╌>

Thousands of school board members urge Biden to protect them from "heinous" threats

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  39 comments

Thousands of school board members urge Biden to protect them from "heinous" threats
A group whose members include 90,000 elected school board officials around the U.S. is asking President Biden, the FBI and the Secret Service to intervene to protect members who are facing unprecedented threats in the politically charged climate surrounding debates over COVID-19 and systemic racism.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.axios.com   /school-board-threats-critical-race-theory-d99a7959-829c-48dd-b1b3-93b89760c3d2.html

Stef W. Kight 2-3 minutes

A group whose members include 90,000 elected school board officials around the U.S. is asking President Biden, the FBI and the Secret Service to intervene to protect members who are facing unprecedented threats in the politically charged climate surrounding debates over COVID-19 and systemic racism.

The big picture:   School boards are suddenly dealing with surges in   partisan candidates ,   recall efforts   and even   physical altercations.

• This request for help comes as many local, nonpartisan officials have been put at the center of policy disputes around   masking   protocols in schools and curriculum touching on   critical race theory .

Driving the news:   In a   letter today   detailing more than 20 examples of violence, harassment and intimidation, National School Boards Association president Viola Garcia and interim executive director and CEO Chip Slaven write that the "classification of these heinous actions could be the equivalent to a form of domestic terrorism and hate crimes."

• " America’s public schools and its education leaders are under an immediate threat," the letter says.
  • In one instance, they describe someone yelling a Nazi salute during a Michigan school board meeting.
  • Another example cites a person being arrested for aggravated battery at a meeting in Illinois.

Between the lines:   Garcia and Slaven say the debate over how to teach about racism in U.S. government and financial systems isn't even on point for K-12.

• "This propaganda continues despite the fact that critical race theory is not taught in public schools and remains a complex law school and graduate school subject."

What's next:   NSBA is asking for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service to find a mechanism to block threatening letters and cyberbullying targeting students, school board members and other educators.

• The association also is asking the FBI, U.S. Secret Service and the National Threat Assessment Center for expertise and resources for handling and assessing risk to schools and school boards.
  • And it's asking for the departments of Justice and Homeland Security to "examine appropriate enforceable actions against these crimes and acts of violence."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Whoever thought we'd see the day when school board members would have to be protected from right wing extremists, (er, parents) ? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Do they really think Biden and his minions are really going to do anything to protect them? They obviously don't get it that they don't rate in the overall grand scheme of things as Biden and company see it. They are just another group to be thrown under the bus by Biden in a succession of those who already have been since January of this year!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    3 years ago

Lord only knows where you dreamt that up from. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

I read the news. How about you?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    3 years ago

Try turning the page right side up next time. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 years ago

Nice come back. Does not apply, but still nice come back...

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 years ago
Try turning the page right side up next time.  

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

It's not just right wingers, but parents from all walks of life. They can only be pushed so far by the idiot leftists

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Because as the former governor of Virginia said, parents should have no say in the education of their children

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

A very sad commentary on the state of the US.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

Yep, so sad. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    3 years ago

Great that you seem to think that threats are funny, stupid is as stupid posts.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    3 years ago

He must have laughed his ass off when voting officials and their families received death threats as well as Dr Fauci.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.2    3 years ago

Poor little progressive assholes. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Maybe a 357 bodyguard is called for here.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    3 years ago

The Second Amendment works for everyone.  Castle Doctrine.  Right to protect yourself if you fear.  Right wing thugs aren't the only ones with Second Amendment protections.

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1  GregTx  replied to  bbl-1 @4    3 years ago

Now you're getting it, those amendments do work for everyone.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.2  squiggy  replied to  bbl-1 @4    3 years ago

Not so. Any out-of-state plate is fair game for violence in a may-issue state where the driver is presumed to be gun-free pickins.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.2.1  squiggy  replied to  squiggy @4.2    3 years ago

… or resident women, as well, as they face a waiting period hoping a PFA will keep their head from getting caved.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  bbl-1  replied to  squiggy @4.2.1    3 years ago

"head getting caved."  ? ?   And that means--------what?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.2    3 years ago

I think the term is caved in aka getting the shit beat out of you.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  bbl-1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.3    3 years ago

Strange.  Why would anyone say that?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.4    3 years ago

Just consider the source.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.2.6  squiggy  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.4    3 years ago

Are you being purposefully obtuse?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  bbl-1  replied to  squiggy @4.2.6    3 years ago

No.  That would be you.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    3 years ago

People are on edge everywhere.

Coming in to my office Monday morning i suddenly had two cars right on my ass.   In my driveway, on my property.   As i parked and got out of my truck two dudes preceded to get into a very animated shouting match with each other, in my office parking lot.   Road rage big time.   It was close to coming to blows when i "told them" to take it somewhere else as i was recording them with one hand and securing a hold on my concealed weapon with the other.   Both turned and started in on me.   I made it clear it was in their best interest to stop threatening me and get off my property or suffer dire consequences.   They both figured out where my right hand was, wised up and left.

Ah yes, Monday mornings in Bidens America ...... good times.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @5    3 years ago

Such a good thing things like that have never happened before...

I guess as soon as Biden is out of office, there will be no more road rage incidents...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @5.1    3 years ago

See 5.2.1

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5    3 years ago
It was close to coming to blows when i "told them" to take it somewhere else as i was recording them with one hand and securing a hold on my concealed weapon with the other.   Both turned and started in on me.   I made it clear it was in their best interest to stop threatening me and get off my property or suffer dire consequences.   They both figured out where my right hand was, wised up and left. Ah yes, Monday mornings in Bidens America ...... good times.

Im sure that was the first time such a scenario ever happened. Never happened before Jan 20 2021. jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2    3 years ago

Actually, it is the first time THAT has happened to me.

Any other snarky comments to share?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.1    3 years ago

Then I assume you would admit that your personal experiences are not necessarily

Monday mornings in Bidens America

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.2    3 years ago

[deleted]

[JR is NOT the  topic]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sparty On @5    3 years ago

Kind of makes me glad I live in an area where there are far more guns than people.  And you need a valid reason to come in.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.3    3 years ago

Yep, i would never live in a place that heavily restricts legal gun ownership.    Never 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.3    3 years ago

I live in a place like that too in Ca. of all places.   Urban coastal Ca. just  doesn’t get it…

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @5.3.1    3 years ago

They do that at the state level here but where I live we openly flout and defy such laws and local law enforcement doesn’t enforce what it doesn’t see/look for.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.3.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.3    3 years ago

Same for me. Rural small town SE Arizona right on the Mexican border. A lot of 2nd Amendment supporters from both sides of the political spectrum around here that carry.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    3 years ago

Maybe school board members should more carefully consider what they are doing if people are getting this upset with them.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  charger 383 @6    3 years ago

These school boards act ie they believe what the democrat for governor said in the most recent debate the other night regarding parents and schools