╌>

Multiple U.S. troops, Afghan civilians killed in Kabul airport attack - Axios

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  expatingb  •  3 years ago  •  85 comments

By:   Dave Lawler (Axios)

Multiple U.S. troops, Afghan civilians killed in Kabul airport attack - Axios
"Casualties are unclear at this time," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said.

AT LEAST 10 American Military killed and the Pentagon sources note the toll will likely go higher as there are a number with severe injuries.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Dave Lawler, Laurin-Whitney Gottbrath

Smoke rises after two explosions outside Hamid Karzai International Airport. Photo: Haroon Sabawoon/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

The Pentagon has confirmed that multiple U.S. troops and "a number of Afghan civilians" were killed in an attack outside the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul on Thursday. Additional U.S. troops are being treated for injuries.

What we know: The "complex attack" involved an explosion at the Abbey Gate entrance to the airport and a second explosion "at or near the Baron Hotel," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said.

The big picture: The explosions followed warnings from the U.S. and allies about a potential terror attack near the airport, where thousands of Afghans have gathered in hopes of fleeing the country.

• The State Department on Wednesday night urged Americans not to travel to the airport and to leave immediately if they were gathered near the Abbey Gate, East Gate or North Gate. The department reiterated that warning after Thursday's explosions.
  • The U.K. and Australia gave similar warnings. James Heappey, the British armed forces minister, told the BBC that the threat of a suicide attack by ISIS forces was "credible, imminent and lethal."
  • The White House has stressed for several days that the possibility of an attack from ISIS-K was one factor pushing them to attempt to complete the evacuation operation by Aug. 31.

The latest: Photos shared by Afghanistan's TOLO News showed injured people, bleeding and being carried away from the blast site.

• The Taliban has reported that at least 13 people were killed and that many Taliban guards were wounded, per Reuters. About 60 people injured in the blasts have been treated at the NGO Emergency's surgical center so far, the organization said.
  • The Taliban condemned the attack and claimed it took place in an area where the U.S. was handling security.
  • Between the lines: The U.S. has security control of the airport itself but the Taliban is in control beyond the perimeter.

A view after two explosions reported outside Hamid Karzai International Airport. Photo: Sayed Khodaiberdi Sadat/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Thursday's attack came as President Biden was meeting with his national security team on Afghanistan in the Situation Room.

• He delayed his meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett, set for 11:30am ET, because those consultations were still ongoing, Axios' Barak Ravid reports.

Several NATO allies have ended their evacuation operations due to the terror threat and the need to prioritize the evacuation of U.S. troops over the coming days.

• Kirby said earlier on Thursday that the evacuation mission would continue through Aug. 31, but it's unclear whether civilians will still be able to enter the airport after Thursday's attack.
  • Thousands of Afghans and hundreds of Americans are still attempting to flee. For now, Americans are being advised to stay away.
  • Norway's foreign minister has said that the country will no longer be able to evacuate any civilians because "the doors at the airport are now closed and it is no longer possible to get people in."

A view after two explosions reported outside Hamid Karzai International Airport. Photo: Sayed Khodaiberdi Sadat/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Go deeper: U.S. allies scramble to leave Afghanistan

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
1  seeder  exexpatnowinTX    3 years ago

What will our response be?  Will we beg forgiveness and ask them may we please leave your country?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @1    3 years ago
What will our response be?  Will we beg forgiveness and ask them may we please leave your country?

We should bomb the whole country until it's just a giant parking lot. That's what we should have done to begin with.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @1    3 years ago

Locate the ISIS K villages along the Pakistan border and drop some MOABs and Daisy cutters while the drones film it all.

Wait a week and then do it again.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

08-biden-surren-li-1080-390x220.jpg

A.F. BrancoAugust 26, 2021

A.F. Branco Cartoon – Surrender In Chief

Biden’s surrender to the Taliban in Afghanistan has put blood on his hands. Political cartoon by A.F. Branco ©2021. 

Read More »

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    3 years ago

[Deleted]

Put your money (or you) where your mouth is. 

