Dismayed Patriot    3 years ago
"After an unsuccessful attempt in February, Republicans, with the backing of GOP leaders, removed Cheney from the No. 3 party leadership post in a closed-door vote Wednesday amid her repeated criticism of Trump and his comments about the 2020 election."

Their actions were a warning to other members that if they don't drink the poisoned cool-aid they'll have their political throats cut. Very much the actions and behavior of deranged cultists.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2    3 years ago

What Cheney has revealed is that if Trump would have won the election, or lost with a little class, she would be fine with having voted for him. 

Sorry, that is sad.  It was known to everyone with half a brain LONG before the election, that Trump was utterly unfit to hold office. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2  cjcold  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2    3 years ago

"We will know them by their limping."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago
On Friday, the conference overwhelmingly appointed Stefanik, who was endorsed for the position by Trump, to fill her role. Stefanik has also promoted some of the unfounded conspiracy theories questioning the election results in Arizona and voted against the election results in Pennsylvania on the House floor on Jan. 6.

These people have lost their way.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @3    3 years ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @3    3 years ago

So why are you worried about it?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    3 years ago

My position is that it is bad for this nation to have a major political party lose its collective mind.

One of our two major parties is rallying behind a malignant narcissist, pathological liar who engaged in a two-month lying spree / con-job claiming (falsely) that he is the legitimate PotUS and that the election was stolen from him.   Those who can think clearly, worldwide, are likely shaking their heads at the R party who instead of distancing themselves from Trump (who is a damaging parasite on the party) actually are embracing him.

You have no problem with that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    3 years ago
One of our two major parties is rallying behind a malignant narcissist, pathological liar who engaged in a two-month lying spree

Donald Trump has been lying constantly since he came down that golden escalator in June of 2015 (and really, for a long time before that.) 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.2    3 years ago

Yes he has.   Surely you realize that when I described his two-month lying spree I was referring to his post-election-loss con-job and that I was not implying that Trump just started lying at that point.

The full quote of my words (going to the end of the sentence) makes this crystal clear:

TiG @3.2.1 ☞ ... who engaged in a two-month lying spree / con-job claiming (falsely) that he is the legitimate PotUS and that the election was stolen from him.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    3 years ago
My position is that it is bad for this nation to have a major political party lose its collective mind.

Indeed, effective governance is not possible when one of two major political parties is living in an alternate reality and the primary means of advancement within the party is kissing the ass if one of the most insecure people to ever live. It is the mentality of every failed authoritarian government, where actual results don’t matter, all that matters is the perception of the guy on top.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2.5  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    3 years ago

Nope.

Trump didn't damage the country, as the progressives are in the process of doing

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.6  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.5    3 years ago
Nope.

Brilliant

Trump didn't damage the country, as the progressives are in the process of doing

I noted that Trump did and is still damaging the R party.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.2    3 years ago

His whole goddamned hateful cheating lying thug grifting life.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.5    3 years ago
"Nope. Trump didn't damage the country, as the progressives are in the process of doing"

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

I heard that he was sent to military school as a kid because he raped a child.  It's parents should have made him get therapy instead of covering up and allowing him to grow up to be a serial sexual predator and rapist.

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.9  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.5    3 years ago

And now the country will not get to collectively breathe post-Donald, because he is about to go on the 'circuit' with rallies again. Thus, failing yet another post-presidency tradition. Trump is so disrespectful of everything and everybody. It's a shame before God to be this big of a louse! I hope and pray cable news networks do not give this man free oxygen to thrive on.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.2.9    3 years ago

you know the networks will give him plenty of airtime.

after all, progressives are drawn to anything Trump like moths to a flame

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.11  CB  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.6    3 years ago

This iteration is the "Big Lie Party." Even last week, that party engaged in public lying to clear what's left of a collective party conscience by vindicating the Washington insurrectionists as regular "patriots" visitors. The Big Lie Party is attempting to blanket this country with its gaslighting.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    3 years ago

Where is Elise Stefaniak trumpturd and what have you done with her?

She saw the cash cow that trumpturd supporters were and cashed in.  Sold her soul to the orange turd and his supporters.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5  Ronin2    3 years ago

Hasn't she had her 15 minutes yet? The left really think they are gaining any damn traction by trotting her ass out a few more times? 

It hasn't sunk in for her yet. She is done. Any chance at a political career is done. Any chance at getting a talking head job is done. She burned every last bridge she had with the right; and the left would break out the marsh mellows if she caught on fire.

Maybe she needs to look at the career trajectory for another staunch conservative that alienated his own party. Justin Amash. Last heard from before the election. Not a peep from since. Media has no more use for him; and no Republican or Conservative of any standing gives a damn about what he has to say. A quick political death. Of course he wasn't really a Republican; but a Tea Party conservative. They have no use for him either.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @5    3 years ago
The left really think they are gaining any damn traction by trotting her ass out a few more times? 

Lol we don’t want her. We are just enjoying watching the GOP go after each other, and she is a sign of just how deep into Trump’s ass GOP politicians and supporters have their tongues.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1    3 years ago

No, we don't want her or any of the repukes!  They eat their own.  Fuck them!

We have no use for teabaggers either Ronin.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    3 years ago

Gee Liz, you didn't know who and what the NY flim flam was---and continues to be?  Ignorance as an excuse only goes so far and you, dear Liz, 'Have stretched that bridge too far."

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

So after your political career is ruined, NOW you regret the vote? Fuck you Cheney, you are just as bad as Trump since you are totally cool with him and everything he has done right up until you get fucked over. You have no high ground here and you being thrown on the trash heap is a good thing.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8  Greg Jones    3 years ago

She never learned Reagan's Eleventh Commandment, or that party always trumps person

Mitt Romney also suffers from the same condition

CB
Professor Principal
8.1  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @8    3 years ago

Did Donald Trump learn it? Do you care if Donald follows the 'rule'? Or, is Donald Trump's 'vomited rhetoric' as pure as the driven snow to your mind? Y'all are following a 'pig in slop.'

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @8    3 years ago

Your party is a person. Being a GOP rep these days means swearing unwavering fealty to a retard, it’s sad.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.3  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @8    3 years ago

Yeah.  Good ole' Supply Side Reagan.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @8.3    3 years ago

Please tell me what ANY Democratic President or Congress has done to negate any Reagan policies regarding supply-side economics.

i am sure that they must have done SOMETHING or you wouldn't have supported them, right?

Krishna
Professor Expert
9  Krishna    3 years ago

And its not just Liz Cheney;

A new party for anti-Trump Republicans: Here's what we know so far

Frustrated by the GOP's direction, a group of Republicans are creating a new movement.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9.1  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @9    3 years ago

"A group of republicans are creating a new movement."  Well yes, there is that also, and speaking just generally about the GOP and all the rest of it, there is this too.

In the Joel Greenburg deposition there is the 'testimony' of this----------"And other men."  I suspect that the MAGA or Trump brand may soon decline in value.

Remember the Qanon thing about child sex and the direction they always pointed for blame?  I wonder if all along that was a feint, cover and distraction away from the real club which is mainly populated by ultra rich political donors.  And of course, Jeffery Epstein is very conveniently, dead.