╌>

Poll: majority now believe that Joe Biden is kind of an idiot

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  234 comments

By:   Becket Adams

Poll: majority now believe that Joe Biden is kind of an idiot
President Joe Biden's presidency is not going as smoothly as he probably hoped it would.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden's presidency is not going as smoothly as he probably hoped it would.

© Provided by Washington Examiner

Only 43% of respondents in a survey conducted between Sept. 13-19 believe the phrase "mentally sharp" describes Biden "well."

This represents an 11-point drop from March, when Pew found 54% of respondents said "mentally sharp" was a fitting descriptor for the president.

On top of the border crisis, cratering approval numbers, infighting among congressional Democrats, incompetent federal health officials bumbling their way through the coronavirus pandemic, and the chaotic, disorderly withdrawal from Afghanistan, there's also a growing consensus the president is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, according to new Pew Research Center polling data.

A majority of respondents in Pew's most recent survey (56%) said "mentally sharp" either describes him "not at all well" or "not too well."

As if the steep decline in public opinion of the president's smarts was not embarrassing enough, it turns out Biden's mental acuity specifically is where Pew found the sharpest drop in all of his polled personal characteristics.

"Positive evaluations of several of Biden's personal traits and characteristics have shown similar decreases," Pew reports. "Compared with March, fewer adults say Biden cares about people like them, and fewer describe him as standing up for his beliefs, honest, a good role model and mentally sharp."

It adds, "Biden receives his least positive assessments for being mentally sharp. Currently, 43% say this describes Biden very or fairly well, an 11-point decline since March."

Put more simply, the longer the president is in office, the dumber people think he is. And it's likely not because of any single issue. The White House is the major leagues, as a former vice president, of all people, ought to know. His every move and action is now under scrutiny. He has to think on his feet and respond in real-time to real-life crises. The public can see now how Biden comports himself as the commander in chief. It's not just a theoretical game anymore. He can't just promise to do better than the last guy. He is actually expected to deliver, and to deliver competently and efficiently.

So far, the public apparently isn't impressed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

I bet the WH is in a tizzy, trying to figure out how to stop the bleeding before the midterms.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

According to our local "expert" we shouldn't count on the mid terms. You know the old stick your fingers in your ears and yell la la la la la la la.

Tunnel vision and wishful thinking ...........and stupid.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago
I bet the WH is in a tizzy

Was the Trump administration "in a tizzy" when those who actually knew and worked for the Donald had such a low view of him?

He's “like an 11-year-old child”— Steve Bannon.

Working with Trump is “like trying to figure out what a child wants”—White House deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh

“The White House has become an adult day care center”—Republican senator Bob Corker of Tennessee

“Morally unfit to be president,” “unethical” and “untethered to truth”—former FBI director James Comey, who also compared the US president to a mafia boss.

“Less a person than a collection of terrible traits” "an idiot surrounded by clowns" and he's "dumb as shit" —Trump’s former chief economic adviser Gary Cohn.

He's "a fucking moron" - former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson

"An idiot with the intelligence of a kindergartner" - former National Security advisor HR McMasters

He's "an idiot" - former chief of staff John Kelly

It's rather funny that conservatives would be clamoring to ridicule our current President because of a poll of people that don't know him personally and aren't ever in the same room with him that think he's "kind of an idiot" when nearly every person who actually got to know the former President that most conservatives voted for thought of him as a moronic petulant kindergartner. Personally I'd take the "kind of an idiot" over moronic petulant kindergartner every time.

[This comment stands.  There are other comments about Trump, including some made by the seeder.  If those are on topic, so is this one.]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2    3 years ago

You'll need to ask Trump or members of his Administration.

Do you think that Trump is the topic of this article?

Pro tip:

he isn't.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.2    3 years ago
Do you think that Trump is the topic of this article?

A poll which is a snapshot in time of whether a President is an "idiot" or not invites comparisons to former Presidents. Approval ratings are compared, policies are compared, and even idiocy can be compared. Trying to pretend that this poll should be viewed in a void without any other Presidential comparisons is moronic. It would be like trying to compare chili pepper heat with only one pepper. How can you determine how hot it is? By just saying "Well right now, without tasting any other peppers, 56% of people say this pepper is the hottest"?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.2    3 years ago

But biden supporters and voters are immune to criticism here unlike Trump supporters and voters who are fair game for whatever comes to the minds of our domestic political opposition.  

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2  JaneDoe    3 years ago

Wonder how many think he is just a full blown idiot as opposed to kind of an idiot 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JaneDoe @2    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2  Dulay  replied to  JaneDoe @2    3 years ago

It's impossible to tell based on the poll data since the term 'idiot' wasn't actually used in the questions. But hey, making up bullshit is the RW way...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2    3 years ago

She didn't say anything about the poll.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    3 years ago

We know President Biden is not an idiot. We know who must have been polled to reach that bogus conclusion.   

Some folks are dreaming about the midterms (or in serious denial)!  Dream on!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago
We know President Biden is not an idiot.  