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
3  Moose Knuckle    3 years ago

12 Marines and 1 Navy Medic dead now. Awful day for our country, Awful few weeks for our allies and citizens in Afghanistan as we cowardly abandon them.

Joe Biden is unfit to serve and must resign. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Moose Knuckle @3    3 years ago

This is just horrible.  

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
3.2  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Moose Knuckle @3    3 years ago
Joe Biden is unfit to serve and must resign. 

I have always dreaded that idea, but now need to accept it.

Three and a half years with Kamala Harris as President is looking acceptable in comparison.  I honestly don't believe I actually said that!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @3.2    3 years ago

Sadly, I agree.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Moose Knuckle @3    3 years ago

Actually, it was 11 Marines and 1 U.S. Navy FMF  (Fleet Marine Force) Hospital Corpsman. Army and Air Force have medics. Navy has Corpsmen.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
4  Moose Knuckle    3 years ago

It's hard to imagine this is real, a US president relying on the Taliban for security and safe passage to an airport full of US troops who are essentially surrounded and out numbered?  

This administration is a complete disaster! 

The President takes questions from the press the other day and his staff cuts the mic to keep a man with dementia from exposing his ailment? He hires a cabinet and staff of left wing ideologues who are fascinated with men wearing skirts and white supremacy. None of them are capable operating a lemonade stand that passes out free lemonade.

It will go down in history as the worst assembly of Morons to every occupy the White House.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Moose Knuckle @4    3 years ago

All the Democrats and left can say is "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!"  Their battle cry is beyond pathetic. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    3 years ago
All the Democrats and left can say is "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!" 

Biden pulled that again at his pathetic press conference yesterday.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
4.2  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Moose Knuckle @4    3 years ago
It will go down in history as the worst assembly of Morons to every occupy the White House.

And one needs to remember that all of those morons had worked in the Obama administration.  E V E R Y   O N E   of them.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    3 years ago

Again I remain mystified as to how the USA could allow this to happen.  

• Did Biden somehow override the entire intelligence and logistical expertise of the US military and civilian operations?  [Seems impossible.]  
  • Did he single-handedly dissipate the competence of the USA?   [Impossible. ]
  • Did he order them to NOT have contingency plans?   [Highly unlikely.]  
  • Did our nation intentionally hobble its efforts by leaving but one airport operational?  [Are we this shortsighted?] 
  • How could we not have a clear, approved path for all citizens and allies to safely leave with military protection BEFORE withdrawing the military?  [Obvious order.]

Biden's decision to pull out was apparently based on a certainty that the Afghan government and military would remain intact.   That is clearly a mistake at the Biden level of decision making.  

• Did we not know the fragility of the Afghan government (and military)?   [Of course we knew.]
  • Did our military leaders simply accept Biden dismissing such an important factor (assuming he did) without providing military options to deal with the plausible collapse of the Afghan government?  [Implausible.]
  • How could the balance of decision makers in the military and civilian government operations NOT have contingency plans for a failure in the Afghan forces?  [Seems impossible that this was overlooked.]
  • How could we not ensure that the Taliban would never be able to possess billions of dollars of USA equipment, supplies and weapons?  [Profound blunder.]

No matter how wrong Biden's decisions were, we still have the reality that the balance of our government has failed so miserably in what should have been a well-planned, well-orchestrated, safe withdrawal.

Just blows my mind that our nation —our government, our military— could be this incompetent.   As CiC, Biden is responsible for all the failures but what bothers me far more than Biden's poor decisions is the apparent incompetence of the military and government machine.

My questions are rhetorical since nobody on this site could possibly know the answers.   All anyone can offer are opinions and most will be based on partisan 'thinking' rather than objective analysis.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
5.1  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  TᵢG @5    3 years ago
As CiC, Biden is responsible for all the failures but what bothers me far more than Biden's poor decisions is the apparent incompetence of the military and government machine.

