╌>

Spielberg's West Side Story Is Ready

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

Spielberg's West Side Story Is Ready

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When the most famous director in film history remakes a classic that won 10 Academy Awards 60 years ago, the expectations are high.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

As I watched this trailer, one thing kept going through my mind - why are they remaking the original? 

Its not that anything about the 2021 Spielberg version seems lacking, its that it seems totally unnecessary. Nothing in this trailer seems to indicate an improvement on the original film. 

I should say though that the new film will get a large audience that has never seen the original (some people will NEVER watch a 60 year old movie for any reason) , I look at the new footage and it doesnt seem to offer anything that isnt in the version that won 10 oscars. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
I look at the new footage and it doesnt seem to offer anything that isnt in the version that won 10 oscars. 

There is one HUGE benefit:  It's message is relevant, perhaps more so now than in 1961.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I’m also somewhat dubious. I’m sure Spielberg can make a good movie, of course, but I feel like some things don’t need to be remade. For example, I wouldn’t remake Wizard of Oz.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @1.2    3 years ago
but I feel like some things don’t need to be remade.

Not only that, some things cannot be remade. Remember the Ghostbusters remake? Movies like that and Back to the Future, as another example, are already perfect and are untouchable.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2  Hallux    3 years ago

Sorry Steven but Rita Moreno is an irreplaceable Goddess.

Professor Guide
2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Hallux @2    3 years ago

I love her to death.  A pip-and-a-half, she is.  She was on Steven Colbert show a few months ago.  If I didn't already know her age, there isn't a person on this planet that could convince me she is 89-years-old.  

In case you missed it:

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1    3 years ago

She's in the new movie. 1:50 mark on the trailer. 

Professor Guide
2.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 years ago

She's also an executive producer.