╌>

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow flamed for not deleting false tweet about Oklahoma hospitals: 'Queen of misinformation's

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  37 comments

By:   Brandon Gillespie (Fox News)

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow flamed for not deleting false tweet about Oklahoma hospitals: 'Queen of misinformation's
MSNBC host Rachel Maddow was excoriated on social media this week after failing to delete a tweet containing false information about hospitals in Oklahoma being overrun with coronavirus patients overdosing on Ivermectin, a parasite-fighting medication that can also be sold over the counter as a veterinary drug.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow was excoriated on social media this week after failing to delete a tweet containing false information about hospitals in Oklahoma being overrun with coronavirus patients overdosing on Ivermectin, a parasite-fighting medication that can also be sold over the counter as a veterinary drug.

Maddow was previously criticized over the Thursday tweet, along with a number of other media figures, for spreading the false story without verifying it's authenticity after the hospital system in question denied the source's claim that people were being treated for the overdoses.

The story, which was originally reported at Oklahoma's KFOR-TV news, quoted testimony from Dr. Jason McElyea claiming that hospitals in a rural part of Oklahoma were being overrun with patients overdosing on the drug, causing gunshot victims to have to wait to be treated.

It was later deemed false after the Northeastern Hospital System denied any patients were treated for overdoses from the drug and that McElyea hadn't actually worked at one of the hospitals in question for two months.

Critics blasted Maddow on Twitter and questioned why her tweet still existed despite the claims in the article she referenced being debunked.

"Why haven't you issued a retraction Rachel? It's one thing to make a mistake, it's quite another to purposefully keep a lie alive," wrote Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas.

Fox News contributor Joe Concha expressed urgency to remove the inaccurate post by pointing out the number of likes and retweets it had already received.

In addition to questioning why Maddow's tweet was still up and hadn't been removed by Twitter, journalist Glenn Greenwald suggested it was actually dangerous to her followers because a person needing urgent care could read it and inaccurately believe emergency rooms near them were full.

Another critic referred to Maddow as "the queen of misinformation," while another, who claimed to be one of her fans, called on her to issue a retraction because it was undermining her credibility to leave up the tweet.

The CDC has warned against the use of Ivermectin to treat the coronavirus, issuing a statement cautioning Americans that it is not an approved drug for its treatment or prevention.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

I thought social media outlets were going to delete misinformation?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

Some seem to think that liberals can't ever be wrong.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 years ago

I wonder if we still have the false claim on our front page?   It's not really a good testimonial to this organization.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    3 years ago

... more journalistic integrity in her little finger than the top dozen trump ass-lickers posing as journalists in the alt-right media combined.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3    3 years ago

So now we know that you think deliberately leaving a post up that has been proven to be false is "journalistic integrity".

THAT kind if fucked-up thinking has got us to this point.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

prove it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    3 years ago

You JUST fucking wrote it.

Post 3, remember writing it about 46 minutes ago??????

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2  Jack_TX  replied to  devangelical @3    3 years ago
more journalistic integrity in her little finger than the top dozen trump ass-lickers posing as journalists in the alt-right media combined.

She's not a journalist.  She's merely the left wing version of Hannity or Carlson.

She has zero journalistic integrity, simply based on her raving bias alone, which is fine because she's not actually a journalist.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    3 years ago

Didn't Dorsey ban others for tweeting false information?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Sunshine @4    3 years ago

Didn't Dorsey ban others for tweeting false information?

What kind of false information?  Specifically...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1    3 years ago

Read the article............

"a tweet containing false information about hospitals in Oklahoma being overrun with coronavirus patients overdosing on Ivermectin, a parasite-fighting medication that can also be sold over the counter as a veterinary drug."

You're welcome

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.1    3 years ago
You're welcome

Read my question closer, and look at the comment I posted my question about (hint: I quoted the pertinent part of the comment).

Then, go ahead and try to answer my question.  Hopefully next time you will answer the actual question I asked.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.2    3 years ago

And I gave you an example of what kind of false information.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1    3 years ago

Any further questions?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.3    3 years ago

And I gave you an example of what kind of false information.

When I ask how much an elephant weighs, and your answer is "blue", it does not answer the question, just like your answer has nothing to do with my question.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.4    3 years ago
Any further questions?

