╌>

McDonald's Customer Dies in Freak Drive-Thru Accident

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  30 comments

By:   MSN

McDonald's Customer Dies in Freak Drive-Thru Accident
The driver was unable to free himself from the vehicle as he was "pinned between the vehicle door and frame," police said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man was killed when he was pinned by his own car while going through a McDonald's drive-thru on Wednesday morning.

© Tim Boyle/Getty Images File photo: A car picks up an order at the drive-thru window of a McDonald's in Illinois. A man was killed while going through a McDonald's drive-thru when his car rolled forward, pinning him, Vancouver Police said.

The man was paying for his order when he dropped his bank card at around 5:30 a.m. at the Vancouver restaurant, police said.

Surveillance footage showed the driver reaching to pick up the item when the vehicle rolled forward, colliding into a "structural piece" of the drive-thru, the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) said in a statement released later that day.

The driver was unable to free himself from the vehicle as he was "pinned between the vehicle door and frame," the statement added.

Officers were called by Vancouver Fire Rescue Services to the McDonald's on Main and Terminal streets to assist with a single-car collision, however the man reportedly died at the scene. Members of his family and restaurant staff witnessed his death, police said.

"Efforts were made by first responders to revive the man, but tragically, he died on scene," Constable Tania Visintin with the VPD said in a news release. "This is an absolutely heartbreaking scenario. Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of this man."

The VPD's Collision Investigation Unit and BC Coroner Services are now investigating.

Newsweek has contacted the Vancouver Police Department for comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

There are times it just doesn't make sense to get out of bed in the morning.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

he got his egg mcmuffined.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

You never know when a little thing is about to become a big thing. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

I had something like that happen to me at a service station gas pump; sometimes you just get too many thoughts crossed at once and you feet comes up. Well, some people are just not that coordinated and disaster strikes. I felt betrayed in the moment, because my car tried to 'take off' like a bat out of hell. . . . It's also a way in which some people "cross signals" and rear-end the car in front. Damn that braking technique where you 'brake steady.'

It may be that a sign at the check out window warns drivers to "Please place vehicle in Park" due to chance of ramming.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  CB @2.1    3 years ago

I blame TiG! (Chuckles.) Real deal. What I am about to share.

Well, to illustrate how these online discussions can translate into the real world (yea, we all know we pick up stuff on here even when we don't admit it jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif ) as an old. . .er guy now I seem to have developed a thing for drummin; to drumlines in songs while actively driving and sitting at red-lights. It's something that I picked up from Tig's love of sensational drum skills and players.

I wonder how could I "get it" this interest in drumming at my age? Maybe I can get 'good' enough to launch a new care—nah!

There have been a few times that I am sitting at the stop-light and I imagine the city cameras are looking at the "dude" who drove all the way down the 'city-camera way' getting enthused beating the thunk out of his steering wheel. I mean, I am into it.

So I stop at red lights and every one in a while I have to mindful of that tricky (complex) BASS-DRUM part, where you "thuddin' away, and you lift the wrong food and car lurches a scant hair-length before uh-uh catches on. I'd imagine the driver in front of me is looking and saying awful words about the 'freak' getting off behind him or her! It would be disastrous (for me) if I confuse the brake pedal with the accelerator on one of my drum 'tirades.'

I blame TiG! But don't worry Tig! I got great comprehensive (AAA) in California!

Seriously, because of the imagery I can see in my head, I pull back on practicing my bass drumming on the floorboards!

(Outrageous chuckling.)

REAL STORY. Oh, it's true, it's true. Mm-hmm.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3  Dismayed Patriot    3 years ago

I won't be surprised when the family of this man sues McDonalds for the 'hazard' of a stick out window that 'caused' the door to close on the man even though it was his own fault for not putting the vehicle in park as he opened his door and reached down to retrieve his bank card. And sadly, they'll likely settle out of court for a few million and all McDonalds drive throughs will have to be remodeled to prevent this type of tragedy in the future.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    3 years ago
and reached down to retrieve his bank card.

Which he dropped

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

While I feel bad for the man and his family, this guy is a Darwin Award winner. You gotta put that vehicle in park before you open your door. That's just common sense. Hell, I put my car in park when I'm at the window of a drive-thru. You never know when your foot may slip from the brake and tear either your arm off or the person handing you your food/change.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 years ago

I put it park too. because I almost did something like this once long ago.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @4.1    3 years ago

Valuable lesson learned, eh?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    3 years ago

damn butter fingered cashier...

Professor Guide
4.1.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1    3 years ago
because I almost did something like this once long ago.

Details, please.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.3    3 years ago

punk fumbles my $20 dollar bill at the window. I opened the car door to see it and when I reach down my foot comes off the brake. I roll forward slightly and jump on the brake. I turn out a few feet, put it in park, get out and grab my $20 off the ground. I walk back a few feet to the window to hand the punk the money. he shorts my change by $3 and I help him with his math. he asks me to pull forward and they would bring my order out to me. moments later I watch as punk #2 goes car to car with my order looking for me. another day in paradise.

Professor Guide
4.1.5  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1.4    3 years ago
he shorts my change by $3 and I help him with his math.

HA!  I can just hear it now...  "Wassup, butterfingers?  And PS:  If anybody in this scenario deserves a little sump'n-sump'n for their trouble, it's me."  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.5    3 years ago

the guy behind me in line is laughing as he watches the whole thing play out...

bccrane
Freshman Silent
4.2  bccrane  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 years ago

I don't just put it in park, I also shut it off.  Kind of a force of habit, shhh, lack of muffler.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  bccrane @4.2    3 years ago

That's even better than putting it park. Unless you have it in neutral...which I'm sure you don't. :)

Professor Guide
4.2.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    3 years ago
Unless you have it in neutral...which I'm sure you don't.

Nothing about (or on) Dev is in neutral.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.2    3 years ago

hubba hubba

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Oddly enough this isn’t the first time this has happened.

preliminary reports indicate the man may have dropped some change outside of his black pickup, opened up the door and reached out to get it, then got caught between the vehicle door and a pole.

Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    3 years ago

Wouldn't it suck if all he dropped was a nickel and 4 pennies?

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    3 years ago

When I was a teenager I was in an accident with a couple of friends of mine.

He was driving and back then we didn't wear seatbelts.

He leaned over to reach for a kleenex and when he did he turned the wheel with him and we ran into a telephone pole.

He was a horrible driver though. One time he ran into a store...

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Ender @6    3 years ago

... were drugs or alcohol involved?

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Ender  replied to  devangelical @6.1    3 years ago

Not at that time...Haha

shona1
PhD Quiet
7  shona1    3 years ago

Morning..sorry the guy has lost his life...but I have always said eating Macca's crap would kill you...

The only decent thing that comes out of that joint is their coffee...

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  shona1 @7    3 years ago

I do like their coffee, especially the $1 for a large cup variety...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @7.1    3 years ago

There are days I would kill somebody for some McD's fries.

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.1.2  shona1  replied to  devangelical @7.1    3 years ago

Morning..for a small take away cappuccino here best part of $4...

Not been there for yonks (ages) so had to google their prices...

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.1.3  shona1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.1    3 years ago

Morning Sandy..I would gladly give them to you..

Chips are heaps better than fries...even KFC chips aren't to bad... Macca's pass...

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    3 years ago

I am so sad over this loss of a man's life and his family members and store clerks were compelled to see it. It is stomach-churning. It is not what these young people come to work to see, and the hours of the day (5 A.M.) is just 'crushing' on the senses all around. Uh-uh, Lord, uh-uh. The mind revolts!