╌>

COVID vaccines to be required for military under new US plan

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   By LOLITA C. BALDOR

COVID vaccines to be required for military under new US plan
In memos distributed to all troops, top Pentagon leaders said the vaccine is a necessary step to maintain military readiness.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Defense Secretary LLoyd Austin says he is working to make the Covid-19 vaccine mandatory for all military personnel (Associated Press)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Members of the U.S. military will be required to get the COVID-19 vaccine beginning next month under a plan laid out by the Pentagon Monday and endorsed by President Joe Biden. In memos distributed to all troops, top Pentagon leaders said the vaccine is a necessary step to maintain military readiness.

“I will seek the president’s approval to make the vaccines mandatory no later than mid-September, or immediately upon” licensure by the Food and Drug Administration “whichever comes first,” Austin said in his memo, warning them to prepare for the requirement.

Austin’s decision reflects similar moves by governments and companies around the world, as nations struggle with the highly contagious delta variant that has sent new U.S. cases, hospitalizations and deaths surging to heights not seen since last winter.

The concerns are especially acute in the military, where service members live and work closely together in barracks and on ships, increasing the risks of rapid spreading. Any large virus outbreak in the military could affect America’s ability to defend itself in any security crisis.

The decision will add the COVID-19 vaccine to a list of other inoculations that service members are already required to get. Depending on their location, service members can get as many as 17 different vaccines.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Members of the U.S. military will be required to get the COVID-19 vaccine beginning next month under a plan laid out by the Pentagon Monday and endorsed by President Joe Biden. In memos distributed to all troops, top Pentagon leaders said the vaccine is a necessary step to maintain military readiness.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Concerns are especially acute in the military, where service members live and work closely together in barracks and on ships, increasing the risks of rapid spreading. Any large virus outbreak in the military could affect America’s ability to defend itself in any security crisis.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

The decision will add the COVID-19 vaccine to a list of other inoculations that service members are already required to get. Depending on their location, service members can get as many as 17 different vaccines.

" a list of other inoculations that service members are already required to get."

They are already required to get other vaccines? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

(Who knew???)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

A little late considering that the Covid-19 pandemic actually originated at Fort Detrick in Maryland, USA.

(LOL.  I posted that comment to make the American NT members freak out and I'm sure they will, even if they don't post a reply.)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 years ago

LOL.  I posted that comment to make the American NT members freak out and I'm sure they will, even if they don't post a reply.)

Undoubtedly some will.

But some have the self-control of 1a3 year old and won't be able to resist.  Some will post here and we'll be flooded with their reliable old derail tactic-- the greatly feared "DERAIL BY WHADDABOUDISM"!

jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 years ago
I posted that comment to make the American NT members freak out and I'm sure they will, even if they don't post a reply

Well, based on some of their comments posted here-- some of them appear to be pretty much in a permanent state of freak out-- regardless of what's posted by anyone

(How else can you explain the fact that some still believe that Trump won the election? Or are still opposing mandatory masks for schoolkids..mandatory vaccines and other health measures-- which would result in more American deaths-- mainly in the predominantly pro-Trump states!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 years ago

A little late considering that the Covid-19 pandemic actually originated at Fort Detrick in Maryland, USA.

You mean it shouldn't be called "The China Virus" but rather "The Maryland Virus"? 

(Personally I think it should be called "The Trump Virus" since he did so much to have it spread....or at least "The Sean Hannity Virus" jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif )

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.3    3 years ago

Some members DID call it the Trump virus - I know I did, due to his unbelievably ignorant mismanagement of it leading to the world's record infections and deaths.   He provided proof of his negligence on tape recorded by Bob Woodward explaining that his delay was because he didn't want people to panic.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @4.3    3 years ago

It should be called the Magat Virus as the majority of anti vaxers are also Trump supporters.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.4  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 years ago

My reply is; Americans at Fort Detrick have done a better job of keeping control of the germs there

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @4.4    3 years ago

I'm glad you didn't freak out.  LOL

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 years ago

LOL! Good one, Buzz!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Should have been mandatory a year ago

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Without full clearance from the FDA, it couldn't be.