It is not the incompetence of the "machine".  They were following orders.  That is what I fault the "leaders" for.  Self preservation over as they say 'Doing what is right'.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5.1    3 years ago

That makes no sense.   Our machine is too complex for orders from a PotUS to translate into non-decisions made at every level.    It is impossible to engage in an initiative like this without a collaboration of decision makers throughout the machine.   My questions made this point.   For example, how is it possible that we did not have a contingency plan in place in case the Afghan military fell flat?   Did Biden order that NO contingency plans be formulated (a routine procedure)?

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
5.1.2  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.1    3 years ago
Our machine is too complex for orders from a PotUS to translate into non-decisions made at every level.

The "machine" is quite capable of doing just that.  "Orders" are given and executed...   The 'but sir' questions, suggestions and pleas are ignored and those lower on the totem pole are basically told to shut up and execute...   right or wrong is immaterial, it's the orders that matter.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5.1.2    3 years ago

I simplified my set of questions @5 down to one question to make this real simple.   You ignored it:

TiG @5.1.1 ☞ For example, how is it possible that we did not have a contingency plan in place in case the Afghan military fell flat?   Did Biden order that NO contingency plans be formulated (a routine procedure)?

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.1.4  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    3 years ago

I would imagine that what's happening now is the contingency plan. Wouldn't you?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @5.1.4    3 years ago

Scrambling is a pretty crappy contingency plan.   I would have expected a plan that at least fortifies safe passage rather than one that relies upon the good faith of the Taliban and on the incompetence of other radical forces like ISIS-K to take timely advantage of our exposure.

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.1.6  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.5    3 years ago

I agree and yet here we are...

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.1.7  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.5    3 years ago

Perhaps this is a result of being more concerned about how "woke" or diverse an administration is as opposed to how much experience they have.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

U.S. officials in Kabul gave the Taliban a list of names of American citizens, green card holders and Afghan allies to grant entry into the militant-controlled outer perimeter of the city’s airport, a choice that’s prompted outrage behind the scenes from lawmakers and military officials.

The move, detailed to POLITICO by three U.S. and congressional officials, was designed to expedite the evacuation of tens of thousands of people from Afghanistan as chaos erupted in Afghanistan’s capital city last week after the Taliban seized control of the country. It also came as the Biden administration has been relying on the Taliban for security outside the airport…

“Basically, they just put all those Afghans on a kill list,”   said one defense official, who like others spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive topic.   “It’s just appalling and shocking and makes you feel unclean.”

“They had to do that because of the security situation the White House created by allowing the Taliban to control everything outside the airport,” one U.S. official said.

We are trying to evacuate people because the Taliban will kill them for helping us. We then provide a list of those people to the Taliban who helped us.This is insanity.  How are people this criminally stupid allowed any sort of power?  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    3 years ago
U.S. officials in Kabul gave the Taliban a list of names of American citizens, green card holders and Afghan allies to grant entry into the militant-controlled outer perimeter of the city’s airport, a choice that’s prompted outrage behind the scenes from lawmakers and military officials.

I've been watching today's Pentagon briefing/press conference. General Hank Taylor said the opposite of what you posted, even though multiple media sources are in agreement with your comment.  So ... more lies and cover-ups from Taylor.

Kirby, Biden's SoS bumbling numbskull, said that the administration will no longer be giving us daily number updates of US military, US citizens, green card holders, SIVs, etc., who, in reality will be stranded and abandoned as of August 31, 2021. More cover-ups.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    3 years ago

It was apparently the British Embassy that left the files of Afghan employees and applicants behind.

Report: Afghan staff details left behind at UK Kabul embassy (msn.com)

Kirby, Biden's SoS bumbling numbskull, said that the administration will no longer be giving us daily number updates of US military, US citizens, green card holders, SIVs, etc., who, in reality will be stranded and abandoned as of August 31, 2021. More cover-ups.

Ross Wilson says he is in negotiations for both a limited diplomatic presence in Kabul and Taliban assurances that Americans and others will be allowed to come and go unimpeded.  The Taliban need us as much as we will need them.

Ross Wilson says reports of US embassy closing are not true | Ariana News

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.1    3 years ago
It was apparently the British Embassy that left the files of Afghan employees and applicants behind.