Yes.  When are you going to answer MY question, and not some random question you decide to come up with.  See my "elephant" example above.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.6    3 years ago

Your question was answered in the article. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.7    3 years ago
Your question was answered in the article.

"Blue" huh?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.8    3 years ago

In black & white.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5  Hallux    3 years ago

False?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @5    3 years ago

definition of beclown 

1. to make a fool of , to make into a clown , to clown around, make a fool of oneself 

2.  a conservative political posture

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.2  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @5    3 years ago

Didn't read the article did you?

It isn't about Covid cases taking up beds; it is about Madcow lying about people overdosing on Ivermectin trying to treat Covid 19 cases, and because of that (not Covid 19) blocking access for patients with gun shot wounds and other needs.

So yes, it is true- Madcow lied; and her sheeple are now trying to spin her lie as hard as they can.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Ronin2 @5.2    3 years ago
Didn't read the article did you?

Apparently didn't even bother to read the title.  How lazy can one get?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2.2  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @5.2    3 years ago

I did read the article as I always do and as I always do went deeper. My apologies for not sticking to the shallow end of the pool. I know it's your comfort zone.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @5.2.2    3 years ago
My apologies for not sticking to the shallow end of the pool

So lying is the deep end?  You must think Donald Trump is the smartest man ever. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2.4  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.3    3 years ago

In my field I have met many Donald Trumps most of whom were very smart and many like him were lying narcissistic sociopaths.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.3  Split Personality  replied to  Hallux @5    3 years ago

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @5.3    3 years ago

I Mississippi , which has one of the lowest rates of vaccination against the coronavirus, the  state Department of Health  issued an alert about the surge in calls to poison control in August. The department said that at least  70%  of recent calls to the state poison control center were related to people who ingested a version of the drug meant for livestock.

Please stop spreading fake news. Rachel Maddow doesn't need your help.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.3.2  Sunshine  replied to  Split Personality @5.3    3 years ago

Again...false information reported in your link.

Poison Control Centers Are Fielding A Surge Of Ivermectin Overdose Calls | Public Radio Tulsa

In  Mississippi , which has one of the lowest rates of vaccination against the coronavirus, the  state Department of Health  issued an alert about the surge in calls to poison control in August. The department said that at least  70%  of recent calls to the state poison control center were related to people who ingested a version of the drug meant for livestock.

Associated Press Adds Embarrassing Correction To Article Claiming 70% Of Calls To Mississippi Poison Control Were About Ivermectin Ingestion | The Daily Wire

The AP issued the following correction to its article:

In an article published Aug. 23, 2021, about people taking livestock medicine to try to treat coronavirus, The Associated Press erroneously reported based on information provided by the Mississippi Department of Health that 70% of recent calls to the Mississippi Poison Control Center were from people who had ingested ivermectin to try to treat COVID-19. State Epidemiologist Dr. Paul Byers said Wednesday the number of calls to poison control about ivermectin was about 2%. He said of the calls that were about ivermectin, 70% were by people who had ingested the veterinary version of the medicine.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sunshine @5.3.2    3 years ago

Ain't nothing like providing the TRUTH.

Thanks!

I just don't get how people are still being bamboozled by these false stories. Can they not read, comprehend, and do any research at all on their own? 

Why must they always swallow the swill so willingly and be dupes for the media?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sunshine @5.3.2    3 years ago

The correction was issued August 25..  The fake claim is still appearing in left wing news 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.3.4    3 years ago

Progressives seem to LOVE them some fake news.

I wonder how many MORE links and articles we'll get from those still believing it is all true, even after seeing proof and multiple corrections.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.3.6  Split Personality  replied to  Sunshine @5.3.2    3 years ago

Good catch. 

Now maybe you can get Public Radio Tulsa to do a retraction

to their archived story from 09/04/2021

like Breitbart or Info Wars would.  /s

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.3.7  Sunshine  replied to  Split Personality @5.3.6    3 years ago

So you used a source you say is similar to Brietbart.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.3.8  Split Personality  replied to  Sunshine @5.3.7    3 years ago

No, not what I said at all, lol,

but keep trying to be cute.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.3.9  Sunshine  replied to  Split Personality @5.3.8    3 years ago

Seems you where the one tryin’ to be a cutie and throwing in some deflection.