╌>

Judge declines to dismiss Eddy Grant's lawsuit against Trump for using 'Electric Avenue'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  37 comments

By:   Jordan Williams (MSN)

Judge declines to dismiss Eddy Grant's lawsuit against Trump for using 'Electric Avenue'
A New York federal judge declined to dismiss musician Eddy Grant's lawsuit against former President Trump for using his song "Electric Avenue" in a video posted to Twitter last year.U.S. District Judge John Koeltl issued an order on Tuesday denying Trump's motion to dismiss the suit, finding that the defendant failed to argue that the song was fair use.In the ruling, Koeltl said the song was featured in over two-thirds of the video and plays...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A New York federal judge declined to dismiss musician Eddy Grant's lawsuit against former President Trump for using his song "Electric Avenue" in a video posted to Twitter last year.

© The Hill Judge declines to dismiss Eddy Grant's lawsuit against Trump for using 'Electric Avenue'

U.S. District Judge John Koeltl issued an order on Tuesday denying Trump's motion to dismiss the suit, finding that the defendant failed to argue that the song was fair use.

In the ruling, Koeltl said the song was featured in over two-thirds of the video and plays "no discernible role in communicating the video's overarching political commentary."

"The video's overarching political purpose does not automatically make this use transformative, and the other fair use factors also favor the plaintiffs at this stage," the suit claims.

Grant filed the suit against Trump and his re-election campaign in September 2020 alleging copyright infringement after Trump posted a video to his Twitter account on Aug. 12 attacking then-presidential nominee Joe Biden.

The animated video included "Electric Avenue" in the background. The video also featured a train with the Trump campaign's logo followed by a railroad handcar that Biden manually operates.

Twitter removed the video following a copyright claim from Grant.

Trump's attorneys filed a motion to dismiss the suit in November, writing the purpose of the video was not to disseminate the song, but for satire.

"A reasonable observer would perceive that the Animation uses the Song for a comedic, political purpose - a different and transformed purpose from that of the original Song," the motion reads. "Moreover, in light of the obvious comedic or satirical nature of the Animation, a reasonable observer would regard the Animation as criticism or commentary."

The Hill has reached out to a spokesperson for Trump for comment on the ruling.

Grant was one of several artists to push back on Trump for his use of music. Other include Neil Young, The Rolling Stones, and Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

My dude just can't catch a break.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

... and the hits just keep coming...

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago
... and the hits just keep coming...

And there isn't a more worthy recipient on this planet.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    3 years ago

wait until eric inadvertently throws daddy under the bus, if he hasn't already...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

I hope that steaming pile of shit is facing civil lawsuits and any other lawsuits coming his way for the rest of his life.  He'll be ducking and dodging subpoenas from now until he's dead or will be behind bars, whichever comes first I'm cool with

Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    3 years ago
He'll be ducking and dodging subpoenas from now until he's dead or will be behind bars, whichever comes first I'm cool with

Me, too.  I also hope there will be an opportunity for the people he screwed out of their money, be it small business contractors or his own hourly wage employees, to recoup at least a little of what they are owed.  Maybe some of the people whose reputations he ruined with his lies and other bullshit, are either reinstated to their positions, or at the very least, given some kind of monetary compensation straight from his pocket.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Satire?

What idiot in the trmp campaign had the intelligence to use satire...or even define the word?

Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago
Satire?

I know, right?  When one has no defense, why not throw several different kinds of shit at the wall to see what sticks. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Hahahaha, another loss.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

It's going to make a long list one day

Professor Guide
3.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    3 years ago
It's going to make a long list one day

And soon, I hope.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    3 years ago

on a side note, I remember when this song was an MTV hit. I hated hearing this song and I hated the simplistic music video. I'm glad he's defending his copyright and suing the orange menace for stealing from him though.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1  Veronica  replied to  devangelical @4    3 years ago

I didn't like it either, BUT go Eddy...

Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4    3 years ago

It's not one of my personal favorites.  The downside is that I've had the damn thing in my head since reading the article. I have no intention of suffering alone.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2    3 years ago

They used to do this stupid line dance at the NCO club when they played this song. I never did learn it

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    3 years ago

no comment.

Professor Guide
4.2.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    3 years ago

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Veronica  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2    3 years ago

GEEEEZZZZ thanks.... it is now running around in my head....

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.5  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2    3 years ago

I'm am not clicking on that video. I could have produced that shit with the money I have in my front pocket.

Professor Guide
4.2.6  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Veronica @4.2.4    3 years ago
GEEEEZZZZ thanks.... it is now running around in my head....

I refuse to suffer alone.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.2.7  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    3 years ago

I thought that was the "Electric Slide"???

Professor Guide
4.2.8  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.2.5    3 years ago
I could have produced that shit with the money I have in my front pocket.

Actually, you can't   I went shopping and took your pants with me...wallet and all.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @4.2.7    3 years ago

You know what? You're right.

I can't tell one stupid song from another

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.8    3 years ago

Did you leave him handcuffed to the bed . . . .again?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.11  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.9    3 years ago

no comment.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.12  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.10    3 years ago

no need. if she's focused, I can't walk for 5 hours and besides, she mops the hardwoods with wesson oil to hinder any escape attempts and rolls up the throw rug upon her exit. she handed me the TV remote, and there's half a can of chocolate fudge frosting left, so no big deal.

Professor Guide
4.2.13  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.10    3 years ago
Did you leave him handcuffed to the bed . . . .again?

Film at 11:00.  24-hour streaming upon request.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.14  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.3    3 years ago

the antidote?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.15  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.13    3 years ago

crap. so that's why you insisted on wearing that lone ranger mask and red hair wig...

Professor Guide
4.2.16  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.14    3 years ago
the antidote?

Ha!!!!

Professor Guide
4.2.17  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.2.15    3 years ago
crap. so that's why you insisted on wearing that lone ranger mask and red hair wig...

A disguise is contingent upon the amount of current flab jiggle, combined with the length of time since my last tanning salon visit.    

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @4.2.11    3 years ago

That's the second time you said that to me

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.19  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.18    3 years ago

Could he be confusing you with the ostrich?

LMAO!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.19    3 years ago

I think he's having fun with my memory loss

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.21  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.20    3 years ago

I'm biting my lip.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.22  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @4.2.21    3 years ago