Opinions on that will vary

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JaneDoe @3.1    3 years ago

That’s for sure! I’m all in that he is an idiot. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

You and what other person?

Being gullible isn't a good trait.

I will be here the day after the midterms--will you??

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

He may not be a total idiot, but he has certainly so far not proved himself up to the task regardless of what many Democrats think.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.4  MonsterMash  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

Idiots don't think Idiots are idiots.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3.4.1  Gazoo  replied to  MonsterMash @3.4    3 years ago

Lmao!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.4.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  MonsterMash @3.4    3 years ago

Exactly!  You said it so perfectly well and you are 100% correct. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

The majority now seems to regret voting for Biden.

Hopefully, we can rein him in after the midterm shellacking the Dems will get.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @5    3 years ago

yeah, good luck with that, after the orange menace finishes off splitting the republican party in two. bummer.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @5.1    3 years ago
yeah, good luck with that, after the orange menace finishes off splitting the republican party in two. bummer.

Don't need luck when history is on your side.

A shellacking it will be, and be sure to come by for a healthy serving of crow the day after the midterms!

Say, do you want fries with your crow?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @5.1    3 years ago

The majority of us do not regret voting for Joe.  They seem to think were going to take a shellacking in the midterms.  If I was a betting person I would lay good money on that not being the case

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.1.3  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.2    3 years ago

See 5.2, no doubt that the majority of Democrats don't regret their vote but I think the majority of the rest of America does....

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.2    3 years ago

And there is a better than average possibility you would lose your money.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  GregTx @5.1.3    3 years ago

So you're saying that more than half of Americans would vote for Trump if they could vote again, even though he tried to steal the election , incited a riot at the national capitol, tried to extort votes from the Georgia Secretary of State, and lied about the election for 10 months running.  

Wow. 

Our country must be more fucked than anyone realizes. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  GregTx @5.1.3    3 years ago

The trumpturd supporters, yes

Sane reasonable intelligent decent people, no.  We don't support steaming piles of shit like whatshisname

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.5    3 years ago

Did you see the Woodward and Costa interview on the Late Show Tuesday?

They stated that whatshisname and his supporters are the problem. They are the peril that remains.  

The big lie and those who believe it and support that worthless steaming pile of shit are the problem.

It's a global problem.

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.1.8  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.5    3 years ago

No that's not what I said.

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.1.9  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.5    3 years ago

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.2  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @5    3 years ago
While Biden's Gallup approval rating has dipped among self-described Democrats – from 98% in January to 90% today – and Republicans – from 12% to 6% – the president has lost the most traction with Americans affiliated with neither party. Gallup found 37% of independents approve of Biden's job performance, a sharp 24-point drop form his personal high of 61%. He's lost the support of two-thirds of these independent detractors in just the last three months.

Inside Biden's falling poll numbers: 5 reasons why the president's approval ratings have dropped (msn.com)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @5.2    3 years ago

Yes, and history tells us that doesn't bode well for the President's party in the midterms.

Might be as high as a 40 seat swing in the House.

But we need only 5.

And some red states added seats through the census while some blue states lost some.

Easy-peasy.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  GregTx @5.2    3 years ago

Great post!  One that the democrats can’t respond to.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.1    3 years ago

Let’s go for 60 seats!  

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.4  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.3    3 years ago

... in the mess hall at club fed.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5    3 years ago
The majority now seems to regret voting for Biden.

Where is THAT data in the poll Tex?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3    3 years ago

some of us have the ability to read and surmise from that reading.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.2  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.1    3 years ago

Some of us prefer FACTS over fantasy. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.2    3 years ago

if you have something to say about the topic, I would like to read it.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.4  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.3    3 years ago

I asked you a question about the topic. As per your practice, you ignored it. 

BTW Tex. you know that the seed cited in the poll doesn't say anything about Biden being an idiot right? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.4    3 years ago

I can't help anyone that has to be told Biden is an idiot.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.6  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.5    3 years ago
I can't help anyone that has to be told Biden is an idiot.

I don't need any help to recognize deflection Tex. 

You know that the headline of your seed is bullshit. Just admit it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.6    3 years ago

I said I couldn't help anyone who doesn't know the difference. I said nothing about deflecting.

I'll let you worry over the words in the headlines.

the article is spot on.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.8  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.7    3 years ago
I said I couldn't help anyone who doesn't know the difference.

Actually you didn't Tex. Why lie? 

I said nothing about deflecting.

No, you deflected. 

I'll let you worry over the words in the headlines.

Oh I never expected you to have an issue with the headline of your seed being a lie Tex.  

the article is spot on.

No Tex, it's a bias RW interpretation of ONE data point in a Pew survey with a bunch of unrelated blather tacked on. In short, typical of RW discourse. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.9  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.8    3 years ago

if you have to be told that Biden is an idiot, I can't help you, nor am I interested in your opinion of the headline or article.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.10  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.9    3 years ago
nor am I interested in your opinion of the headline or article.

Wow, what a difference a day makes:

if you have something to say about the topic, I would like to read it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.10    3 years ago

Yep, after reading your inane posts, I changed my mind.

