╌>

Fact check: Did the Marine who Trump brought on stage at rally actually hoist a baby over a wall at Kabul airport? - CNNPolitics

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Holmes Lybrand, Tara Subramaniam and Greg Clary (CNN)

Fact check: Did the Marine who Trump brought on stage at rally actually hoist a baby over a wall at Kabul airport? - CNNPolitics
During a rally in Georgia over the weekend, former President Donald Trump invited Lance Cpl. Hunter Clark to the stage, implying he was the Marine in a viral video who lifted a child over a wall at the airport in Kabul, Afghanistan.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Washington (CNN)During a rally in Georgia over the weekend, former President Donald Trump invited Lance Cpl. Hunter Clark to the stage, implying he was the Marine in a viral video who lifted a child over a wall at the airport in Kabul, Afghanistan.

"We're also honored to be joined by one of the Marines who bravely served in Kabul during the withdrawal," Trump said, "and helped evacuate children over ... the airport wall. You saw him. He did a great job." Clark told the audience Saturday: "I am the guy that pulled the baby over the wall and it's definitely probably one of the greatest things I've ever done in my entire life." Clark then thanked the audience for their support before leaving the stage. Problem is, the Marine Corps says it wasn't Clark in the video.

Facts First:In a statement Wednesday, a US Marine Corps spokesperson said Clark was not the individual who lifted the child over a wall in the viral image and that Clark is now being investigated for his appearance at the rally. Read More "Regarding the viral photo that began circulating around August 20, 2021, the Marine identified in that particular image was not LCpl Clark," Kelton Cochran, a spokesman for the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit said in a statement. Cochran added, "The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) has initiated a command investigation regarding LCpl Hunter Clark's attendance at the event last weekend to determine if any DoD policies were violated." The Defense Department generally prohibits active duty members from speaking at partisan political gatherings. Cochran noted in his statement that "details pertaining to this incident are not releasable while the investigation is being conducted." It's not clear if there are other instances of US troops hoisting babies over the wall at the Kabul airport. The chaotic scene there lasted several days as US troops aided Afghans in the withdrawal. CNN was unable to contact Clark directly. Asked by phone Thursday evening if her son stood by his comments at Saturday's rally, Clark's mother Peggy Clark told CNN, "He's not going to comment on that." "He's asked that I not give out any information right now," she said. "He can't do any interviews or speak with anybody right now. I'm sorry." "He's got to go through some things and when he gets the chance and can do that then I'm sure he'll make a statement."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Trump has an uncanny ability to sniff out the most unscrupulous person in a situation, and then parade them around like a showpiece.

Also, the mother creeped me out with this phone statement to CNN:

"He's got to go through some things and when he gets the chance and can do that then I'm sure he'll make a statement."

'Go through some things'?   Those are the exact words Trump used in his quid pro quo phone call to Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky to discredit the flawless reputation of  Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Depending on the Corps findings be may not be a Marine much longer.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3  1stwarrior    3 years ago

So, nothing can be done that is beneficial to some without being bad-mouthed because of the circumstances???

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  1stwarrior @3    3 years ago
"Regarding the viral photo that began circulating around August 20, 2021, the Marine identified in that particular image was not LCpl Clark," Kelton Cochran, a spokesman for the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit said in a statement. 

It wasn't him but he said it was:

Clark told the audience Saturday: "I am the guy that pulled the baby over the wall and it's definitely probably one of the greatest things I've ever done in my entire life."

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @3    3 years ago

What circumstances? He lied and now the Corps is investigating him. As you're well aware attending a political rally and speaking is not looked on with favor in the military. Lying even less so.

Kudos to the real Marine that did pull the baby over the fence.

Professor Guide
3.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  1stwarrior @3    3 years ago
So, nothing can be done that is beneficial to some without being bad-mouthed because of the circumstances???

1st, he lied.  That should piss you off to no end.  And even if he didn't lie, bragging about one's own heroic deeds is not the mark of a true Marine.  I'm certain that as a Marine, you did wonderful and heroic deeds during your active service.  But I have never once seen you brag about it, or draw attention to it, or use it for personal gain.  Same thing with Kav and many others here. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Is this what they call a case of stolen valor? I mean...he lied about being the Marine who saved the baby didn't he?

Did he attend the rally in his uniform?

Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 years ago
Did he attend the rally in his uniform?

No, he was in civies.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1    3 years ago

At least he got that part right. I think they hang you from a yard arm in the Marines if you do something that bad

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Either way he is a clown, but I would hold off on the stolen valor for a minute, to give him time to produce a picture of HIM pulling a baby over the wall. It is possible it happened more than once. 

As far as promoting Trump , of course that is a disgrace. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    3 years ago

Sea stories .... an age old tradition in the Navy and Marine Corps.   Many a lie is usually told at private get togethers and are usually completely harmless.   Unfortunately it appears he wasn't smart enough to keep that BS between just him and his drinking buddies.   Whoopee do and the UCMJ will handle it.

It's not like he's a traitor like Bergdahl is but to hear some of you talk he's worse.   Worse he should get is a General Discharge, best he gets is a rank knock to PFC/Private and/or a pay penalty.