Oh? These MB/FC "approved" left wing sites paint a very different picture. None mention the British Embassy.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.2    3 years ago

No one mentioned the fact that 2 Britons and a UK dependent child were killed by one of the suicide bombers yet either,

Does that mean that they are alive?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.3    3 years ago

I don't play the move goal posts game.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.4    3 years ago

Sorry, I mistook you for a professional.

Moving on...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.5    3 years ago
Sorry, I mistook you for a professional.

After being presented with 5 valid left wing sites to rebut your claim, the best comment you can make is to state that I'm not a professional. So be it, SP.

Moving on...

Indeed.

shona1
PhD Quiet
7  shona1    3 years ago

So sad to hear the dreadful news this morning of the souls lost in Kabul...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @7    3 years ago

ditto

sixpick
Professor Quiet
7.2  sixpick  replied to  shona1 @7    3 years ago

These are the US service members killed in the Kabul airport attack

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  sixpick @7.2    3 years ago

Semper Fi Marines - Semper Fi.

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.2.2  shona1  replied to  sixpick @7.2    3 years ago

Anoon six...yes their photos and their history is on the news here..

Heart breaking for all concerned and all way to young..but serving their country and helping people..thank you to them for their service...🥀🇦🇺🇺🇲

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @7.2.1    3 years ago

And their Corpsman.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2.3    3 years ago

Can you take me higher

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @7.2.4    3 years ago

Sorry, I don't get your meaning.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.6  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2.5    3 years ago

Not surprised.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

We should have been gone with our Afghan friends. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

My heart to those who lost their lives.. rest well my brothers and sisters, and my deepest sympathies to their families. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

When I read that there were a bunch of University of Southern California students there, I wondered why anyone who does not HAVE to be in a really dangerous place want to go there.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    3 years ago

Oooops, I saw a headline that said Southern California students and I made the mistake that it meant University of Southern California students, it was actually Cajon Valley Union School students, who went to Afghanistan with their parents for a holiday, so I suppose it was their original nation. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1    3 years ago

From what I read, the students and their parents were visiting relatives who live in Afghanistan. Here's the most current article I could find ...

JBB
Professor Principal
11  JBB    3 years ago

So, when fucking ISIS bombs the damned Taliban in fucking Afghanistan and some Americans are killed American rightwinger blame America's President?

Talk about blaming America first! Get Outta Here!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
11.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @11    3 years ago

No....just blaming Bumbling Biden, not America

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.2  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @11    3 years ago
So, when fucking ISIS bombs the damned Taliban in fucking Afghanistan and some Americans are killed

WTF are you talking about? The embassy and US intelligence were screaming there was going to be a terrorist hit at the air port. Not in Kabul; not against Taliban positions; but against the airport where US troops were stationed; and Afghans seeking to flee were. There were far more valuable Taliban targets; with far more Taliban forces staged around them- say the Presidential Palace where the Taliban leaders are. This was terrorist hit against the US! The few Taliban the blast caught were collateral damage. Since they are such enemies, ask yourself how they got past rings of Taliban check points that have done such a great job of shutting down US citizens and Afghans that aided us from getting to the airport? Either the terrorists knew which check points were manned by those sympathetic to them hitting the US; or the Taliban are incompetent on the level of Joe Biden.

American rightwinger blame America's President?

Anyone with a brain is blaming Biden. He has fucked this up from this withdrawal from the start. His arrogance and stupidity made our best case scenario to use Karzai Airport which is not even close to being a secure facility. He made the US Marines and those they were trying to protect an easy target; and ISIS K took advantage of it. 

Talk about blaming America first!

No one is blaming America. We are blaming the weak, incompetent, moronic Joe Biden. He is unfortunately our president; but he is damn well not "America". We are going to have to remind our allies & enemies repeatedly of that in the near future.

Get Outta Here!

