╌>

A warning sign for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Lauren Dezenski (MSN)

A warning sign for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott
A new poll finds cause for concern for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who is seeking reelection in 2022.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A new poll finds cause for concern for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who is seeking reelection in 2022.

• A historic job approval drop: The GOP governor's job approval rating among registered voters is underwater for the first time since 2018, according to polling from Quinnipiac University, finding 44% of Texans approve of Abbott's work as governor while 47% disapprove.
  • 51% say he does not deserve reelection: When Texas voters are asked about Abbott's reelection prospects, a slight majority (51%) say he does not deserve to be reelected; 42% say he does.
  • That disapproval grew in the last three months: Compare that with June, when voters were split at 48% saying he did not deserve reelection while 46% said he did.

Let's go over what happened this summer: Abbott codified laws restricting abortion and banning government vaccine mandates, and grappling with a surge of migrants at the US-Mexico border, among other issues.

Voters give Abbott a thumbs down on his handling of all three hot-button issues:

• Situation at the Mexican border: 43% approve, 46% disapprove.
  • Response to the coronavirus: 46% approve, 50% disapprove.
  • Abortion: 37% approve, 53% disapprove.

Abbot does get a thumbs up on the economy. A solid 53% of voters approve of his handling of the economy, while 39% disapprove.

There is a silver lining for Abbott in the Quinnipiac poll. Voters may not like him right now, but they dislike other high-profile gubernatorial prospects even more.

• 50% said they did not think Democrat (and former Senate and presidential candidate) Beto O'Rourke would make a good governor.
  • Nearly the same amount (49%) said they did not think actor Matthew McConaughey, an Austin resident and Texas native, would make a good governor. McConaughey recently said on a podcast that he is "measuring" a run, despite having no party affiliation or stated platform.

The Point: Texas voters aren't totally keen on Abbott's reelection, but so far, polling shows they dislike the alternatives even more.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Na Na Na Na

Na Na Na Na

Hey Hey Hey...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

one more power grid failure this winter should do the trick...

talk about somebody that has squandered all his political capital, and then some. putting all his eggs in the trump basket. giving the thumpers, xenophobes, gun nuts, and the racists bought and paid for legislation all in one year. I'll be shocked if he gets an official trump endorsement, even after bending over for an audit. I'll bet that coveted trump endorsement goes to somebody else in '22 and trump ends up splitting the texas gop.

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago
I'll bet that coveted trump endorsement goes to somebody else in '22 and trump ends up splitting the texas gop.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit.  But let's hope that by then, the 'coveted Trump endorsement' will be circling the bowl and waiting for that final flush.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

Hate to burst the bubble, but if he loses, it will probably be to a more conservative Republican.

That 51% who say he does not deserve re-election includes people who think he's a "RINO".  As much as they dislike Abbott, they're not going to let a Democrat take the State House.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

They don't like Matt? What the hell is wrong with Texans?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

fortunately, not all texans are fucked in the head, but the ones that are can usually be identified with relative ease thru audio and visual clues.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2.1    3 years ago

Yes, I know not all of them are crazy and stupid. But Texas needs more of the normal ones

Professor Guide
2.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

I'd vote for him in a minute...based on looks and abs alone.

R.9ed2a0ec4c77c127f25b8b41a4c69c61?rik=QfksWFqFU5xcag&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcos.h-cdn.co%2fassets%2f16%2f23%2f768x768%2fsquare-1465481746-matthew-mcconaughey-magic-mike.jpg&ehk=p%2fjrIrGcXkb4mKo9O%2f4nbrTJRxFeMPcLVr3FC1ui0BQ%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2    3 years ago

same here!

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2    3 years ago

I now feel body shamed because of unrealistic expectations based upon our commercialized culture.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2    3 years ago

It is his arms that makes me melt.

Professor Guide
2.2.4  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @2.2.2    3 years ago
I now feel body shamed because of unrealistic expectations based upon our commercialized culture.

Everybody feels body shamed because of unrealistic expectations based upon our commercialized culture.  Even the people who have received the best medical improvements money can buy still feel body shamed.

In any event, I love you just the way you are.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Ender  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2    3 years ago

It was the naked bongo playing wasn't it...

Professor Guide
2.2.6  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ender @2.2.5    3 years ago
It was the naked bongo playing wasn't it...

I don't think he'll ever live that one down.  Nor does he want to.  

Veronica
Professor Guide
2.2.7  Veronica  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2    3 years ago

Oh YUM!!!!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

The poll numbers for him will continue downward as his most fervent supporters die from COVID.

Professor Guide
2.3.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3    3 years ago
The poll numbers for him will continue downward as his most fervent supporters die from COVID.

Are you referring to Greg Abbott, or does Matthew McConaughey have a higher than average number of friends and fans dying from Covid? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.3.1    3 years ago
Are you referring to Greg Abbott, or does Matthew McConaughey have a higher than average number of friends and fans dying from Covid?

Abbott.  McConaughey, I believe, is pro-vaccine.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Whether or not they have a chance to get rid of Abbott down there may depend entirely on who runs against him. They need a high profile candidate who is nationally known , in order to generate momentum. I would think that one of the Castro brothers

th?id=OIP.SSqItlMhF2L1_jdjPV-g8QHaE6&pid=3.1&w=300&h=300&p=0

would have the best shot at this point. 

Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago
Whether or not they have a chance to get rid of Abbott down there may depend entirely on who runs against him.

You might be right about that.  However, it's difficult for anyone down here to forget where his priorities were during the worst of the pandemic and the ice storm.  He failed the majority of Texans on both counts.  

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago

How can people say he handled the economy. He has nothing to do with the economy and how it does.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @4    3 years ago
How can people say he handled the economy. He has nothing to do with the economy and how it does

Actually, he has no small amount of influence over the Texas economy.  He's been aggressive over the years in recruiting businesses to move here.  His team is very, very good at it, and we've seen pretty good growth because of it.