Not interested in more bullshit.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.12  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.11    3 years ago

My posts stating that the headline of your seed is a lie is neither insane nor bullshit Tex. Any member can review the actual poll can prove that to themselves.

The fact that your seed is predicated by a lie illustrates an utter lack of credibility. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.13  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.12    3 years ago

More inane bullshit.

Thanks, I have had enough if it from you.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.14  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.13    3 years ago

Not bullshit Tex. I invite 'our readers' to judge for themselves. 

Oh and I will post as I please. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.15  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.14    3 years ago

All bullshit, all the time.

Sure, you can post, no one said otherwise.

I don't care, I can ignore them!

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.15    3 years ago

And not have the last word? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.15    3 years ago

There are a couple of interesting things about the seeding of the article. 

First of all, the seeded link isnt there anymore. It seems MSN took the article down. 

Secondly, the article , which originated on the Washington Examiner, a right wing newspaper, is an opinion piece, hence the inflammatory headline. 

Normally, news articles that report poll results dont editorialize or categorize poll results in the manner this article does.  There was no poll question about Biden being an idiot, that is the writers language. 

So first of all, there is now no link for the article, and the actual article is an opinion piece and is so labeled by the Washington Examiner, but on NT is it is labeled incorrectly as NEWS. 

Majority now believe that Joe Biden is kind of an idiot: Poll | Washington Examiner

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.3.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.17    3 years ago
So first of all, there is no now link for the article, and the actual article is an opinion piece and is so labeled by the Washington Examiner, but on NT is it is labeled incorrectly as NEWS. 

I will fix that for accuracy. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.3.19  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.15    3 years ago

I don't either. That's why I already have him on ignore and have had for months.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.20  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.17    3 years ago

And??????

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.21  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.3.19    3 years ago

Great plan.

Which I will most cheerfully adopt!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.23  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.20    3 years ago

And ............. you mislabeled the seed.   And........  MSN , your source,  has taken the article down, perhaps because it is such an inaccurate headline. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.24  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.23    3 years ago

jrSmiley_117_smiley_image.png

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.24    3 years ago

Maybe you were sleepwalking when you seeded it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.26  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.25    3 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @5    3 years ago
The majority now seems to regret voting for Biden. Hopefully, we can rein him in after the midterm shellacking the Dems will get.

I don't regret voting for him.  He's certainly not perfect, but I knew that going in.  He is generally a calming, non-threatening presence, and we need that in the WH.  Trump spent the majority of his time as president intentionally antagonizing half the country.  It's time for that bullshit to stop.

As I've said often, I'm a big fan of gridlock.  Gridlock ensures that the stupid, highly partisan legislation gets filtered out and only the things upon which the grownups agree get passed.  I was disappointed to see both Georgia senate seats go the way they did, especially without a recount given that the margin between victory and runoff for Perdue was less than 10k votes.

On current performance, I think Democrats have a lot of work to do if they hope to maintain a majority in either chamber.  So with any luck gridlock will soon be restored.  In the meantime, we'll have to rely on the Sane Center coalition to keep anything too stupid from happening.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jack_TX @5.4    3 years ago

Jack, you stated my POV very well. I have zero regrets. I'm hoping that this country pulls aways from extremism and pulls more into the center. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.2  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @5.4    3 years ago
As I've said often, I'm a big fan of gridlock.  Gridlock ensures that the stupid, highly partisan legislation gets filtered out and only the things upon which the grownups agree get passed.

Same here.   My hope for Biden was that he would serve his single term behaving as a president (i.e. being presidential) and working on boring but necessary initiatives such as true physical infrastructure.  

Unfortunately Biden is not doing this and is (not surprisingly given the nature of partisan politics) seeking massive spending, opening the border, etc.

Gridlock is our friend given the scarcity of altruistic, responsible statespersons and abundance of opportunistic career politicians.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6  Gazoo    3 years ago

“kind of an idiot”? He was a complete idiot before his brain was swiss cheesed by old age. Now he is 110% full blown idiot

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

Kind of?  He’s a complete and total idiot.  He’s incompetent.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10  bbl-1    3 years ago

Yeah well, when one polls idiots the outcome is usually reflective of those polled.  Sounds to me like 'the red state runs' if you get the drift.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @10    3 years ago

oh, so bad poll numbers just means idiots were polled?

sure explains a lot of the last 5 years.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

Great article! So good that real cleat politics listed it today

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12  Gsquared    3 years ago
Majority Now Believe That Joe Biden Is Kind Of An Idiot

To the contrary, the majority know for a fact that those who believe Joe Biden is an idiot are idiots.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @12    3 years ago

Pee Wee Herman defense, eh?

Outstanding!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

05-fireman-li-1080-390x220.jpg

A.F. BrancoSeptember 27, 2021

A.F. Branco Cartoon – Fire Marshal Joe

Biden says he’s addressing the Crisis and disasters he’s created only to make them worse. Political cartoon by A.F. Branco…

Read More »