The left are the last ones to be telling anyone what to do. Which is it party or country? Are you going to keep a President that has damaged us at every level with every decision in power? Millions of illegal immigrants streaming across our wide open southern border; inflation; upside down unemployment and jobs numbers; higher gas prices; Covid numbers spiking all over the US; China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran pushing outwards and gaining power. The rest of the world knows Joe Biden is unfit to lead; too bad Democrats seem to have decided party will always be far more important than country.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2    3 years ago
WTF are you talking about? The embassy and US intelligence were screaming there was going to be a terrorist hit at the air port. Not in Kabul; not against Taliban positions; but against the airport where US troops were stationed;

WTF are you talking about ?  Kabul covers about 400 square miles and the airport is 2 miles from downtown and the Presidential Palace.

The ISIS people were trying to get a bomb on a plane.  Back up plan get as close as you can and detonate.

The left are the last ones to be telling anyone what to do. Which is it party or country? Are you going to keep a President that has damaged us at every level with every decision in power? Millions of illegal immigrants streaming across our wide open southern border; inflation; upside down unemployment and jobs numbers; higher gas prices; Covid numbers spiking all over the US; China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran pushing outwards and gaining power. The rest of the world knows Joe Biden is unfit to lead; too bad Democrats seem to have decided party will always be far more important than country.

You need a rest dude.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Split Personality @11.2.1    3 years ago
WTF are you talking about ?  Kabul covers about 400 square miles and the airport is 2 miles from downtown and the Presidential Palace.

So they just go lost, and had bad aim is what you are claiming?

The ISIS people were trying to get a bomb on a plane.  Back up plan get as close as you can and detonate.

Glad you can admit the truth; which is more than JBB is capable of. Seems you didn't comprehend his comment; but you sure as hell voted it up.

You need a rest dude.

I need a rest? The left needs to get a strong dose of reality. Name one thing that I posted that isn't true. But by all means keep defending the imbecile in chief. Party over country.

bugsy
Professor Participates
11.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2.2    3 years ago
Name one thing that I posted that isn't true

Well, here we are 6 hours later and not one leftist on here has been able to rebut anything which you posted.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @11.2.3    3 years ago

Remember when there was no internet? 

When left and right web sites weren't just parroting their own version of the first thing someone else published?

The original stories blasted here were 3 KIA, then 10, 11, 12,13. All USMC, then a Corpsman, then 1 Army.

I prefer to see it for myself or get it directly from someone I worked with.

Or wait for a consensus that wasn't rushed to the viewers without verification.

If the Taliban were interested in "kill lists" they would not be letting 100,000 plus people leave the country.

They could have shut down the airport a week ago and forced all foreigners to walk to Pakistan.

They didn't.

This is odd.

A calculated risk by a wiser Taliban?

Don't know yet.

Stay tuned.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2.2    3 years ago
Name one thing that I posted that isn't true.

Isn't true or isn't the vile, hateful BS of a partisan POV?

But by all means keep defending the imbecile in chief.

It's one of the inalienable rights I earned.  You too apparently.

Party over country.

Really, a personal insult?

What a waste of time....

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @11    3 years ago
fucking ISIS bombs the damned Taliban

This is what you imagine happened yesterday? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.3.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.3    3 years ago

This is what happened. ISIS inAfghanistan bombed everyone, the Taliban included. That is how truly fucked up that “country” os, there aren’t 2 sides, there aren’t 3 sides, there are 50 fucking sides and they all hate each other.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.3.2  Split Personality  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.3.1    3 years ago

29 minutes ago "we" used a drone to destroy an ISIS target.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

This was ISIS in Afghanistan, yes apparently there is such a thing and they and the Taliban hate each other. This kinda shit is why we were never going to “succeed”. 
My sympathies to the families of those killed.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.1  Split Personality  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12    3 years ago

Amen.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13  Jasper2529    3 years ago
"Casualties are unclear at this time," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said.
Here you go, Johnnie boy ... LOOK at their young faces and SAY THEIR NAMES. You, your boss, and other top eunuchs are responsible for their deaths.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @13    3 years ago

How about the 190 Afghani's and 3 UK citizens? 

From all of the outrage about 13 fallen heroes, you would think they were the only lives that mattered